BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Replacing front bumper parking sensor… how to

06-22-2023, 08:18 AM   #1
mkaser21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Replacing front bumper parking sensor… how to

Hi all, a rock hit one of my parking sensors and needs replaced. I ordered a new sensor to get it replaced. Has anyone done this before in this particular location? I am wondering if I need to remove to the grill or can I get it replaced without doing that? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 06:51 PM   #2
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaser21 View Post
Hi all, a rock hit one of my parking sensors and needs replaced. I ordered a new sensor to get it replaced. Has anyone done this before in this particular location? I am wondering if I need to remove to the grill or can I get it replaced without doing that? Thanks in advance!
I know we had to replace my wife's but that was few years ago dealer did. Rock hit that one too.. because of the small plastic ring issue they had to change the grill
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 09:14 AM   #3
mkaser21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
I know we had to replace my wife's but that was few years ago dealer did. Rock hit that one too.. because of the small plastic ring issue they had to change the grill
Thanks. Do you recall what they charged for it or was it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 08:32 AM   #4
mkaser21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fyi I was able to easily replace the sensor myself. No need to take off the grill.
Here the steps
1. Remove the wiring harness that snaps in to the sensor (squeeze down on clips and pull)
2. Get a small flat head screw driver, and push in to the clips on the top and bottom of the sensor (in the main housing, the rectangular part, you notice a clip on the top and bottom, you can feel them when reaching in). You can push on the sensor from the outside at the same time with your thumb.
3. Once it pops out, re attach the wiring harness from number one in to the new sensor and then push back in to place. I would recommend cleaning the new sensor with a microfiber cloth, after install, in case it got dirty while installing.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 08:52 AM   #5
Johnnycakes84
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5

Hi, thanks in advance for the help!

Got a parking sensor warning message on my '22 X7, dealer says a rock hit my left front inner sensor and it's over $1K to replace.

I am fairly handy, don't mind tinkering.

First question - is this the part I need?

https://www.bmwdirectparts.com/oem-p...or-66209826953

Second question - what are the steps? I read the previous post - where is the wiring harness, where do I start? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaser21 View Post
Fyi I was able to easily replace the sensor myself. No need to take off the grill.
Here the steps
1. Remove the wiring harness that snaps in to the sensor (squeeze down on clips and pull)
2. Get a small flat head screw driver, and push in to the clips on the top and bottom of the sensor (in the main housing, the rectangular part, you notice a clip on the top and bottom, you can feel them when reaching in). You can push on the sensor from the outside at the same time with your thumb.
3. Once it pops out, re attach the wiring harness from number one in to the new sensor and then push back in to place. I would recommend cleaning the new sensor with a microfiber cloth, after install, in case it got dirty while installing.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 01:35 PM   #6
Johnnycakes84
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5

Here are pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0