BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

07-31-2023, 09:33 PM   #1
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

Faraday Pouch

Any thoughts on subject item to protect the passive signal from the fobs?

https://www.amazon.ca/Faraday-GICENT...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

2023 G87 ///M2 (production began Jul 4th 2023)
2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
Aramis1919
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i X-Drive

I have one.

Seems to work well enough. If the keys are in the pouch I can't open the drivers door.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 03:32 PM   #3
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Seems to be redundant with new keys as they switch off when untouched.
Appreciate 2
cmgbk752634.50
      08-01-2023, 07:59 PM   #4
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Seems to be redundant with new keys as they switch off when untouched.
Unlikely? Yes. Impossible to hack? No.

From this site:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...ut-bmw-key-fob

"CAN MY BMW KEY BE HACKED?
As it's responsible for protecting your vehicle, your BMW's remote key fob was designed with security in mind. A sophisticated system means that your vehicle will only unlock when receiving a unique identifying signal from your fob, and the expected signal constantly changes. This makes it all but impossible for a third-party to hack your vehicle or clone your key.

In fact, most criminals won't even try to hack your key or break the security system. The more common threat is a third-party getting within range of your key fob, for example by sitting at the next table. In this case, it's possible to use a signal amplifier to broadcast the identifying signal from your key to an accomplice at your vehicle, who can then use the signal to access your BMW.

In these situations, some people prefer to keep their fob in signal-blocking pouch, which means a key fob power amplifier will not be able to detect your fob. The standard BMW key case does not include this feature, and is made only to protect your fob from scratches.

However, if you lose a key and worry that it will fall into wrong hands you can use the service of a key fob deactivation, which will block the key fob in the memory of the car to make it useless. Key fob deactivation can be done either by the dealer or our technicians."

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:39 AM   #5
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Ah so you’re considering getting one to walk around with, not just to keep at home?
I guess that will make it more secure, but then you lose the practicality of keeping the fob in your pocket and using comfort access. You’ll always need to remove it from the pouch when getting close/in the car… not sure the loss of convenience is warranted in this case.

The biggest threat is people who get close to your door at home and amplify the signal from the fob to start your car and go. It seems that doesn’t happen with these new fobs.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 06:26 AM   #6
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ah so you’re considering getting one to walk around with, not just to keep at home?
I guess that will make it more secure, but then you lose the practicality of keeping the fob in your pocket and using comfort access. You’ll always need to remove it from the pouch when getting close/in the car… not sure the loss of convenience is warranted in this case.

The biggest threat is people who get close to your door at home and amplify the signal from the fob to start your car and go. It seems that doesn’t happen with these new fobs.
Yes exactly. I thought the same. I posted this to discuss it. Honestly, I wish comfort access was optional. I don't mind putting the fob in the dashboard but alas ( I didn't take in on my E90). I also don't mind taking my credit card out to pay vs having my biometrics stored in the system to scan for payment. I personally think the push to increase "convenience" has gone beyond the threshold where privacy becomes a concern.

With the economy in its current heading and crime being on the rise, I just wanted to bring us together to consider all angles. I am on the fence on getting a Faraday pouch. They seem cheap but I am simply not convinced it is warranted for my lifestyle but wanted other points of view on this.

Appreciate 1
M2siast5947.50
      08-02-2023, 06:54 AM   #7
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator_IIII View Post
Yes exactly. I thought the same. I posted this to discuss it. Honestly, I wish comfort access was optional. I don't mind putting the fob in the dashboard but alas ( I didn't take in on my E90). I also don't mind taking my credit card out to pay vs having my biometrics stored in the system to scan for payment. I personally think the push to increase "convenience" has gone beyond the threshold where privacy becomes a concern.

With the economy in its current heading and crime being on the rise, I just wanted to bring us together to consider all angles. I am on the fence on getting a Faraday pouch. They seem cheap but I am simply not convinced it is warranted for my lifestyle but wanted other points of view on this.
All fair points.

When considering “lifestyle”, we need to also remember we live in Canada. For example, the “door lock when car moves” is a feature the ROW and some of our friends in the US appreciate, because robbers gain access to your car while you’re sitting at a red light, and you’re either kidnapped or robbed at gunpoint. So having the doors locked is a safety/security feature.
It isn’t a thing for us. I believe the same for fob scalpers while on the go. It’s certainly not unheard of while the fob is home and your car is in the driveway (not where I live, but it happens in Toronto, for example), since people will go silently during the night and try that. For that use case apparently the faraday cage/pouch seems not to be needed with the new fob, which is good news.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 11:53 AM   #8
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
All fair points.

When considering “lifestyle”, we need to also remember we live in Canada. For example, the “door lock when car moves” is a feature the ROW and some of our friends in the US appreciate, because robbers gain access to your car while you’re sitting at a red light, and you’re either kidnapped or robbed at gunpoint. So having the doors locked is a safety/security feature.
It isn’t a thing for us. I believe the same for fob scalpers while on the go. It’s certainly not unheard of while the fob is home and your car is in the driveway (not where I live, but it happens in Toronto, for example), since people will go silently during the night and try that. For that use case apparently the faraday cage/pouch seems not to be needed with the new fob, which is good news.
I wonder how often cars are stolen in this manner. Has this happened to anyone here? I live in NYC and have lived in several large cities and don’t know of anyone losing a car like this. Carjackings yes, this no. The price of the Faraday bags and boxes is extremely low so it seems like a small measure to protect yourself, I just think I’d forget to store it or get tired of carrying that tacky little bag around and having to remove the key, thereby losing the benefit of keyless entry.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 11:59 AM   #9
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgbk75 View Post
I wonder how often cars are stolen in this manner. Has this happened to anyone here? I live in NYC and have lived in several large cities and don’t know of anyone losing a car like this. Carjackings yes, this no. The price of the Faraday bags and boxes is extremely low so it seems like a small measure to protect yourself, I just think I’d forget to store it or get tired of carrying that tacky little bag around and having to remove the key, thereby losing the benefit of keyless entry.
Check out the 2 minute video:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/more-than...2023-1.6285298
Appreciate 2
cmgbk752634.50
      08-02-2023, 12:08 PM   #10
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Good thing we have undesirable 2 door coupes. I’ll never get another SUV and here’s just another reason.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5947.50
      08-09-2023, 01:44 AM   #11
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator_IIII View Post

My gripe with CA is that it used to be a stand alone option but is now packaged up with other features. If you want the other features but not CA then you're stuck.

I made two suggestions to BMW about CA. Firstly, it should be able to be deactivated in iDrive so those that don't want it can switch it off. Secondly, all cars, whether they have CA fitted or not should have the same door handles. The different door handles fitted to CA cars is an open invitation for someone to target them for a relay theft. If a CA fitted car could not be distinguished in this way it would make life so much more difficult for potential thieves. Needless to say BMW has taken no notice of either suggestion.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1