home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

06-27-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Apple CarPlay issue

So, I was leaving today for a trip to the Hill Country (some beautiful roads, if you’re ever in Texas) and my CarPlay started to glitch.

It would connect to the phone and then seconds later disconnect. Looking on the phone, it was showing that the WiFi connection wasn’t connected to the internet.

I removed the phone and re-added it, but no luck. The phone just updated itself, not sure if that is the cause?

Anyone got any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 11:33 PM   #2
Fahfoofnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230i LCI

The things I try in various cars when CarPlay acts up, besides all the things you've already tried and done:
  • 1. Hard reset your phone (NOT a Restore -- just a hard reset, info here
    2. Ensure your iPhone is up to to date/run iOS version updates
    3. Understand it's not possible while on a road trip, but turning off the car/leaving it completely off ("Don't even look at it") for at least 30 minutes
    4. Now more drastic things -- Reset All Network Settings (you'll lose your wi-fi passwords and such, may have to reconnect other Bluetooth devices)
    5. The dreaded Restore your iPhone (from an earlier iCloud backup or a backup done on your Mac/iTunes on a PC)

#'s 4 and 5 are always a last resort as they're a bit destructive and time consuming. All of these are, of course, when you come to the conclusion that your iPhone is the problem and not the car/car software (which of course I'm sure you've checked to ensure it is up to date). Finding another vehicle to try your phone with its CarPlay unit is something I always try when possible, at least before trying #'a 4 and 5 -- and after testing for awhile in another vehicle, you can decide which of the two (the iPhone or your car) is the problem.
Appreciate 1
AndyinHou479.00
      07-25-2023, 12:32 PM   #3
jduplooy
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2023 X5 M501

I have similar issues occasionally on my wife's X5 and my M2. Totally random without much explanation.

I actually find that the most successful solution is to 'forget' the phone on the car infotainment, then 'forget' the car from the phone bluetooth.

Once complete, perform a hard reset of the infotainment system. You hit hold the power on the volume for about 10-30 seconds. Things go a little crazy on restart, but just wait it out until its fully restarted.

Once restarted, attempt to re-pair the phone with the radio as if it was new.

It should connect to Bluetooth, then ask if you want to enable CarPlay.

This has been the most consistent fix for me, albeit a major pain.

Also...do this while parked....it can take a min or two and would be super distracting if driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 06:49 PM   #4
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Hard reset the car and/or phone. That’ll fix it 95% of the time.
      08-24-2023, 07:35 AM   #5
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2024, Mustang MACH 1

All good advice I feel like I tried everything, still no luck. Could it be that what I'm getting is a different issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn607.50
      08-24-2023, 08:46 AM   #6
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

dealer need to install new Software... then issue is gone
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 09:46 AM   #7
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscross View Post
All good advice I feel like I tried everything, still no luck. Could it be that what I'm getting is a different issue?
Try deleting your phone from the car, forgetting the Bluetooth BMWXXXX connection and the CarPlay connection. After doing all 3, re add the phone to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
dealer need to install new Software... then issue is gone
That’s not true. I started having this message show up for me AFTER dealer updated iDrive. It’s just a random issue I don’t know the cause. But it fixes itself.
Appreciate 0