07-06-2023, 05:05 AM   #1
Smokeball
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 40i, 2023 BMW 540

Garage List
Help with Cruise Control 2023 X7 40i

1st Post Ever, so be kind.

I was told by my dealership that my 2023 X7 40i with Active Driving Assistant Pro, Cruise Control could be set to automatically change speed to match posted speed limits as detected by the vehicle. My SUV is detecting and showing posted speed limits as I drive. I need help on how to set the CC to do this. The dealship's BMW Genius told me my SUV was the first vehicle he had been in with the Softwear 8 System so he was not very helpful.

I would really appreciate help with this.

And HELLO to everyone!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 06:39 AM   #2
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeball View Post
1st Post Ever, so be kind.

I was told by my dealership that my 2023 X7 40i with Active Driving Assistant Pro, Cruise Control could be set to automatically change speed to match posted speed limits as detected by the vehicle. My SUV is detecting and showing posted speed limits as I drive. I need help on how to set the CC to do this. The dealship's BMW Genius told me my SUV was the first vehicle he had been in with the Softwear 8 System so he was not very helpful.

I would really appreciate help with this topic.

And HELLO to everyone!
Unfortunately, it will not change speed automatically. You have to manually press the set button on the steering wheel to adopt each new speed which makes no sense to me. That can result in a hazardous situation or a speeding ticket. I have posted a few times on this and my latest is:
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2031363

Last edited by rjabend; 07-06-2023 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 07:10 AM   #3
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Unfortunately, it will not change speed automatically. You have to manually press the set button on the steering wheel to adopt each new speed which makes no sense to me. That can result in a hazardous situation or a speeding ticket. I have posted a few times on this and my latest is:
How would it be hazardous? Nothing should ever be hazardous since you're ultimately responsible for driving the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 07:49 AM   #4
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
How would it be hazardous? Nothing should ever be hazardous since you're ultimately responsible for driving the vehicle.
1. Why do they call it Driver Assistance?

2. Why do other manufacturers in the US "adjust automatically"?

3. Why does BMW "Adjust automatically" elsewhere?

4. Have you ever missed a speed limit sign?

5. Have you ever inadvertently done something hazardous while driving?

If you answer those questions, you will answer your question.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:24 AM   #5
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Some this driver assistance stuff is hazardous and is even more so when it can't be disabled. My MB G550 is equipped with lane keeping assist that violently brakes and steers you back into your lane. 20 minutes after driving away from the dealer (who said nothing about the "feature"), I crossed a lane marker to avoid a couple of cyclists. Lane Keeping kicked in, and I nearly took out the 2 guys. I went back to the dealer and said I wanted this feature disabled, and they refused to do so. It's possible to disable it manually, but not permanently. I became so annoyed with it, I yanked the control module and hacked it so now it's permanently off. Fortunately my X7 allows permanent disabling. I want to be be "ultimately responsible for driving the vehicle", but these mandatory "safety features" interfere with my desire to be responsible.
Appreciate 1
blutob2284.50
      07-06-2023, 08:25 AM   #6
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. Why do they call it Driver Assistance?

2. Why do other manufacturers in the US "adjust automatically"?

3. Why does BMW "Adjust automatically" elsewhere?

4. Have you ever missed a speed limit sign?

5. Have you ever inadvertently done something hazardous while driving?

If you answer those questions, you will answer your question.
1. It's assistance, not full autonomy. These systems are not perfect...see #4.
2. No idea, no other cars that I own does it either. Just because one does it doesn't mean it's an approved standard for every manufacturer.
3. Once again, just because one feature is auto doesn't mean every other feature should be too.
4. It literally shows the speed limit in the HUD, map if you want, and instrument panel. 25% of the time it's wrong because it's not a perfect system. Mine often shows the Weight Limit signs. One highway, it's a 20 Ton sign but Speed Limit is 65 and the X7 will literally flash a 20 MPH symbol at me. Another road is a 65 Ton sign, but Speed limit is only 60. So, in these cases, what would the X7 do? Auto adjust? Wouldn't I STILL need to monitor and intervene??? ABSOLUTELY!
5. Irrelevant but I've been driving for 30+ years and have lived and moved across the country several times and have driven millions of miles (including international) and have never been in an accident. Sure, I've made countless mistakes driving but not sure if the current assistance features would have mattered or not.

Now my question for you, how would you expect the system to handle exits, on ramps, curves, etc, with yellow "recommended" speed limit signs. Yellow signs are not lawful speed limits but generally if you exceed them, then it can be hazardous. I have not seen my X7 display those yellow signs as of yet. Now, I do know there is a current setting that will actually auto adjust based on "dangerous" curves, etc and I used it once and immediately turned it off when the X7 started aggressively slowing down automatically and I thought I was going to get rear ended.

How many Teslas have crashed because people are overconfident in these systems?

BTW, I'm a major airline pilot and operate complex systems including autoland when you can barely see the ground at 50 feet. I watch the autopilot like a f'ing hawk. Sh!t goes wrong often and you're ultimately responsible. Just adding for context. Our infrastructure is just not ready yet.

Last edited by blutob2; 07-06-2023 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2023, 08:30 AM   #7
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Some this driver assistance stuff is hazardous and is even more so when it can't be disabled. My MB G550 is equipped with lane keeping assist that violently brakes and steers you back into your lane. 20 minutes after driving away from the dealer (who said nothing about the "feature"), I crossed a lane marker to avoid a couple of cyclists. Lane Keeping kicked in, and I nearly took out the 2 guys. I went back to the dealer and said I wanted this feature disabled, and they refused to do so. It's possible to disable it manually, but not permanently. I became so annoyed with it, I yanked the control module and hacked it so now it's permanently off. Fortunately my X7 allows permanent disabling. I want to be be "ultimately responsible for driving the vehicle", but these mandatory "safety features" interfere with my desire to be responsible.
ABSOLUTELY! I haven't been in the cyclist situation yet but have swerved to miss pot holes and it aggressively corrected me back and I felt like I was really fighting it. I then lowered my setting to the MINOR correction level which has helped.

But I do like the assistance overall and it has improved over the years. Heck we just drove a 2000 mile road trip with very long and straight highways and it was great to have, but yeah never want to get too comfortable with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
BTW, I'm a major airline pilot and operate complex systems including autoland when you can barely see the ground at 50 feet. I watch the autopilot like a f'ing hawk. Sh!t goes wrong often and you're ultimately responsible. Just adding for context. Our infrastructure is just not ready yet.
That first time the G's lane keeping kicked in, it scared the crap out of me. I described the experience to a friend as how the 737MAX pilots must have reacted when MCAS took over. I lack adequate bladder control to do your job (lol).
Appreciate 1
blutob2284.50
      07-06-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
1. It's assistance, not full autonomy. These systems are not perfect...see #4.
2. No idea, no other cars that I own does it either. Just because one does it doesn't mean it's an approved standard for every manufacturer.
3. Once again, just because one feature is auto doesn't mean every other feature should be too.
4. It literally shows the speed limit in the HUD, map if you want, and instrument panel. 25% of the time it's wrong because it's not a perfect system. Mine often shows the Weight Limit signs. One highway, it's a 20 Ton sign but Speed Limit is 65 and the X7 will literally flash a 20 MPH symbol at me. Another road is a 65 Ton sign, but Speed limit is only 60. So, in these cases, what would the X7 do? Auto adjust? Wouldn't I STILL need to monitor and intervene??? ABSOLUTELY!
5. Irrelevant but I've been driving for 30+ years and have lived and moved across the country several times and have driven millions of miles (including international) and have never been in an accident. Sure, I've made countless mistakes driving but not sure if the current assistance features would have mattered or not.

Now my question for you, how would you expect the system to handle exits, on ramps, curves, etc, with yellow "recommended" speed limit signs. Yellow signs are not lawful speed limits but generally if you exceed them, then it can be hazardous. I have not seen my X7 display those yellow signs as of yet. Now, I do know there is a current setting that will actually auto adjust based on "dangerous" curves, etc and I used it once and immediately turned it off when the X7 started aggressively slowing down automatically and I thought I was going to get rear ended.

How many Teslas have crashed because people are overconfident in these systems?

Thanks for your reply.
By coincidence, I am also an Instrument Rated pilot, and I am glad to hear you keep a close eye on the Autoland process.

Back on topic: Auto speed limit adoption is common on US vehicles such as Mazda, Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, Range Rover, and many others.
Please note that BMWs with automated speed adoption retain the option to adjust manually so drivers like yourself can select manual operation.
I am in no way suggesting that drivers should not keep a close eye on driver assistance systems. In fact, some driver errors can be avoided by having driver assistance systems and drivers can minimize driver assistance errors by being attentive. In general, Driver Assistance + Attentive driving = greater overall safety than either sole factor.
I believe I have addressed relevant content in your reply, but please let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited by rjabend; 07-06-2023 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:15 PM   #10
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
By coincidence, I am also an Instrument Rated pilot, and I am glad to hear you keep a close eye on the Autoland process.

Back on topic: Auto speed limit adoption is common on US vehicles such as Mazda, Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, Range Rover, and many others.
Please note that BMWs with automated speed adoption retain the option to adjust manually so drivers like yourself can select manual operation.
I am in no way suggesting that drivers should not keep a close eye on driver assistance systems. In fact, some driver errors can be avoided by having driver assistance systems and drivers can minimize driver assistance errors by being attentive. In general, Driver Assistance + Attentive driving = greater overall safety than either sole factor.
I believe I have addressed relevant content in your reply, but please let me know if I missed anything.

My house is surrounded by schools. I have to cross 3 elementary school and one high school or 2 elementary school, one middle school and one high school for my daily work. So in this route I hated auto speed limit because the speeds are time based. Car would detect the speed limit incorrectly and adjust the speed. Once while driving I was almost rear-ended because car decided to drive 20MPH in 50MPH (it was not school time) all of a sudden. I have since disabled it.

there can be application of auto speed limit, Until there is a fool proof system, its dangerous to rely on them.
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 1
blutob2284.50
      07-07-2023, 05:53 AM   #11
Smokeball
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 40i, 2023 BMW 540

Garage List
I really appreciate all of your replies.

Nice to know my X7 just doesn't do what I was told. I have learned from your responses that I am not really missing very much. I just had to find out why I couldn't get the feature to work.

My BMWs really ride beautifully but discovering this forum with members like yourselves is right up there with the "ride". Not blowing smoke, either.

Smokeball
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 06:16 AM   #12
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nice to know my X7 just doesn't do what I was told. I have learned from your responses that I am not really missing very much. I just had to find out why I couldn't get the feature to work.

My BMWs really ride beautifully but discovering this forum with members like yourselves is right up there with the "ride". Not blowing smoke, either.

Smokeball
Sucks they claimed it did or maybe was confused with the actual SET feature. I'm just more irritated that BMW's speedometer is so far off. I just don't understand why in today's world, we can't have a perfect speedometer. Only cars I've driven that are that far off are Euro it seems. So on a highway speed limit of 70, if I set 70 or if it did have the feature where it auto set it, then heck I would only be doing 66-67. So now, I have to manually bump up the cruise several mph anyways. Now, I understand they used to have the speed offset in the settings but that was removed several software updates ago. But once again, that shouldn't even be required.

But yeah until the camera is near perfect in truly detecting actual speed limti signs then auto set wouldn't be that useful in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 06:46 AM   #13
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:

Smokeball
You may also want to take a look at my overall 2024 X7 assessment:

Also, my speed setting is exactly correct and I have the speed offset option up to ≈ + or -10 mph. As I mentioned in my assessment link above, Highway Assistant is amazing!!

Last edited by rjabend; 07-07-2023 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 07:15 AM   #14
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You may also want to take a look at my overall 2024 X7 assessment:

Also, my speed setting is exactly correct and I have the speed offset option up to ≈ + or -10 mph. As I mentioned in my assessment link above, Highway Assistant is amazing!!
Good to hear that the speedometer is finally accurate. That's been a very common complaint for several years. But for iDrive 7, the speed offset option was removed.

Also good to hear the highway assistance has been improved. It's nice to have for the 2022 but still nowhere near perfect. Biggest challenge in this country is lack of infrastructure standards across multiple states. I've driven the X7 in at least 10 states thus far and it acts differently. Now, I do see the highways getting better especially the exits with now the dashed white lines continuing on the highway which prevents the X7 from wanting to exit. But not every state is repainting their highways to match quite yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 07:57 AM   #15
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Good to hear that the speedometer is finally accurate. That's been a very common complaint for several years. But for iDrive 7, the speed offset option was removed.

Also good to hear the highway assistance has been improved. It's nice to have for the 2022 but still nowhere near perfect. Biggest challenge in this country is lack of infrastructure standards across multiple states. I've driven the X7 in at least 10 states thus far and it acts differently. Now, I do see the highways getting better especially the exits with now the dashed white lines continuing on the highway which prevents the X7 from wanting to exit. But not every state is repainting their highways to match quite yet.
I used a highly-rated phone GPS app and when the X7 read 60 mph, it read 59 mph with the same delta of 1 mph at other speeds. I am not sure how BMW measures speed, but tire size might be a factor.

I also believe the variety of road marking features puts a serious strain on driver assistance efficacy. Road marking maintenance is also a problem on some roads in FL.

Highway Assistant is a new hands-free feature on the 2024s.
Appreciate 1
blutob2284.50