E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Swaping a n54 from a 335i into a 320i

06-07-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
Cagruntas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320i

Swaping a n54 from a 335i into a 320i

I have a BMW 320i with a n46 engine and a automatic transmission. It has been a dream of mine for a while to own a 335i but it is not possible where I live. I am from the Caribbean, a small island. There are currently no existing 335i for sale and the ones that do pop up every now and then are the equal price of a NEW BMW here.

However after speaking to companies that bring in vehicles to scrap and sell. it is affordable to import a used 335i and do the swap. What I'd like to know how viable is this?

Is the 2006 e90 320i chassis physically different from the 335i?
I have a lot of friends who are car enthusiast, also myself who would be able to do the swap.

I'd just like some confirmation from persons here who may have dome something similar if this is a possible thing to do?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 08:38 AM   #2
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagruntas View Post
I have a BMW 320i with a n46 engine and a automatic transmission. It has been a dream of mine for a while to own a 335i but it is not possible where I live. I am from the Caribbean, a small island. There are currently no existing 335i for sale and the ones that do pop up every now and then are the equal price of a NEW BMW here.

However after speaking to companies that bring in vehicles to scrap and sell. it is affordable to import a used 335i and do the swap. What I'd like to know how viable is this?

Is the 2006 e90 320i chassis physically different from the 335i?
I have a lot of friends who are car enthusiast, also myself who would be able to do the swap.

I'd just like some confirmation from persons here who may have dome something similar if this is a possible thing to do?
Why don't you import a 335i directly? Parts are probably difficult to come accros as well for you. You can find a unmodified 60k-80k mile 335i for maybe 16k-20k in the states. I'm sure you can find someone who has the knowledge to import cars, maybe another 2-3k on top in import fees.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
Cagruntas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
Why don't you import a 335i directly? Parts are probably difficult to come accros as well for you. You can find a unmodified 60k-80k mile 335i for maybe 16k-20k in the states. I'm sure you can find someone who has the knowledge to import cars, maybe another 2-3k on top in import fees.
The issue with that is, in my country we only use right hand drive vehicles and we cannot license any imported vehicle more than 5 years old. If it were easy as what you explained above, I would have done that route first.

But I need to import from the UK because all the EURO vehicles there are RHD.

So that's the current situation I am in so my only option is to get the guts from a 335i and put it in mine.

With respect to finding parts, regardless I have to order any part I want from online anyway so that won't make a difference. Even for my old 320i everything must be ordered online and imported.
Appreciate 0