BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

07-11-2023, 12:07 PM   #1
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

iDrive 8 NAV and RTTI questions

I have a couple of questions about NAV and RTTI on iDrive 8

NAV. Every time I go out in the car the NAV system starts suggesting where I might be going. Does anybody know how to turn that off because it is always wrong and very annoying.

RTTI. If a route is active in the Nav system then the RTTI widget on the home screen has a graphical representation of the route. This is a vertical line which changes from white to grey from the bottom up as the journey progresses. Sometimes text like "- 2mins" appears next to the white bit of the line which I take to be a traffic delay? Does it only show the next one? Do these delays only relate to the current route? Are they supposed to be colour coded because as far as I can remember they seem to be always grey? Sometimes when the text is there and you click on the widget and open it up the delay shown is not on the route at all.

Please could someone walk me through both the display on the RTTI widget and how it decides what delay event to show when you click on it because as far as I can see it follows no obvious logic. When a route is active in the Nav system, I want delay info on that route not some random nearby street.

Thanks
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 09:14 AM   #2
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

I think I've more or less sussed it out on my own if anybody is interested.

Nav.

The predicted destination thing goes away if you turn off navigation learning.

Traffic Info Widget.

When guidance is active the widget shows the route as a vertical line. White for the remaining portion of the journey and grey for the completed part.

If there are any traffic delays on the route then the length of the first one is shown as a text annotation to the right of the vertical line (eg -3 mins). If there is more than one delay the second and subsequent ones are shown as barely visible splodges at the appropriate place on the white line but there is no text showing the delay time. I think the splodges may be tiny car icons but they are so small it's hard to tell.

When you click on the widget you get the first delay shown, pressing Next/Previous does what it says on the tin. When you've been through all the delays on the active route you then get the nearest delay to the car's location which is not on the active route, Next then gives the next nearest not on the route etc.

If guidance is not active the traffic information widget shows a text summary of the traffic situation in the vehicle's current location. Clicking on it displays the nearest traffic delay item to the vehicle.

Traffic Delays on the Map.

If guidance is active the map shows the traffic delays on the route as "speech bubble" type icons pointing at the location of the delay. Each bubble has text on it giving the length of that delay. Thus if you zoom the map out or select Route Overview you can see all the bubble icons and hence the location and length of all the delays on the route.

If you touch one of the bubbles on the screen then the traffic delay screen item for that delay opens. I couldn't find a way of selecting the bubbles with the idrive controller though so if you don't want to touch the screen you have to go through the delays one at a time from the first one via the traffic info screen. At least that's far easier than it used to be because all the current route delays now come first.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 3
Squidget3535.00
cmgbk752634.50
zlatko134.00