BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Beware of Simon's Shine Shop in Chicago

05-02-2023, 11:32 AM   #1
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
They have no business doing PPF. There are so many other places: Lustr, Luminescent Detailing, Chicago Auto Pros, Auto Image, All Wraps, and tons of others that can do WAY better work.

I’ve held off on sharing there name for months, this work was done in November, but they don’t want to do anything except redo the entire job, which to me isn’t even remotely acceptable.

There’s not a chance in hell I let them have a second crack at my car.

Here’s the review I left them on Google. I’m not one to review, this is my first ever review: https://g.co/kgs/3Szemj

I didn’t add in the review, but after I showed them the work they said yeah we’ll redo the whole thing. I then called for months without a response. I pulled my call records from Verizon and in the last 60 days I called like 25 times and no one ever answered. Right after calling I called from my work cell and got a someone to pickup 3x in a row. At that point it was apparent they were ignoring me.

They finally replied to an email and said that I voided the warranty by having another shop remove it and that all they were willing to do was redo the whole job. They weren’t even willing to give me $500 back to cover the cost of removing it.

I paid between $6-7K I don’t remember exactly cause it was during their Black Friday sale, which in hindsight is red flag #1.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 12:39 PM   #2
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
This review is no longer available.
Google says this.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 12:46 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyf90 View Post
They have no business doing PPF. There are so many other places: Lustr, Luminescent Detailing, Chicago Auto Pros, Auto Image, All Wraps, and tons of others that can do WAY better work.

I’ve held off on sharing there name for months, this work was done in November, but they don’t want to do anything except redo the entire job, which to me isn’t even remotely acceptable.

There’s not a chance in hell I let them have a second crack at my car.

Here’s the review I left them on Google. I’m not one to review, this is my first ever review: https://g.co/kgs/3Szemj

I didn’t add in the review, but after I showed them the work they said yeah we’ll redo the whole thing. I then called for months without a response. I pulled my call records from Verizon and in the last 60 days I called like 25 times and no one ever answered. Right after calling I called from my work cell and got a someone to pickup 3x in a row. At that point it was apparent they were ignoring me.

They finally replied to an email and said that I voided the warranty by having another shop remove it and that all they were willing to do was redo the whole job. They weren’t even willing to give me $500 back to cover the cost of removing it.

I paid between $6-7K I don’t remember exactly cause it was during their Black Friday sale, which in hindsight is red flag #1.
So sorry you went through this. There are so many PPF horror stories out there.

Forgive me for posing an obvious question, but is there any chance you can dispute this charge with your credit card company? Many companies give you 6 months for a dispute, so you may be outside of that window, but it’s worth a shot.
      05-02-2023, 01:58 PM   #4
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post

Forgive me for posing an obvious question, but is there any chance you can dispute this charge with your credit card company? Many companies give you 6 months for a dispute, so you may be outside of that window, but it’s worth a shot.
What he said..if you gave them ample opportunity to fix the issue but they literally ignored you, charge dispute time.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #5
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:

This.

Hopefully the CC company is willing to toll the time considering the shop did prolonge things. I would just dispute it and not bother dealing with the shop anymore.

If that doesn’t work, go down there with a baseball bat and smash their fuckin- … Nevermind.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #6
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Wanted to provide an update — I spoke to Eastman who manufactures Llumar PPF. I was told by the shop they would use Llumar Matte. I have an invoice to prove it. Today, I spoke with Eastman and they said Simons has never ordered Matte PPF from them and the manufacturer is now investigating because clearly they are using some cheaper film and trying to pass it off as an established brand. I called the shop to add this to the list of shit they did. They hung up! 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #7
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
I'll be another to add to the suggestion to just dispute the charge (if you used a card, and it is with in the time frame your card issue allows).

As a real estate developer, this is an angle I use on a regular basis, and 50% of times, the vendor gets in line before I have to dispute. The remaining 50%, 25% get in line once the bank yanks the $ from their account, and they're forced to make it right if they want their $. The last 25% I usually dispute it, and get the money back, and never hear another word about it. Happened with an appliance vendor who i paid $15,000.00 for a full set of kitchen appliances.I paid for delivery, paid for install, and the day they came to deliver, they didn't have installers with them. They showed up several hours after the appt time, no one was at the project, so they left $15,000.00 worth of brand new appliances in the dirt out front, they didnt call to say they were late, didnt call to set new appt, I called tried to figure out what was going on, they became assholes about it, so I said fine, refund my delivery charge, refund the install, they told me to pound sand and F off.

So naturally, I immediately called Amex to dispute the charge, and Amex refunded me. Never heard another word from Amex about it, never heard a word from the appliance vendor. I paid someone else to install, and bring inside the home. And that was over a year ago. LOL. Yet to hear anything from them or AMEX about it. So far I got 15,000.00 in appliances for free.

Not that I was trying to get that much back, but it was probably $1,500.00 for delivery and installation etc, but it was all one charge, so disputed the whole thing. Fully planned to just ask for the 1500.00 back, or they could keep it, just do what they were paid for.

Never heard a word. LOL.
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

I’ll chime in for the dispute debate. A while back I had a huge argument with the shop that would work on my semi truck. They would do the engine work that was worth in excess of $10K. I paid with a card. Card was master card from Citi. Some Diamond BS from them. How wasn’t done right since symptoms remained the same. About $6K in parts and reminder in labor. Long story short they would refuse to dispute the charge unless I would “return items to the merchant” multiple hours and phone calls and letters later I finally gave up. Now if OP will be in same situation and credit card company acts the same I’d like to see home returning protection film to the merchant… sarcasm aside not so simple. When labor charge is involved, it’s not that simple to request chargeback successfully. Good luck OP. I am from Roselle by the way. Good to know of a shop to avoid.
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2023, 04:46 PM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
I’ll chime in for the dispute debate. A while back I had a huge argument with the shop that would work on my semi truck. They would do the engine work that was worth in excess of $10K. I paid with a card. Card was master card from Citi. Some Diamond BS from them. How wasn’t done right since symptoms remained the same. About $6K in parts and reminder in labor. Long story short they would refuse to dispute the charge unless I would “return items to the merchant” multiple hours and phone calls and letters later I finally gave up. Now if OP will be in same situation and credit card company acts the same I’d like to see home returning protection film to the merchant… sarcasm aside not so simple. When labor charge is involved, it’s not that simple to request chargeback successfully. Good luck OP. I am from Roselle by the way. Good to know of a shop to avoid.
I think this depends on the card issuer. If I had a situation like yours, I’d dump them immediately. There are plenty of card issuers who would (and should!) have your back in that type of situation. Refusing to at least register the dispute is ridiculous. The dispute process is the time to argue about what happened, not before.

I primarily use a high tier American Express card and they would never pull that kind of crap. I have disputed labor related charges before with no difficulty, one for $14K just a few years ago. Dispute was entered immediately, and I was credited the full amount, and I didn’t have anywhere near the strong leg your scenario stands on.
      05-06-2023, 08:07 PM   #10
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
I think this depends on the card issuer. If I had a situation like yours, I’d dump them immediately. There are plenty of card issuers who would (and should!) have your back in that type of situation. Refusing to at least register the dispute is ridiculous. The dispute process is the time to argue about what happened, not before.

I primarily use a high tier American Express card and they would never pull that kind of crap. I have disputed labor related charges before with no difficulty, one for $14K just a few years ago. Dispute was entered immediately, and I was credited the full amount, and I didn’t have anywhere near the strong leg your scenario stands on.
Yeah. As unfortunate as it was they accepted dispute however they said based on their policy I have to return items to the merchant. Now with parts being inside the engine it was kind of impossible to return them unless I would pay another shop to disassemble engine… I still have that crappy card but stopped using it right after. I should’ve taken this to attention of the attorney general offfixe since those corporations don’t want to deal with government bodies but it was too late i believe when this came to my mind.now guess why most of the shops don’t accent AMEX or Discover
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2023, 10:30 PM   #11
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
Yeah. As unfortunate as it was they accepted dispute however they said based on their policy I have to return items to the merchant. Now with parts being inside the engine it was kind of impossible to return them unless I would pay another shop to disassemble engine… I still have that crappy card but stopped using it right after. I should’ve taken this to attention of the attorney general offfixe since those corporations don’t want to deal with government bodies but it was too late i believe when this came to my mind.now guess why most of the shops don’t accent AMEX or Discover
Agree with ResIpsaLoquitur

Ive done it several times with AMEX (platinum card), never an issue. Ive also done it with Bank of America, they were pretty good about it. Amex Platinum also offers warranties and, replacement, purchase protection on certain things. Ive used that before also. I bought a golf club that just didnt work for me, and the merchant wouldn't take it back, even though it was with in their return policy. But even if it wasnt, Amex didnt care, they credited me. With out a dispute on the actual charge. Also have had my cell phone replaced by Amex for free when I dropped it and broke it, only main stipulation was I had to use my Amex Platinum to pay my cell phone bill (which I do anyway).

The main reason some smaller businesses dont take Amex is because they have a little higher processing fees for their merchants (I think).

But agreed, you should have been able to explain it to the card issuer that it's not as simple to just remove the part or whatever it is. And in that regard, IF it was as simple as just it off and having to return to the merchant.... you could just return it with their return policy? LOL thats what I would have told the bank. Then if that didn't work, then dispute. I know with Bank of America theyre very specific on the reasoning for the dispute and some of the reasons require more or less documentation, or some are easier to prove against the merchant. Depending how it's worded.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2023, 02:32 AM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
Agree with ResIpsaLoquitur

Ive done it several times with AMEX (platinum card), never an issue. Ive also done it with Bank of America, they were pretty good about it. Amex Platinum also offers warranties and, replacement, purchase protection on certain things. Ive used that before also. I bought a golf club that just didnt work for me, and the merchant wouldn't take it back, even though it was with in their return policy. But even if it wasnt, Amex didnt care, they credited me. With out a dispute on the actual charge. Also have had my cell phone replaced by Amex for free when I dropped it and broke it, only main stipulation was I had to use my Amex Platinum to pay my cell phone bill (which I do anyway).

The main reason some smaller businesses dont take Amex is because they have a little higher processing fees for their merchants (I think).

But agreed, you should have been able to explain it to the card issuer that it's not as simple to just remove the part or whatever it is. And in that regard, IF it was as simple as just it off and having to return to the merchant.... you could just return it with their return policy? LOL thats what I would have told the bank. Then if that didn't work, then dispute. I know with Bank of America theyre very specific on the reasoning for the dispute and some of the reasons require more or less documentation, or some are easier to prove against the merchant. Depending how it's worded.
AmEx is fantastic like that, from customer service, to disputes, to product protection. But you are correct, all these services come at a cost to the business. If I’m ever purchasing anything from anyone that I deem remotely shady, it goes on AmEx for sure for these reasons. Of course, all the protections for the cardholder come with the fact that the businesses that accept these cards are paying significantly higher transaction and processing fees with AmEx than they are with Visa and MC. I can tell you that my firm doles out no less than 6.5% (and sometime more) between the transaction and processing fees for all amounts paid into our IOLTA accounts — double what I pay for Visa and MC. But most of my clientele use AmEx if they’re not paying cash or check, so of course I accept it. At the end of the day, it’s a cost we work into our business model, just like any other.
      05-07-2023, 02:33 AM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyf90 View Post
Wanted to provide an update — I spoke to Eastman who manufactures Llumar PPF. I was told by the shop they would use Llumar Matte. I have an invoice to prove it. Today, I spoke with Eastman and they said Simons has never ordered Matte PPF from them and the manufacturer is now investigating because clearly they are using some cheaper film and trying to pass it off as an established brand. I called the shop to add this to the list of shit they did. They hung up! 😂
Oh boy, this gets worse and worse. Reach out to your card issuer with this additional evidence. This may sway them towards honoring a dispute.
      05-12-2023, 12:10 PM   #14
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Wow…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0