home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

05-18-2023, 10:56 PM   #1
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Dash cam hardwire.

No need to reinvent the wheel, this tutorial works perfectly for our cars. Had mine in very quickly. Followed this exactly.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1889381

xraymd308.50
T_U_D6687.00
LCDRJohn607.50
Tag18392.50
      06-03-2023, 09:57 PM   #2
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
No need to reinvent the wheel, this tutorial works perfectly for our cars. Had mine in very quickly. Followed this exactly.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1889381

Love the Bondurant Poster on the wall!

You have a real collectible there too. Radford did not want to license the brand, so it is gone forever. Really was a wonderful school too. It was cool to see Bob run those mopars around the track (RIP).
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7448.00
      06-03-2023, 10:01 PM   #3
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
Love the Bondurant Poster on the wall!

You have a real collectible there too. Radford did not want to license the brand, so it is gone forever. Really was a wonderful school too. It was cool to see Bob run those mopars around the track (RIP).
Ha yeah I loved that school. Taught me how to toss the boat of the Challenger around the track. Of course, the poster is me hitting an apex.
      06-04-2023, 03:18 PM   #4
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Quote:
Ha yeah I loved that school. Taught me how to toss the boat of the Challenger around the track. Of course, the poster is me hitting an apex.
That is super cool!

Better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. A challenger will teach physics far better than something like a Nissan GTR. We drove Ford econoline Vans and suburbans the first time I took the course! Haha!

The last time I was there, I got to run a Viper ACR for 4 days. Back then, Bondurant allowed custom "racer development" groups and bring in pro drivers depending on your goals. We were supposed to get a GM factory driver (Lally), but wound up with Justin Bell. (derek bell's son). He was a Oreca Viper guy and won lemans, so he really brought the A-game. Those Vipers were so sweet that one guy in our group bought one via telephone during the course! LOL! I was so sad when Bob passed away. The Radford folks actually allowed him to stay on and greet classes. I always thought that was a classy move by them. I'll miss the place for sure.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7448.00
      06-04-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
That is super cool!

Better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. A challenger will teach physics far better than something like a Nissan GTR. We drove Ford econoline Vans and suburbans the first time I took the course! Haha!

The last time I was there, I got to run a Viper ACR for 4 days. Back then, Bondurant allowed custom "racer development" groups and bring in pro drivers depending on your goals. We were supposed to get a GM factory driver (Lally), but wound up with Justin Bell. (derek bell's son). He was a Oreca Viper guy and won lemans, so he really brought the A-game. Those Vipers were so sweet that one guy in our group bought one via telephone during the course! LOL! I was so sad when Bob passed away. The Radford folks actually allowed him to stay on and greet classes. I always thought that was a classy move by them. I'll miss the place for sure.
That's a cool story!

Yeah RIP Bob. He greeted our class as well.

You got that right about learning on that Challenger, helps me understand my M2 so much better.
      06-13-2023, 08:04 PM   #6
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

I'm too scared to touch the fuse box, but good knowing it can be done. I've had a garmin dashcam for years and I just keep running it off the 12V. Lol.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 08:15 PM   #7
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Just "add a fuse." Nothing crazy.
      06-28-2023, 04:55 PM   #8
Hypori
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Just "add a fuse." Nothing crazy.
I'm planning to do this too, but with a Viofo A129. Anything I should be wary of? I have no experience whatsoever doing this or anything similar. But doesn't seem too difficult with the guide.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 05:09 PM   #9
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypori View Post
I'm planning to do this too, but with a Viofo A129. Anything I should be wary of? I have no experience whatsoever doing this or anything similar. But doesn't seem too difficult with the guide.
Just read the whole linked thread for extra tips like the ones at the end regarding A-pillar routing.
      06-28-2023, 05:11 PM   #10
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Someone heard about the FITCAMX Dashcam? it comes with a new Rearviewmirror cover an ist integrated in the cover, gets power through a y-connector to the mirror ( so no wiring to a fusebox, no wires)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 05:14 PM   #11
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
Someone heard about the FITCAMX Dashcam? it comes with a new Rearviewmirror cover an ist integrated in the cover, gets power through a y-connector to the mirror ( so no wiring to a fusebox, no wires)

I have one of those in my Mazda CX-50, and for what it is, it's decent. However, in the M2, I wanted the newest sensor for dashcams and there aren't many models with it yet, hence I went with the viofo 139 pro.

If all you're looking for is the ability to protect yourself in insurance claims or prove accidents and such, the fitcam max is great. I wanted a little better picture because I may use it to make videos from time to time.
      07-01-2023, 10:58 PM   #12
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

By the way, here's why you need a dash cam. Keep your head on a swivel and be ready for people casually drifting into your lane. Fortunately I was able to quickly discern that I could "thread the gap" but had I not been able to, this would have been an accident, and my footage would have been valuable.

08-28-2023, 09:47 AM   #13
M-2'ned
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M-2

Quote:
...and my footage would have been valuable.
Or incriminating!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 10:19 AM   #14
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2'ned View Post
Or incriminating!
Nope, not in this case.
      08-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #15
M-2'ned
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M-2

Quote:
Nope, not in this case.
I will take your word for it. I initially thought to myself, wow he's passing those people like they are standing still... but maybe they were just driving well below the speed limit! Was it a Sunday?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 02:53 PM   #16
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2'ned View Post
I will take your word for it. I initially thought to myself, wow he's passing those people like they are standing still... but maybe they were just driving well below the speed limit! Was it a Sunday?
People don't understand fisheye perspective. I was doing no more than 7 over. Regardless, he drifted into my lane.
      09-09-2023, 09:05 PM   #17
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

I have a Vifo A119 v3 that I used in my Mustang and my Honda Accord. I'm generally pretty good with this wiring automotive accessories sort of thing, but I have never been able to figure out why my Vifo doesn't seem to function properly. It just records endlessly until the car battery runs down. Even if I use the power cut off on the wiring harness set to the highest setting it just doesn't seem to work right. I can't seem to find the 'right' settings for it to not just record endlessly.

Basically, just like the Vortex Radar guy says the Vifo did in his wife's vehicle in this video. Now, this guy knows how to do this by now I'm sure:

https://youtu.be/5jwbHfT-7Co?si=KIhaFZ9OkOY5g-Q6

He also touches on the topic of how sensitive BMW's are in particular to power draw while the vehicle is turned off. My Mustang shut down certain functions like the key-less access on the passenger door when the battery got to a certain voltage. That prompted a big fiasco with warranty service that needlessly replaced the door handle and they took the door apart when all the car really needed was a new battery.

I still can't believe they didn't identify the issue as a low voltage shutdown of certain functions, but so it goes. It is a documented thing the car does. The Ford app even announces that certain remote functions are disabled due to low battery voltage.

I've been considering one of the battery packs for the new car to isolate the battery drain, but even that might pose a bit of a dilemma on how to properly connect it to power. I see mentions of using a relay to connect one to the battery directly, etc.

I'm sort of catching the vibe that the service techs for BMW might really scrutinize any electrical modifications too? Has anyone experienced catching flak for wiring in aftermarket accessories like these?

Is it sometimes better to work with them to try to get something like this installed to avoid any future warranty implications?

Last edited by Fastfwd; 10-04-2023 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 09:26 AM   #18
Landiah
Rep
Drives: g87 m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
I have a Vifo A119 v2 that I used in my Mustang and my Honda Accord. I'm generally pretty good with this wiring automotive accessories sort of thing, but I have never been able to figure out why my Vifo doesn't seem to function properly. It just records endlessly until the car battery runs down. Even if I use the power cut off on the wiring harness set to the highest setting it just doesn't seem to work right. I can't seem to find the 'right' settings for it to not just record endlessly.

Basically, just like the Vortex Radar guy says the Vifo did in his wife's vehicle in this video. Now, this guy knows how to do this by now I'm sure:

He also touches on the topic of how sensitive BMW's are in particular to power draw while the vehicle is turned off. My Mustang shut down certain functions like the key-less access on the passenger door when the battery got to a certain voltage. That prompted a big fiasco with warranty service that needlessly replaced the door handle and they took the door apart when all the car really needed was a new battery.

I still can't believe they didn't identify the issue as a low voltage shutdown of certain functions, but so it goes. It is a documented thing the car does. The Ford app even announces that certain remote functions are disabled due to low battery voltage.

I've been considering one of the battery packs for the new car to isolate the battery drain, but even that might pose a bit of a dilemma on how to properly connect it to power. I see mentions of using a relay to connect one to the battery directly, etc.

I'm sort of catching the vibe that the service techs for BMW might really scrutinize any electrical modifications too? Has anyone experienced catching flak for wiring in aftermarket accessories like these?

Is it sometimes better to work with them to try to get something like this installed to avoid any future warranty implications?

Any update on this? Having the safe issue with my Viofo.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 10:12 AM   #19
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
I have a Vifo A119 v2 that I used in my Mustang and my Honda Accord. I'm generally pretty good with this wiring automotive accessories sort of thing, but I have never been able to figure out why my Vifo doesn't seem to function properly. It just records endlessly until the car battery runs down. Even if I use the power cut off on the wiring harness set to the highest setting it just doesn't seem to work right. I can't seem to find the 'right' settings for it to not just record endlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiah View Post
I have the Vifo a139 Pro. I tapped the front right USB charger fuse 10A, it times off automatically. Front right fuse panel F74. F46 likely does the same thing with the auto off, 20A for the 12v.

Last edited by Ruebarb; 10-03-2023 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #20
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiah View Post
I'm running this Vifo in my Honda Accord and it seems to shut off properly. I hate to admit that maybe I wired it backward, but it's possible. After watching that power source video I noticed that Vifo wiring is possibly a bit confusing as to which is switched and which is full time power. Seems like I ran it multiple ways in my Mustang with the same results, but who knows.
Appreciate 0