home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

09-08-2023, 07:54 AM   #1
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CompX

I’ve asked in a couple threads and have searched others, but no success. Can someone clarify which G80 aftermarket front grilles avoid the need to shave the foam away behind the bumper when installing?

I’d like a different grille in the same vein as the CSL or GT3 styles, but I need: 1.) nothing that requires removal of foam or anything that I can’t undo and 2.) ACC compatible. I realize that may eliminate many or all options, but I wanted to ask.

I’m leaning towards:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...e2903a21&_ss=r

Any help or advice is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 08:52 AM   #2
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

if you don't need it to be carbon, i've got a replica CSL grille that meets all of those reqs and is about 10% of the cost of that autotecknic.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805149867676.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-08-2023, 09:32 AM   #3
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
if you don't need it to be carbon, i've got a replica CSL grille that meets all of those reqs and is about 10% of the cost of that autotecknic.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805149867676.html
I’ll definitely look into this. I’d prefer carbon fiber but this is really sharp. I appreciate this.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:40 AM   #4
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter2099 View Post
I’ll definitely look into this. I’d prefer carbon fiber but this is really sharp. I appreciate this.
if you do want carbon you've got options as well, i just can't personally vouch for the fitment.

I love IND and i buy a ton of stuff from them, but you should be aware that Autotechnik's business is quite literally sourcing stuff from china and taking nice photos of it for the US market. For this type of product it's worth looking into what you can get just buying direct -

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...653710999.html
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if you do want carbon you've got options as well, i just can't personally vouch for the fitment.

I love IND and i buy a ton of stuff from them, but you should be aware that Autotechnik's business is quite literally sourcing stuff from china and taking nice photos of it for the US market. For this type of product it's worth looking into what you can get just buying direct -

Question: Why are many of these grills like those from Vorsteiner requiring foam to be shaved etc? Why is the fitment so far off?

I can’t claim to understand the fabricating process, but it’s puzzling to me that there are wide spread fitment issues on many of these options.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 11:06 AM   #6
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:

You still can't discount the much better support that you get from a US distributor and quicker shipper/returns/replacements.

I get that you don't like this practice, but that's of value to people, including me.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Question: Why are many of these grills like those from Vorsteiner requiring foam to be shaved etc? Why is the fitment so far off?

I can’t claim to understand the fabricating process, but it’s puzzling to me that there are wide spread fitment issues on many of these options.
I've gone through three different grills, including the Stradale, the Vorsteiner GT3 CF, and the Vorsteiner GT3 ABS (current).

The Stradale - absolutely abysmal fit out of the box. The top of the forward bumper was shaved in a second attempt to get it to sit correctly. Still didn't fit.

The Vorsteiner CF - didn't require shaving (it was already shaved from the Stradale, but I don't think it was a factor either way). Couldn't get the PDC sensors to function correctly. Actually attempted to replace this one with another Vorsteiner CF grill and the PDC sensor mount broke before we even installed it.

The Vorsteiner ABS - completely removed the forward foam bumper. This is likely the least destructive way to do it. Alternatively you need to cut major recesses into the foam to accommodate the PDC sensors.

As far as why... for the Stradale, it was an absolute abysmal fit even with shaving the bumper. The Vorsteiner ABS sits further back in the grill hole than any of the others that I used. All others pretty much sit flush with the front of the bumper cover, but the Vorsteiner ABS is inset into the grill hole. This is why there is so much interference with the foam bumper for the PDC sensors.

The first picture is the Stradale before shaving the bumper, it is sticking out at the top. Once we shaved it, and used two layers of 3M double sided tape it fit only just a little better.

The second picture is the Vorsteiner CF grill. Notice the PDC sensors are removed. That's because they wouldn't stop going off.

The last is the Vorsteiner ABS. Notice how far back into the bumper the grill sits. When I was first looking at the various grills, I wanted a flush mounted grill. But, now that I have the Vorsteiner ABS I *really* like the inset look and the ABS look.

One last note: of the three, only the Stradale can accommodate the full M4 Competition badge, which is why I went with it in the first place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-08-2023, 04:25 PM   #8
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:

The grill sets back further on the ABS one bit not the carbon fiber option. If I'm not mistaken, that's the only one that requires ypu to modify the foam. I shaved mine bit the replacement foam is only a 180 bucks and easy to replace. My BMW tech helped install mine and it was easy-going. I had the CSL grill bit recently switched mine. I wanted the Vorsteiner one initially and was scared to do the same.
Attached Images

04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 3
m4ml1895.00
jad4ca3.50
      09-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #9
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
I've gone through three different grills, including the Stradale, the Vorsteiner GT3 CF, and the Vorsteiner GT3 ABS (current).

The Stradale - absolutely abysmal fit out of the box. The top of the forward bumper was shaved in a second attempt to get it to sit correctly. Still didn't fit.

The Vorsteiner CF - didn't require shaving (it was already shaved from the Stradale, but I don't think it was a factor either way). Couldn't get the PDC sensors to function correctly. Actually attempted to replace this one with another Vorsteiner CF grill and the PDC sensor mount broke before we even installed it.

The Vorsteiner ABS - completely removed the forward foam bumper. This is likely the least destructive way to do it. Alternatively you need to cut major recesses into the foam to accommodate the PDC sensors.

As far as why... for the Stradale, it was an absolute abysmal fit even with shaving the bumper. The Vorsteiner ABS sits further back in the grill hole than any of the others that I used. All others pretty much sit flush with the front of the bumper cover, but the Vorsteiner ABS is inset into the grill hole. This is why there is so much interference with the foam bumper for the PDC sensors.

The first picture is the Stradale before shaving the bumper, it is sticking out at the top. Once we shaved it, and used two layers of 3M double sided tape it fit only just a little better.

The second picture is the Vorsteiner CF grill. Notice the PDC sensors are removed. That's because they wouldn't stop going off.

The last is the Vorsteiner ABS. Notice how far back into the [...]
I appreciate all of the detail and photos! Looks really sharp.

Hat goes off to you for working through all of that. Sounds ridiculously frustrating but your current Vorsteiner does look really good.

Thanks again for the post. Helps quite a bit.
Appreciate 1
m4ml1895.00
      09-09-2023, 09:25 AM   #10
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
The grill sets back further on the ABS one bit not the carbon fiber option. If I'm not mistaken, that's the only one that requires ypu to modify the foam. I shaved mine bit the replacement foam is only a 180 bucks and easy to replace. My BMW tech helped install mine and it was easy-going. I had the CSL grill bit recently switched mine. I wanted the Vorsteiner one initially and was scared to do the same.
That’s not bad at all to replace. Didn’t think you could and for $180, makes me feel better knowing that’s the worst I’m out.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3595.50
      09-09-2023, 07:46 PM   #11
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
That’s not bad at all to replace. Didn’t think you could and for $180, makes me feel better knowing that’s the worst I’m out.
Yep.... thats why I decided to do it. Personally, I like the Vorsteiner grill the best.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1