home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-19-2023, 02:33 AM   #1
DenexM4
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Best exhaust mod at exhaust shop

Hi all,

I’ve just picked up my new 2023 G80 Competition xDrive.

Not exactly keen on spending another 10k on a new exhaust system but damn it this thing is quiet.

Sorry if it’s already been asked but what would be the best exhaust mod that an exhaust shop can do?

Both res delete only ?
One res delete + 1 cat delete ?

I’ve heard multiple opinions… I’m after the deepest and least raspiest sound. Obviously want it loud.

Will probably then tune off BM3.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 03:43 AM   #2
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
So, I'm gonna be completely real with you. What you're asking is kind of ridiculous. Now I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but hear me out here...

You just spent close to, or over 100k on a car, depending on how you optioned it. Either way, a M3 is an expensive car, even base. That being said, you spent all that money on said car... But now you want to cheap out?

Don't take what's an amazing and beautiful car and ruin it because you now want to be cheap with it. Part of owning a BMW, is the "BMW tax". It's just part of ownership. These will be more expensive to work on than say... A Mustang or Civic. Cutting off resonators and mufflers is just rice. It's what the V6 Challenger guys or Civic boys do. On top of that, it just doesn't sound good. Yes you'll get loud, but it won't sound good (you ever hear a fart cannon civic? It's loud but sounds horrible).

Invest in a good, proper exhaust system. You'll appreciate and admire the system, as well as the car itself far more. If you can't afford it now, just save up for it. In the long run you'll be much, much happier!
Appreciate 6
Jobe10184.00
AY722.50
IDKBRO687.50
SheBMW232.00
      06-19-2023, 04:09 AM   #3
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

OP swap out the mid pipe and add a valve controller. Thats what I’m about to do. I have about 600 miles on my 2023 G80cx and I agree it’s too muffled and quiet. That will run you $3000 give or take. I added the Dahler controller and it helped a little but not enough. AA equal length is coming next.
Appreciate 3
      06-19-2023, 08:40 AM   #4
G-Breazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Grandmarquis 92, X6 21

Please don’t listen to a word of the first commenter. Looks like you just need a secondary cat delete and first resonator delete. Keep the rear resonator cause it acts as a x-pipe. All this can be complemented with a valve controller. Having the flaps 100% open makes a huge difference on this platform when it’s paired with an exhaust modification.

This will be the most budget friendly mod and yes it sounds good. I don’t personally have this set up but many of my friends do.
Appreciate 7
      06-19-2023, 09:11 AM   #5
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4nication View Post
So, I'm gonna be completely real with you. What you're asking is kind of ridiculous. Now I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but hear me out here...

You just spent close to, or over 100k on a car, depending on how you optioned it. Either way, a M3 is an expensive car, even base. That being said, you spent all that money on said car... But now you want to cheap out?

Don't take what's an amazing and beautiful car and ruin it because you now want to be cheap with it. Part of owning a BMW, is the "BMW tax". It's just part of ownership. These will be more expensive to work on than say... A Mustang or Civic. Cutting off resonators and mufflers is just rice. It's what the V6 Challenger guys or Civic boys do. On top of that, it just doesn't sound good. Yes you'll get loud, but it won't sound good (you ever hear a fart cannon civic? It's loud but sounds horrible).

Invest in a good, proper exhaust system. You'll appreciate and admire the system, as well as the car itself far more. If you can't afford it now, just save up for it. In the long run you'll be much, much happier!
No, no, and no.

Why in the hell would you spend 10k on an exhaust system when you can get the same exact sound for like 15% of that cost? He’s not cheaping out, he’s being smart. The reason why most of the people in this forum can afford these cars is because they don’t listen to stupid financial advice like yours and save their money in smart ways.

OP, res delete is not rice, just get a good mid pipe and if you really want control, a valve controller. No need to do a full exhaust on this car unless you need to go catless and plan to tune heavily for performance.
Appreciate 13
DenexM411.50
kgelfen3602311.00
r0wr592.00
CMW33364.50
Toodalu608.00
Mike02z2096.00
      06-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [10.00]
2022 BMW G82  [10.00]
Exhaust note is subjective.

The resonator delete changes the sound, not volume. This is also subjective however much research has led to me understand that BMW placed these here to lessen "unwanted frequencies". What those are and how you react to them, also subjective.

I always tell people to wait til the 1500 mile mark to decide. Your break in service completed and all parts are worn in. Now do easy iterative changes starting with a valve controller.
      06-19-2023, 10:17 AM   #7
Mcleod32084
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 M4 Comp X Drive

Garage List
The best sounding exhaust by far is the valvetronic titanium exhaust. Sounds quieter than stock w valves closed, but open them in sport + grab a gear and WOW!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-19-2023, 10:36 AM   #8
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I recently changed my midpipe and exhaust to the Dinan setup. The decision was made based on sound clips on YouTube and the price. I liked what I heard and the price was very, very good vs. the other choices.

I've had it for a week and I am very happy with the sound on the outside of the car.

Inside the car, I have the ASD fake sound disabled via deactivating the activation code with Bimmercode (see the coding section), and holy vehicle sound insulation, Batman!

Vs. my M2C, which I also changed the exhaust on, the G8x has massively superior noise insulation, and that cuts into what you're going to hear from your exhaust and engine. I haven't taken out the trunk lining, but the M2C had basically no sound insulation under the top layer of trunk trim (I spent a lot of time in the rear of that car with audio upgrades), and I'm guessing that the M3 actually has some.

I've read some exhaust mod threads where folk mention still having ASD enabled. The amount of sound that the ASD generates in the cabin is massive. Stock, it's 95% of the engine and exhaust sounds that you can actually hear. From inside the car, I do not believe anyone knows what their modified exhaust sounds like unless they've fully disabled ASD.

So...long story short...go ahead and change exhaust components, but the base vehicle you own is not a stripped-out race car. Removing sound insulation WILL be necessary if you want it to actually be all growly in the car with the windows up. With my car as it is, I CAN hear what the exhaust is doing...as long as the stereo isn't up very loud. Or put on an exhaust system that's so loud you'd get banned from tracks for the sound.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #9
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I have the full Remus exhaust which costed me $4500 overall. If you want a cheaper and more affordable option then go with a midpipe delete. Removing the secondary cats is what's going to give you the most sound. I did a decibel test between my exhaust and my friends exhaust who replaced the midpipe only and my car was 3 or 4 decibels louder.

My friend bought the midpipe below. It's from evolution racewerks and its the cheapest midpipe you can buy. Very easy install. Add a valve controller (VSC, Dinan, Dahler) to that and you'll be golden. You'll get more pops and bangs at lower speeds.

https://x-ph.com/evolution-racewerks...-exh028s-midh/

Here is the video of before and after the install.

https://youtu.be/WIpq3l4L_WU
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 10:53 AM   #10
Mcleod32084
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 M4 Comp X Drive

Garage List
valvetronic sounds
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 11:51 AM   #11
JY01
JY01
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

You don’t need to spend 10k for a good setup. I would get a MAD single midpipe and catless downpipes for less than 2k. Probably a little more expensive than going to an exhaust shop but nowhere near 10k.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 12:06 PM   #12
yaymitch
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JY01 View Post
You don’t need to spend 10k for a good setup. I would get a MAD single midpipe and catless downpipes for less than 2k. Probably a little more expensive than going to an exhaust shop but nowhere near 10k.
Downpipes will void the warranty.
      06-19-2023, 12:16 PM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
PSI Midpipe with resonator and secondary cat delete. My M4 sounds amazing, and I get compliments all the time. Roar is glorious, idle is deep.

Here's how it sounds:

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 12:44 PM   #14
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

I am very happy with my AWE non resmidpipe and AWE track exhaust setup

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 12:57 PM   #15
JY01
JY01
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Downpipes will void the warranty.
OP wants to tune so it wouldn’t matter anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 02:53 PM   #16
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
No, no, and no.

Why in the hell would you spend 10k on an exhaust system when you can get the same exact sound for like 15% of that cost? He’s not cheaping out, he’s being smart. The reason why most of the people in this forum can afford these cars is because they don’t listen to stupid financial advice like yours and save their money in smart ways.

OP, res delete is not rice, just get a good mid pipe and if you really want control, a valve controller. No need to do a full exhaust on this car unless you need to go catless and plan to tune heavily for performance.
Did I say to spend 10k on an exhaust system? No I didn't, but good job.

Anyways, there's plenty of other systems out there for less than half of 10k. And I mean full systems, catback. Full titanium. For 4-5k. Then if you go with stainless steel instead of titanium it's even less 2k-3k. Not to mention you can get used ones for even less than that off this forum (under 4k for titanium I've seen here). Maybe do some research instead of assuming everything is far more expensive? The only system I've seen that is ~$10k is Akropovic, which I agree is extremely overpriced and I'd never pay that.

P.S. buying these cars is technically a stupid financial decision lol. No one needs a ~100k (or more) BMW, even if you can afford it, yet we have them. So if a 100k car is smart to you, but a 4k exhaust system is considered "dumb" I'm not sure where your logic lies with that.
Appreciate 4
      06-19-2023, 04:14 PM   #17
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

This https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-g8x-m3-m4...race-included/

Appreciate 3
forcefed2608.50
Jax327485.50
      06-19-2023, 11:28 PM   #18
DenexM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4nication View Post

Not cheaping out here mate. I can easily afford any exhaust system I please but I wont spend unnecessarily hence why I thought I would ask the question. With the difference of 8-9k I'd rather put that money towards my kids.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2023, 11:37 PM   #19
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenexM4 View Post
Not cheaping out here mate. I can easily afford any exhaust system I please but I wont spend unnecessarily hence why I thought I would ask the question. With the difference of 8-9k I'd rather put that money towards my kids.
Which I get that completely. 10k for an exhaust system is ridiculous, that's why I'm saying you can get full titanium systems for 4k-5k new (used under 4k). Or stainless for 2-3k new (even less if used). Which is far more affordable than 10k! Haha

I think you'll enjoy the exhaust note far more on a full catback system than just simply cutting stuff off. Of course midpipe only is an option, which I think might be the way to go for you, but for a bit more (maybe 1k-2k), you can do the axleback too!

Keep in mind too, the systems I'm mentioning are valved, so you can make em loud of quiet with the push of a button, which for me is a big plus
Appreciate 1
DenexM411.50
      06-19-2023, 11:44 PM   #20
DenexM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Breazy View Post
Please don’t listen to a word of the first commenter. Looks like you just need a secondary cat delete and first resonator delete. Keep the rear resonator cause it acts as a x-pipe. All this can be complemented with a valve controller. Having the flaps 100% open makes a huge difference on this platform when it’s paired with an exhaust modification.

This will be the most budget friendly mod and yes it sounds good. I don’t personally have this set up but many of my friends do.
Thanks man this seems like a good option. Is there any other way I can permanently open the valves without getting a valve controller? Maybe the exhaust shop can get it to fully open and then maybe unplug it for me or something?

If this isn't possible, which valve controller do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 08:03 AM   #21
IronChad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

Midpipe and downpipes is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 10:09 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Doing a res or cat delete does not necessarily make the car sound better. I recommend you change the midpipe to the single design for more volume in the mid-range and a cleaner tone.

MAD, Active Autowerke and Valvetronic all offer this option. Its worth checking them out especially given the competitive pricing offered

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0