F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Wheel Hop Cure - diff mounts or subframe?
GetBMWParts

07-19-2023, 02:02 PM   #1
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Wheel Hop Cure - diff mounts or subframe?

2017 M240i 6-speed, posting here to get more attention. I suffer from axle hop in the rain and on launches with excessive wheelspin. It's an easy enough issue to avoid, but I want to be able to confidently launch on prepped strips (slipping the clutch ~3000, not full-on axle snappers) without worrying about my diff falling apart.

With some research, I found two possible solutions: subframe mounts, differential mounts, or both. I'd like to save a little money and time by avoiding subframe mounts, but it's a solution I'd consider in the future. If I want a quick and dirty solution to run for a few months, would polyurethane diff mounts get the job done, or do I need to do both to cure wheel hop? And how effective are subframe inserts, as an alternative to dropping the subframe all the way out?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:16 PM   #2
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

You may want to look into upgraded rear lower traction rods. My friends who drag their Fxx said it eliminates wheel-hop specifically…

They’ve also upgraded their diff and subframe bushings, but those components are more related to a) keeping the diff in alignment and b) eliminating suspension play. Of course if your OE bushings are aged, they might’ve shrunk some, so replacing them might be merited anyway…

For my own car, they told me the simple subframe inserts would work well, if I didn’t want to drop the subframe for a full bushings replacement. (I already use similar inserts in my 2002’s subframe bushings and they made a noticeable improvement there).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:24 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

In my experience you need to upgrade both - diff bushes and subframe bushes.

I opted for Whiteline products (poly) and wheel hop has been all but eliminated. Also, no noticeable increase in NVH.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0