BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #1
sarpal123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 50e

Potential buyback

I was fortunate to have one of the very first 50e's off the line (April '23) almost from the beginning I've experienced a "Driver Assistance Restricted" error (the camera in the dash). I've also had the SOS failed error, the "Parking Assistance Restricted" and another error that I didn't capture as I was driving at the time (!).

The car has been back to the dealer more than half a dozen times, in fact they've had it longer than me and I've spent more miles driving to and from them than I have enjoying the car.

The last conversation was with the head of the service department where he mentioned buyback - my questions (amongst many) are - what is buyback, should I consider it, is all this really a big problem (the car was £91k+) where do I go from here?

Any help and thoughts gratefully received...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 02:41 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

The rules may be a little different in Wales but what they will do is take the vehicle back and give you your money back minus a charge for mileage. If you are consistently having issues you may want to consider it if you don't feel comfortable keeping it.
      08-17-2023, 02:58 PM   #3
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I've done 2 buybacks and both went well. Got a brand new car both times for less than $1000. I'd highly recommend it if you only have to pay for the miles driven.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 03:14 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpal123 View Post

The last conversation was with the head of the service department where he mentioned buyback - my questions (amongst many) are - what is buyback, should I consider it, is all this really a big problem (the car was £91k+) where do I go from here?

Buybacks are usually a positive experience for the owner, you get to either get a new one or just take the money and run. Get their offer in writing and read it. Be sure to take into account any loan interest you may have been paying because at the end of the day, you were inconvenienced and should not be paying a penalty for it.

Last edited by Marty in NY; 08-17-2023 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 03:21 PM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
I was fortunate to have one of the very first 50e's off the line (April '23) almost from the beginning I've experienced a "Driver Assistance Restricted" error (the camera in the dash). I've also had the SOS failed error, the "Parking Assistance Restricted" and another error that I didn't capture as I was driving at the time (!).

The car has been back to the dealer more than half a dozen times, in fact they've had it longer than me and I've spent more miles driving to and from them than I have enjoying the car.

My experience so far:

I have an M850, and have been experiencing random collision
avoidance alerts with the car suddenly swerving left when that happens. It's always alerting from the right side and this has been happening since I bought the car new a year ago. At first I thought it was maybe just a random glitch, but recently started happening more frequently (almost once a day) since March. I'm looking at a 3rd service visit now after the last visit saw the car in the shop almost 3 weeks.

The dealership has verified the problem exists and replaced the rear right radar sensor behind the rear bumper. They also (sneakily) turned off the alerting in the IDrive settings which I caught and turned back on. Now they need to verify the issue AGAIN so I'll be without my car again for who knows how long. They want to replace the right front radar sensor next.

If I was you, take the buyback and move on. There's been other BMW customers who have had intermittent sensor issues causing all kinds of grief and my concern is that there's possibly wiring or connector issues which would be extremely difficult to track down and repair.

Sudden left swerve at 11 seconds causing me to slightly loose control and overcorrecting to the right. It literally jerks the steering wheel out of my hand as I'm driving with cruise control on.

Rob
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #6
sarpal123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
My experience so far:

avoidance alerts with the car suddenly swerving left when that happens. It's always alerting from the right side and this has been happening since I bought the car new a year ago. At first I thought it was maybe just a random glitch, but recently started happening more frequently (almost once a day) since March. I'm looking at a 3rd service visit now after the last visit saw the car in the shop almost 3 weeks.

The dealership has verified the problem exists and replaced the rear right radar sensor behind the rear bumper. They also (sneakily) turned off the alerting in the IDrive settings which I caught and turned back on. Now they need to verify the issue AGAIN so I'll be without my car again for who knows how long. They want to replace the right front radar sensor next.

If I was you, take the buyback and move on. There's been other BMW customers who have had intermittent sensor issues causing all kinds of grief and my concern is that there's possibly wiring or connector issues which would be extremely difficult to track down and repair.

Rob
Many thanks for the comprehensive info!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #7
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Take the buyback for sure as others have suggested here.
Keep the next vehicle a little more basic meaning less of the whiz bang, self driving, self parking junk, etc.
I would also suggest staying with a pure ICE vehicle, M60i or X5M as it seems the PHEVs are experiencing more than their share of problems. Google that one if you have any doubts.
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2023, 07:51 PM   #8
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

If you’re uncomfortable with anything and the dealer voluntarily offers a buyback, you should definitely take the buyback offer.
      08-17-2023, 08:26 PM   #9
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
My experience so far:

Sudden left swerve at 11 seconds causing me to slightly loose control and overcorrecting to the right. It literally jerks the steering wheel out of my hand as I'm driving with cruise control on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2lcv2OsuUg

Rob
I live in West Virginia we have a Lot of back roads. I turn all of this electronic stuff off. It’s constantly making noise trying to over correct and occasionally will steer you towards another car. If you’re not a good driver, it might be good but for me it’s a pain fighting with it.
Appreciate 1
X3MESQ49.00
      08-17-2023, 08:28 PM   #10
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
If you’re uncomfortable with anything and the dealer voluntarily offers a buyback, you should definitely take the buyback offer.
As long as they reimburse the owner all their payments plus interest too.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 09:50 PM   #11
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
I live in West Virginia we have a Lot of back roads. I turn all of this electronic stuff off. It’s constantly making noise trying to over correct and occasionally will steer you towards another car. If you’re not a good driver, it might be good but for me it’s a pain fighting with it.
It's funny you say that. I grew up - and learned to drive - in WV, and share your disdain for all the self-driving crap. Whether or not I'm a good driver gets redecided every time I get behind the wheel, but I do much prefer managing my place on the road and in traffic to managing the car managing my place. The best one can hope for is for the car to drive like a teenager, and that's just not good enough.

Mark
1988 4Runner on 40's - Off-road trailer queen
2001 PSD Excursion - The slave that drags the queen
Appreciate 3
X3MESQ49.00
swainbmw536.00
      08-17-2023, 11:09 PM   #12
X3MESQ
Enlisted Member
Israel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i
Location: Jerusalem, the eternal and forever undivided capital of the State of Israel

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
It's funny you say that. I grew up - and learned to drive - in WV, and share your disdain for all the self-driving crap. Whether or not I'm a good driver gets redecided every time I get behind the wheel, but I do much prefer managing my place on the road and in traffic to managing the car managing my place. The best one can hope for is for the car to drive like a teenager, and that's just not good enough.

Mark
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 01:58 AM   #13
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

I'd definitely consider the buyback route. Get it in writing.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 04:38 AM   #14
sarpal123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As long as they reimburse the owner all their payments plus interest too.

Rob
Fortunately (or not) it was a cash purchase; no loan involved. I'm assuming (expecting) that it will be a simple transaction *should* it go this far. I may be a sucker but I really like the car - there's very little that irks me, so I'd happily swap it out for a like for like (new) replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 12:56 PM   #15
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Fortunately (or not) it was a cash purchase; no loan involved. I'm assuming (expecting) that it will be a simple transaction *should* it go this far. I may be a sucker but I really like the car - there's very little that irks me, so I'd happily swap it out for a like for like (new) replacement.
Agree why would you swap it for something less, you obviously wanted what is on your car so would want the same again and hopefully all will work this time.
Ask them what they are offering but DON'T take first offer, good luck and let us know how you go on.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 01:13 PM   #16
sarpal123
Private First Class
Rep

Update: a week ago the car went back to the dealer to have the screen replaced (!) and then back again today to have a software update. It transpired that the update was up to v8.5. No errors for the last week; we'll see what the next few weeks (and updated software) results are...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 03:54 PM   #17
jri_21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G83), BMW X6

Garage List
2022 BMW M4 G83  [8.75]
2022 BMW X6  [10.00]
My wife’s previous vehicle (2019 X5), had persistent software issues that BMW wasn’t able to solve.
They offered a buyback or get me the exact same vehicle (which was what she wanted).
New X5 never gave us a problem & she loved it until lease end.
Happy with her X6 now.
You should be fine either way with BMW.
BTW…My dealer didn’t charge me any differential for mileage.
Good luck!
      09-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #18
jri_21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G83), BMW X6

Garage List
2022 BMW M4 G83  [8.75]
2022 BMW X6  [10.00]
Quote:
Update: a week ago the car went back to the dealer to have the screen replaced (!) and then back again today to have a software update. It transpired that the update was up to v8.5. No errors for the last week; we'll see what the next few weeks (and updated software) results are...
If you REALLY like the car, mention to your dealer (as I did) that you would like them to get you the same car (same specs, if your very happy with yours) and they should be more than OK with that.
Every so often, even when the manufacturing standards are extremely tight (as with BMW), a car will have issues that cannot be solved.
I’ve been buying BMW’s for the past 14 years (9 of them), plus a 1997 3.0L Z3 (then went to Mercedes x 9 years… &#129314 and never had a problem with any, other than the X5 and the replacement one we ordered, never had a problem.
It’s worth the try.
Good luck!
      09-09-2023, 06:33 AM   #19
Cruise'n
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Take the buyback for sure as others have suggested here.
Keep the next vehicle a little more basic meaning less of the whiz bang, self driving, self parking junk, etc.
I would also suggest staying with a pure ICE vehicle, M60i or X5M as it seems the PHEVs are experiencing more than their share of problems. Google that one if you have any doubts.
Agree and my thoughts too.
Take the buy back you don't want a lemon.
M60i all the way
Also BMW want the car back to study faults and sort the issues out.
Appreciate 3
cobramite1229.00
jri_21282.00
      09-09-2023, 06:51 AM   #20
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise'n View Post
Agree and my thoughts too.
Take the buy back you don't want a lemon.
M60i all the way
Also BMW want the car back to study faults and sort the issues out.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 02:05 PM   #21
sarpal123
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE

BMW finally decided to replace my 50e - like for like with all costs covered .
Recompense for the hassle over the last 4 months - the offer of the performance carbon fibre kit; front & rear winglets, spoiler and rear diffuser.
This sounds like a fair deal... anyone know what this lot would cost - fitted?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 06:12 PM   #22
bimmerwhale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
UPDATE

BMW finally decided to replace my 50e - like for like with all costs covered .
Recompense for the hassle over the last 4 months - the offer of the performance carbon fibre kit; front & rear winglets, spoiler and rear diffuser.
This sounds like a fair deal... anyone know what this lot would cost - fitted?

Thanks
Glad it worked out.Now that's a great dealership.
Appreciate 1