BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2023, 09:52 PM   #1
kapsjt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Sport mode button vs gear selctor S mode

I apologize as I am sure this has been covered in the forum, but I cannot find the exact posts. What is the difference between putting the gear selection into "S" mode vs putting the car into sport mode with the sport button?

I have a 50e and the only difference I can tell is using the gear selector into S does not change the ambient lighting color and doesn't lower the air suspension. I assume it is similar for all models notwithstanding the suspension.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2023, 05:38 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapsjt View Post
I apologize as I am sure this has been covered in the forum, but I cannot find the exact posts. What is the difference between putting the gear selection into "S" mode vs putting the car into sport mode with the sport button?

I have a 50e and the only difference I can tell is using the gear selector into S does not change the ambient lighting color and doesn't lower the air suspension. I assume it is similar for all models notwithstanding the suspension.
I'm not sure if the PHEVs are different, but on ICE variants:

- shifter in S holds the gears for longer (changes up later)
- Sport/Sport+ decreases gear shift speed, holds gears for longer & increases throttle sensitivity

There may be an element of crossover, but one does not replace the other. Putting the shifter in S when I'm in Sport+ still results in holding the gears for even longer than when I'm in Sport+ without the shifter in S.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 06:02 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
on the 45e, shifting the gear lever to the left is the Sport M/S program unlike the Sport button which puts the vehicle in Sport drive mode. check your manual. it’s probably the same
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The gear shift lever sport programming changes the drivetrain only...which is the engine and transmission mapping. And if so optioned...you can also engage the manual shifting feature.

The driving experience switch/button (sport/comfort/eco pro/etc) changes the mapping for the drivetrain (engine & transmission) as well as the chassis (steering and suspension damping). If you don't have an adaptive suspension...then its basically steering adaptation that gets affected using the SPORT button.

The gear shift sport program allows you to quickly utilize the increased engine revs if you need a brief moment of more aggressive driving, like quick pull off, or entering an on ramp, etc...and you can quickly go back to normal driving (or engage the manual shift program) without having to look down for the sport mode switch to make sure that you are making a proper selection.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska161.50
      07-26-2023, 06:40 PM   #5
RichardE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, x1, Bentley

Quote:
Quick question: Is there an option to change the ambient lighting colour when you go into sport mode in the 45e? I've looked under 'Interior Lighting' in settings and can't see anything there.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 07:27 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Quick question: Is there an option to change the ambient lighting colour when you go into sport mode in the 45e? I've looked under 'Interior Lighting' in settings and can't see anything there.
i've never heard of such a setting
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 07:33 PM   #7
IAmSpeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
Anyone try the sprint mode
2004 Toyota Vios | 2004 BMW X3 | 2007 Chrysler Town and Country | 2007 Ford Escape | 2008 Honda CRV | 2017 Nissan Versa Note | 2017 Toyota RAV4 | 2017 Toyota Yaris iA | 2019 Porsche 911 | 2023 BMW X4 M40i
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 06:41 AM   #8
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What does it currently do in sport mode? And what year is your car?

I know that with the LCI models with ID8, sport mode has a fixed ambient light colour of red/blue.

But I was under the impression that all ID7 cars didn't have this restriction. All pre-LCI ID7 X5s and X6s I've driven allow any ambient light setting in any drive mode, but I've never driven a 45e, and I've never driven any 2023 model.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #9
RichardE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, x1, Bentley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
What does it currently do in sport mode? And what year is your car?
Car is a 2023 X5 45e (built 03/2023). When I go to sports mode the instrument cluster and control screen have a red theme. My ambient lights remain blue, being the colour set in the interior light settings. I could manually set the colour to red every time I go to sport mode, but...
It sounds like in ID8 that the ambient light strips turn red as well when going into sport mode. It's no big deal, just thought there was a setting or code I was missing which would allow this to happen in ID7.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 08:06 PM   #10
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Car is a 2023 X5 45e (built 03/2023). When I go to sports mode the instrument cluster and control screen have a red theme. My ambient lights remain blue, being the colour set in the interior light settings. I could manually set the colour to red every time I go to sport mode, but...
It sounds like in ID8 that the ambient light strips turn red as well when going into sport mode. It's no big deal, just thought there was a setting or code I was missing which would allow this to happen in ID7.
Ok, thats the behaviour I'm used to with ID7.

So no, there is no way to set ambient lighting to change to a specific colour automatically when you enter sport mode.

Having said that, the way I have been told its implemented in ID8 sounds bad IMO - when in sport mode the ambient lighting changes to a red-blue combination, and you cannot have it any other colour. For me personally, this is terrible because I only drive in sport mode. It would render all other ambient colours useless to me.

At least the ID7 method allows choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 09:31 AM   #11
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:

The sport gear selection can be applied to any of the drive modes including sport.

When applied to any driving mode, the gear shift points change (more aggressive) and manual (paddle shifting) is also possible.

When applied to the sport driving mode, it makes the shifts points even more aggressive than sport driving mode without gear selection in sport setting.

You can easily test this out, by choosing a flat section of road and observe the engine speed at a constant velocity.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1119.50
      07-28-2023, 03:12 PM   #12
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, thats the behaviour I'm used to with ID7.

So no, there is no way to set ambient lighting to change to a specific colour automatically when you enter sport mode.

Having said that, the way I have been told its implemented in ID8 sounds bad IMO - when in sport mode the ambient lighting changes to a red-blue combination, and you cannot have it any other colour. For me personally, this is terrible because I only drive in sport mode. It would render all other ambient colours useless to me.

At least the ID7 method allows choice.
I was given a 2024 X7 as a loaner today whilst my 45e is getting an oil change, tires balanced, and an alignment. I don't know if my loaner has ID8 or ID8.5, but there is a setting in iDrive to turn off the lighting to match the drive mode. It was previously on, but I turned it off, switched to Sport, and the ambient lighting stayed the color I selected.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1119.50
      07-28-2023, 10:19 PM   #13
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
I don't know if my loaner has ID8 or ID8.5,
If it has a bunch of menu items in the bottom row of the screen in addition to A/C item it is 8.5, otherwise 8

I guess it is likely to be 8. Most car has not been upgraded to 8.5 yet
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 07:27 AM   #14
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
I was given a 2024 X7 as a loaner today whilst my 45e is getting an oil change, tires balanced, and an alignment. I don't know if my loaner has ID8 or ID8.5, but there is a setting in iDrive to turn off the lighting to match the drive mode. It was previously on, but I turned it off, switched to Sport, and the ambient lighting stayed the color I selected.
Wow! Thank you for clarifying this!

LCI is back on the shopping list for me then. I couldn't consider one if this option wasn't present.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 10:19 AM   #15
visegrip72
Rep
Drives: 2023 x5 45e

Another thing the sport mode button does on my '23 45e is lowers the car a notch. Passengers notice that when I switch and hold on!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #16
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
If it has a bunch of menu items in the bottom row of the screen in addition to A/C item it is 8.5, otherwise 8

I guess it is likely to be 8. Most car has not been upgraded to 8.5 yet
It was iD8 then, there was just the a/c items at the bottom of the screen.

Quote:
Wow! Thank you for clarifying this!

LCI is back on the shopping list for me then. I couldn't consider one if this option wasn't present.
Yea, I completely forgot someone mentioned the ambient lighting being tied to the drive mode. When I was going through the options I saw the setting, unchecked it, and it reverted back to the green I selected and I was still in Sport mode.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1119.50