BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Thinking of switching from F80 to M550i

07-05-2023, 03:39 AM   #1
Kimd41
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M5

Thinking of switching from F80 to M550i

Hello guys!

I currently own a F80 M3, which I love but at the same time I hate it. I was unlucky and got a bad unit, so I’ve spent countless of hours and hours fixing problems myself, and they keep appearing and I’m tired of it. I’m also tired of the excessive harsh ride, maybe I’m just getting old idk and I dont even track it.

Anyway, I’m thinking of a replacement and the M550i seems like a good candidate. I would buy it second hand from Germany.

Have some questions:

- does the 530hp justify the price increase (10k €) over the 462hp version?
NOTE: I plan to go stage 1.

- is there any visual way of differentiating US and EU versions? For example on the F3x/F8x the US had a AM/FM button but the EU had a traffic icon instead.

- what are the differences between US and EU? There are a lot of US imports.

Thanks a lot guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 04:15 AM   #2
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
It’s not only about the power difference, the engine in the LCI (well, incl 2020) is the latest edition - I would say yes it does warrant the extra price.

Not sure if there is anything too obvious between US and EUR models, except maybe the M logo in the flanks is in different position. But I think you can check the market version via a VIN checker (mdecoder).

I trust you are comfortable with buying from Germany, but based on personal experience here are lots of “beaten up” high performance cars - hit the Autobahn with everything cold in the car and smash the accelerator… No immediate damage, but when this happens over and over again, means no good to anyone looking at buying second hand. I looked at this option a year ago (M6), but ditched it as everything I was able to find seemed abused…

Good luck with the search!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 04:22 AM   #3
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

the M550i may have the same performance numbers as the M3 but i will warn you that
- it handles and drives like a boat
- terrible throttle pedal lag (can be fixed by installing a throttle voltage trick device)
- bouncy suspension

apart from that it's a great car
Appreciate 1
PPMKING69.00
      07-05-2023, 05:10 AM   #4
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
the M550i may have the same performance numbers as the M3 but i will warn you that
- it handles and drives like a boat
- terrible throttle pedal lag (can be fixed by installing a throttle voltage trick device)
- bouncy suspension

apart from that it's a great car
So it’s a great car when it’s sitting in the driveway or already at highway cruising speeds - coming from a guy who ditched it after a few months I don’t disagree
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 06:47 AM   #5
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

I haven't driven an M3 or M5, so I can't compare, but it definitely does not feel like a boat to me. It is very responsive, handles great, and is very comfortable. It IS heavy though, so that affects handling, but man I'm impressed how well it does around curves nevertheless (you need to adjust your driving style for a bigger, heavier car to get more out of it).

When I was in the market for a MY20(+) I did some general reading and found this link to be very informative: https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n63-vs-n63t...tu2-vs-n63tu3/

From there, I read the technical training manuals for the TU2 (462 hp) and TU3 (523 hp), easily obtainable via a Google search or a thread search on this forum). Here are the key updates to the TU3 noted in those docs:

- additional power
- valve stem material more durable.
- larger turbos now with blow-off valves + one-piece wastegate valves are used to increase robustness.
- air coolers now have a bypass line (improved throttle response, low-end torque, and acoustics).
- forged connecting rod from S63TU4.
- a reinforced stopper layer has been introduced in the N63TU3 cylinder head in the area of the cylinder bores.
- high pressure HDE 6 injectors increase fuel injection pressure from 200 bar to now 350 bar resulting in improved engine response under high engine load and under 'dynamic engine operation'.
- new material for the crankshaft main bearing shell and different method of crankshaft balancing.
- newly developed cast pistons because the cylinder walls are now electric arc wire sprayed.
- hot film air mass meter is no longer used - the air mass drawn into the N63TU3 engine is not measured directly by a hot film air mass meter and is instead calculated in the Digital Motor Electronics (the legally required monitoring of the crankcase ventilation for leakage in US versions is achieved in the N63TU3 engine via the crankcase pressure sensor. For this reason, the hot film air mass meter could also be deleted in the US version).
- ignition system is adopted from the modular B engines, which is seemingly more robust versus the rod-type ignition system in the TU2.
- Finally, the TU3 comes with a standard electronic Limited Slip Differential.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 1
NGT25793.00
      07-05-2023, 10:10 AM   #6
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I have a a non LCI (462hp) M550i and a lot of time behind the wheel of an F82.

I personally would take the M550i for my needs, but they are very different cars.

The M550i actually feels noticeably faster off the line to me. It’s “easier” to get it up to speed.

The M550i’s ride is completely different. It isolates you from the road. It’s luxury, not even sport luxury. The F8x is pure sport, at least by my standards. It’s at a level where it’s more fun for around 30 minutes, after that it gets tiring.

The same can be said for the seats. I’m not a fan of the F8x’s. They support one well, but are very firm. The G30 multi contour seats are plush in all the right spots while being supportive. They feel like a comfy sofa you can collapse into. They massage your back too, if optioned.

F8x’s handling is on a completely different level, as expected. Dramatically more connected to the road. But the M550i is agile for its size, especially if you option dhp.

I like engine tone of the M550i better, but it’s quiet from the factory. Which suits me just fine.

One obvious difference between EU and US is that I believe some EU countries have 4-zone climate control and all at least have it available, while it’s effectively unavailable in the US. The climate control panel in the front looks different as a result, and the us spec won’t have rear climate controls.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1572206

Us also doesn’t have Galvanic controls (the grey/silver ones) available.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 02:15 PM   #7
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
I haven't driven an M3 or M5, so I can't compare, but it definitely does not feel like a boat to me. It is very responsive, handles great, and is very comfortable. It IS heavy though, so that affects handling, but man I'm impressed how well it does around curves nevertheless (you need to adjust your driving style for a bigger, heavier car to get more out of it).

When I was in the market for a MY20(+) I did some general reading and found this link to be very informative: https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n63-vs-n63t...tu2-vs-n63tu3/

From there, I read the technical training manuals for the TU2 (462 hp) and TU3 (523 hp), easily obtainable via a Google search or a thread search on this forum). Here are the key updates to the TU3 noted in those docs:

- additional power
- valve stem material more durable.
- larger turbos now with blow-off valves + one-piece wastegate valves are used to increase robustness.
- air coolers now have a bypass line (improved throttle response, low-end torque, and acoustics).
- forged connecting rod from S63TU4.
- a reinforced stopper layer has been introduced in the N63TU3 cylinder head in the area of the cylinder bores.
- high pressure HDE 6 injectors increase fuel injection pressure from 200 bar to now 350 bar resulting in improved engine response under high engine load and under 'dynamic engine operation'.
- new material for the crankshaft main bearing shell and different method of crankshaft balancing.
- newly developed cast pistons because the cylinder walls are now electric arc wire sprayed.
- hot film air mass meter is no longer used - the air mass drawn into the N63TU3 engine is not measured directly by a hot film air mass meter and is instead calculated in the Digital Motor Electronics (the legally required monitoring of the crankcase ventilation for leakage in US versions is achieved in the N63TU3 engine via the crankcase pressure sensor. For this reason, the hot film air mass meter could also be deleted in the US version).
- ignition system is adopted from the modular B engines, which is seemingly more robust versus the rod-type ignition system in the TU2.
- Finally, the TU3 comes with a standard electronic Limited Slip Differential.

Hope this helps you make your decision.
i'm just warning a folk who is coming from an M car.

I have the baby M340i and in comparison the M550i is a boat.

no doubt a great car but the biggest difference is when you try to throw it around fast tight bends the bounciness is magnified.

you want to drive it as a luxury car that is as faster than a F80, and not treat it as a M car replacement because it won't be.

Last edited by G30M; 07-05-2023 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 02:32 PM   #8
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Basically need to decide if you want raw power and luxury, or agile and sporty.

I came from an m340i and bought an m550i because I wanted V8 with a larger more luxurious ride. I had a lot of fun in corners with the m340i, but honestly that was mostly younger me being wreckless driving around bends.

Now I have a young one and a wife, so I’d rather the softer ride with the raw power hidden inside. I do miss how nimble the m340i is at times, but that feeling seems to disappear when I’m smiling from the V8 roar and acceleration on freeway.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2023, 03:30 PM   #9
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
by not owning both or driving them back to back at your disposal, i think in a few weeks you can quickly get used to the m550i and be sold at all it has to offer.

obviously, if you don't plan on driving it on the track
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 04:48 PM   #10
silverydragon72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550 2021

I think mine handles well overall with DHP which id say is a requirement. Its definitely a heavy vehicle but alot of fun. Id say get it if you are prioritizing comfort/size over sportiness. Its a good daily driver if you want something comfortable and specifically want a V8 like I did. I won't track it or do anything crazy with it but I definitely push it from time to time on winding backroads. I drive mine a couple of times a week to work which is about an 80 mile roundtrip drive. Can't comment on tuning as I wont touch that as I don't want to affect the warranty and its more than fast enough for me stock.
Appreciate 1
NGT25793.00
      07-05-2023, 05:21 PM   #11
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post

I came from an m340i and bought an m550i because I wanted V8 with a larger more luxurious ride. I had a lot of fun in corners with the m340i, but honestly that was mostly younger me being wreckless driving around bends.

Now I have a young one and a wife, so I’d rather the softer ride with the raw power hidden inside. I do miss how nimble the m340i is at times, but that feeling seems to disappear when I’m smiling from the V8 roar and acceleration on freeway.
It's funny cos when I drive one I miss the other. They are both very stable and very good at what they do. But they are completely opposite personalities.
Appreciate 2
NGT25793.00
      07-05-2023, 06:00 PM   #12
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I have a feeling the only thing one needs to fix the 550 is stiffer springs and that will make it perfect. I did a Google search and everybody says the springs are too soft. But I don't think anybody makes these stiffer springs that keep the ride height as I don't want mine lowered. I'm happy with DHP it's great. I'm the ideal world I'd get stiffer springs but I don't need/want to tinker with ride height.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 09:18 PM   #13
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i'm just warning a folk who is coming from an M car.

I have the baby M340i and in comparison the M550i is a boat.

no doubt a great car but the biggest difference is when you try to throw it around fast tight bends the bounciness is magnified.

you want to drive it as a luxury car that is as faster than a F80, and not treat it as a M car replacement because it won't be.
Fair.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 12:47 AM   #14
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
That's exactly my dilemma... and I want both, kind of a Jekyll and Hyde type of car. Ha ha. But it's obviously not possible. And it could be closer, but the difference between an M550 and M3 is over 400 freaking lbs; that's an insane difference. I started considering the M550, because it could be had with massaging seats (besides all other luxury features, including B&W stereo... but sadly, no Merino full leather). But just found out something, when measuring my garage: It would NOT fit by several inches, due to my BMW sport bike being in front. That confirmed what G21 keeps telling me: The M550 is a boat. Ha ha. My limit is 192", by the way, so an M850i would barely fit (191.2 vs 196 for the M550). In addition, several reviewers have said the rear-wheel steering and variable-ratio steering make the car feel smaller... but also artificial, as well as killing steering feel. You don't need any of trickery on an M3/M4, so they're not only much more capable, but also probably more rewarding to drive, especially in a spirited fashion. And it's the same thing with the Lexus LC500: It has the same RAS & VR steering 'trickery' to make it feel smaller than it's whopping 4,350 lbs (M850 coupe is 4,500; hard to believe), so even heavier than an M550 at 4,300. Heck, even the M4 RWD coupe sounds a little porky at 3,880, but it's 600+ lbs lighter than the M850. Started a thread over the 4 forum, to see if one of those 2 M cars have a 'nice' ride in comfort. Fuel economy would be the same or slightly worse than the V8 GT cars, strangely (at least on paper), and almost as expensive ($91K fully optioned), but they'd be much more fun to drive, and equally quick. Need to drive everything before making any decisions. Oh, and it'd have to be a new car; already decided a used car is just not for me. Ha ha. Plus I'd only save like 10 grand at the most, and losing a year or more warranty, plus all other risks, so not worth it to me. Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-06-2023 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 06:47 AM   #15
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [10.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Depends on your budget in terms of which model year. Nothing wrong with a pre LCI at all. Both engines are proving to be equally as reliable and if you really want to match the HP of the 20+, that is very easily obtainable with little risk. I have an ‘18 tuned and it is a beast. Now, if I were looking now I would go for the LCI only because of the updated lights, but finding an LCI spec’d like my ‘18 is pretty tough. There are options that were eliminated or almost impossible to get with the supply chain shortage. These were must have options for me. IDrive 7 is nice as well as the bigger screen, but not a game changer. I have a new X5 so I get the benefit of both. I actually like IDrive 6 better than 7.
      07-06-2023, 07:46 AM   #16
Scott in Houston
I Breed Spider Monkeys
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Depends on your budget in terms of which model year. Nothing wrong with a pre LCI at all. Both engines are proving to be equally as reliable and if you really want to match the HP of the 20+, that is very easily obtainable with little risk. I have an ‘18 tuned and it is a beast. Now, if I were looking now I would go for the LCI only because of the updated lights, but finding an LCI spec’d like my ‘18 is pretty tough. There are options that were eliminated or almost impossible to get with the supply chain shortage. These were must have options for me. IDrive 7 is nice as well as the bigger screen, but not a game changer. I have a new X5 so I get the benefit of both. I actually like IDrive 6 better than 7.
I recently bought a 2019 because of its spec and mileage. (<20K miles)
My "seat-of-the-pants" meter couldn't tell any real difference between the 2019 and 2020+. I see timed tests with .1 to .2 second diff to 60... I'll never notice or need that! lol. I have a Lotus for the track and it's the antithesis of my M550 weighing only 1950 lbs and 16" off the ground for center of gravity. lol
      07-06-2023, 08:12 AM   #17
Kimd41
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M5

Thanks everyone for the responses, I’ve read them all!

My friend owns a F10 535i so I kind of know how much of a boat these cars are haha. I will probably try to test one to see if I like it!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 09:41 AM   #18
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
And this is a large part of why I targeted 2020 as the year I wanted. I also am in the minority that gives a slight nod to the styling on the pre-LCI (not a knock on the other, just a 1A/1B thing for me). But the 2020 gave me a few idrive updates, updated instrument panel, and updated engine while having all the pre LCI/pre Covid options. The soft close doors are one option that makes me chuckle because I love them and use them all the time and didn’t think I’d really care about having them or not.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
adhrp1342.00
      07-06-2023, 09:45 AM   #19
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
The soft close doors are one option that makes me chuckle because I love them and use them all the time and didn’t think I’d really care about having them or not.
Ha! I forget I have those and I push the door hard(ish) to shut it per old habit. Sometimes I don't push hard enough and I am about to turn back to shut it properly when the car gently pulls it in for me...love it!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 09:51 AM   #20
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Ha! I forget I have those and I push the door hard(ish) to shut it per old habit. Sometimes I don't push hard enough and I am about to turn back to shut it properly when the car gently pulls it in for me...love it!
I’m not saying I never shut it hard, but I’ve gotten more and more conditioned to shut it soft. My kid loves it (he’s 6). I’ve got him where he’s really proud of himself if he opens and closes the car door the “right way”. Which means soft close and only touching the handle, not grubby paw prints on the paint. He still needs to grow a little to open it with ease.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #21
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [10.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
And this is a large part of why I targeted 2020 as the year I wanted. I also am in the minority that gives a slight nod to the styling on the pre-LCI (not a knock on the other, just a 1A/1B thing for me). But the 2020 gave me a few idrive updates, updated instrument panel, and updated engine while having all the pre LCI/pre Covid options. The soft close doors are one option that makes me chuckle because I love them and use them all the time and didn’t think I’d really care about having them or not.
Of course! At the end of the day, this is all subjective and personal. I do like the pre-LCI headlights better than LCI, but I really like the tails as you know. It's all a matter of what you like (unless we are talking tri colored grill stripes, hahaha).
NGT25793.00
      07-06-2023, 10:26 AM   #22
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Of course! At the end of the day, this is all subjective and personal. I do like the pre-LCI headlights better than LCI, but I really like the tails as you know. It's all a matter of what you like (unless we are talking tri colored grill stripes, hahaha).
My wife saw an X7 with grill stripes the other day and asked me about it. She got a big kick out of it when I educated her on the topic and told her it’s quite the hot topic on here.

Appreciate 0