BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

06-29-2023, 05:06 AM   #1
Hassan1490
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i, X3, M5, i4M50

This is why I find the current 5-Series is way inferior to the previous LCI!

Yesterday, I checked the configurator and tried to build the I5M60.
I currently have an F10 535 as one of my cars, and I need to replace it soon. I was very fine with many controversial BMW cars released before, but I can't help myself trying to accept the current 5 series for multiple reasons.

1- The major drawback is the design. In fact, it is not bad, but very subtle, dull, and uninspiring at best. The car lacks the aggressive and sporty character of the previous 5 Series or probably any high-end BMW car.

2- The performance. As a matter of fact, BMW killed the competition with its rivals in terms of performance during the last 5 years. All M cars used to be quicker than AMG and RS cars, but I think this is the end of the era. They released the XM to compete with the Cayenne Turbo S and Urus Perfomante, but it is way slower than these cars. Even the extremely overpriced Label Red is slower than these cars. Same story with the 7 Series. The Mercedes AMG S63 E Performance with 800hp doesn't have any competition from BMW. Even the most powerful M76i is slow compared to the previous generation. The current M760e does 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. The old V12 M760 does 0-60 in 3.5! On the other hand, the current highest S class trim does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds!

This is my current complaint regarding the i5 M60. It is way slower than the AMG EQE. I really want to buy a high-performance i5 that is the best and quickest among its rivals, but it doesn't exist.

I was also surprised when I checked the 530i which is slower than the previous generation (0-6 in 5.9 seconds). Just imagine a basic Kia and Hyundai are now much quicker than the $70K BMW! So, why is BMW neglecting one of its best car features?

3- The car interior is basic in my opinion. I never bought a car with a dark interior, but when I tried to specs the i5 with white leather, I found out that color comes for the seats and a small part of each door. It doesn't cover the ceiling, the gloves compartments, the dash, or even the full door.

4- No Alcantara headliner.
5- No massage seats.
6- The back seat cup holder is now designed in a very cheap way inside the hands rest. Just like in an Elantra or Corolla.
7- No back seat airplane pockets like in all previous 5 series cars.
8- The speed limit for a performance-oriented i5 M50 is only 130 Mph. Just why?.

I started to think of getting another EV like Model S or EQE (I know it is ugly), or waiting for the RS6 E-Tron.

I'm afraid the next disappointment is gonna be the M5. It will use the same horrible powertrain of the XM with a detuned version of only 718hp, but gain lots of weight from that hybrid battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 06:08 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Re 4 , suspect that will come. When the g30 was released , Alcantara was only available after the first 6 months. I suspect this will be the case with other options that are not there at present. Presumably it takes time to get everything sorted and they have to prioritise certain things for the launch

Re 8 , down to the tyres. Current cars if summer specified apparently the limit is 155mph. So maybe the tyre choice will change at a later date
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 03:22 PM   #3
Jim_Shannon1
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 740i X

Overweight 5 series

The other item I find troubling is the weight of the new 530X drive. It is listed at 4158 lbs. My current 2022 740iX has a curb weight of 4381 lbs. The 2022 540iX is only 3957. Why is the new 4 cylinder 5 series so heavy?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 05:13 PM   #4
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Don’t forget that the 5 series no longer has soft close doors as an option and the comfort seat has no adjustable upper back.
RoGo330i144.00