09-13-2023, 11:00 AM   #1
Penguinius
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i xdrive

Garage List
all season tyres uk

I know there are a few threads on cold weather and all season tyres in this section but I’m specific interested in all season tyres that I can get in the UK.

Winters are low on snow (maybe a week over the whole season and that’d be a lot) but high on 0 degree C temps and heavy on rain which aren’t going to be ideal for PS4S so my plan was to run a second set of wheels in winter but with all season tyres.

At least it was until I found it impossible to find any all seasons to fit the G80 over here. Any help from anyone appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 01:54 AM   #2
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Hi

If you get a square setup using the recommended 275/35R19 for winter tyres you might have more choice.

Various threads including https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1886041

I bought the bmw winter set at a discount and have had no issues. Just switch out each season which takes 30mins.

Winter handling is less than the summers obviously but grip in cold/wet is much better. Wear hasn’t been too bad. Going to last two winters before they are down to 4mm.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 02:47 AM   #3
Penguinius
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmct-M3 View Post
Hi

If you get a square setup using the recommended 275/35R19 for winter tyres you might have more choice.

Various threads including https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1886041

I bought the bmw winter set at a discount and have had no issues. Just switch out each season which takes 30mins.

Winter handling is less than the summers obviously but grip in cold/wet is much better. Wear hasn’t been too bad. Going to last two winters before they are down to 4mm.
Helpful, thanks for the reply.

Am I overthinking the reviews of winter / all-season tyres? Is a winter like the Alpin 5 that BMW seem to put in their packages going to worth it in the mild (cold and wet but little snow) winters over here? If it is then I’ll just get that and stop over thinking it but everything I read is so subjective…

And yeah I get asking for another subjective opinion isn’t ideal but there’s collective experience on this board and I have none with cold weather tyres…
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 06:40 AM   #4
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

😀

It’s hard. Some of the tyre sites say when temperatures get below around 8 (i seem to recall) tyre compound in summers gets hard and can crack. They also perform worse the colder and wetter it gets. Surprisingly, on the tyre reviews website, dry grip is still a win for the summer for some temperatures below 8.

I personally, and people will disagree, change over to winters. This means I can cope with either the alps or those few dustings of snow we get.

I have tried the alps in summer tyres (luckily had chains) and the long mind in the uk. Also one march coming across the peaks had 2” of snow. Not good.

Your call.
Appreciate 1