home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

09-13-2023, 06:36 PM   #1
twenty2twos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Radar Detector Mirror Wire Tap Question

Can anyone help with mirror wire tap install for a radar detector? I don't have a multimeter and I'm curious if somebody can let me know what colors are the power and ground?

Install seems simple and straight forward after watching a vortex video, but if there are any details I might be missing before getting into it, that'd be helpful as well. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 06:38 PM   #2
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240xi

I used this video, only difference is the mirror is a bit different https://youtu.be/JKvhcmoAHnE?si=WXrFgYpHKFmre-zD
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2023, 12:09 AM   #3
GHO$T
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW-M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2twos View Post
Can anyone help with mirror wire tap install for a radar detector? I don't have a multimeter and I'm curious if somebody can let me know what colors are the power and ground?

Install seems simple and straight forward after watching a vortex video, but if there are any details I might be missing before getting into it, that'd be helpful as well. Thanks!
What are using for a Mount ?

To the Windshield using the Tape, or off the Mirror with a bracket like a Blend mount ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 08:03 AM   #4
twenty2twos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO$T View Post
What are using for a Mount ?

To the Windshield using the Tape, or off the Mirror with a bracket like a Blend mount ?

Since my windshield is tinted and I do a lot of city driving, I decided against having it on the windshield. I bought a cheap mirror mount, but I’m expecting to not care for it. I actually have something that seems to work really well. For my golf bag I bought this stick it setup for my range finder and the plate (link below) is the perfect piece to go on my visor and have the single suction stick mount on it.

STICKIT Golf Bag Metal Landing Pad I Metal Bag Clip for Quick and Easy Use of Magnetic Golf Gear & Accessories with Convenient Positioning on Your Golf Bag https://a.co/d/breJTHc

It’s easy on and easy off with no mount sitting there empty when not in use. Also sits at the perfect angle and is just the right snugness on the visor. I was hoping the magnetic strap from Stick It would work as well, but the single suction fits perfectly and its low profile enough that it adds very little drop when on the visor. I’ll take some pictures when I get a chance.

One concern was being able to comfortably see the screen on the detector but the one I have is connected to an app, so now it’s about finding a good spot for the phone, or just having it audibly tell me what I need to know. Still toying around with ideas though.
Appreciate 1
GHO$T20.00
      09-14-2023, 08:41 AM   #5
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep

I have mine mounted using suction cups on the top of my windshield, doesn’t block anything and I can see it easily when I want to
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Buketz131.00
      09-17-2023, 02:54 AM   #6
Buketz
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m2

Garage List
2014 BMW 528  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Since my windshield is tinted and I do a lot of city driving, I decided against having it on the windshield. I bought a cheap mirror mount, but I’m expecting to not care for it. I actually have something that seems to work really well. For my golf bag I bought this stick it setup for my range finder and the plate (link below) is the perfect piece to go on my visor and have the single suction stick mount on it.

STICKIT Golf Bag Metal Landing Pad I Metal Bag Clip for Quick and Easy Use of Magnetic Golf Gear & Accessories with Convenient Positioning on Your Golf Bag https://a.co/d/breJTHc

It’s easy on and easy off with no mount sitting there empty when not in use. Also sits at the perfect angle and is just the right snugness on the visor. I was hoping the magnetic strap from Stick It would work as well, but the single suction fits perfectly and its low profile enough that it adds very little drop when on the visor. I’ll take some pictures when I get a chance.

One concern was being able to comfortably see the screen on the detector but the one I have is connected to an app, so now it’s about finding a good spot for the phone, or just having it audibly tell me what I need to know. Still toying around with ideas though.
Pictures please
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2023, 10:23 AM   #7
twenty2twos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #8
Buketz
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m2

Garage List
2014 BMW 528  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

That’s looks pretty good. Do passengers mind the cord?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 08:45 PM   #9
twenty2twos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buketz View Post
That’s looks pretty good. Do passengers mind the cord?

The idea is to wire tap it into the mirror, just haven’t had a chance to do that yet. Just got back from a wedding about 3 hours away and no complaints from my girlfriend about the cord. Once it’s wire tapped, it should clean everything up nicely and I like the fact that I don’t have to have it out all the time since I do a ton of in town driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 03:22 PM   #10
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap2x View Post
I used this video, only difference is the mirror is a bit different https://youtu.be/JKvhcmoAHnE?si=WXrFgYpHKFmre-zD
I hate how it seems that the tabs could easily break when pulling apart the plastic cover (at least it seems that way in the video). Anyone have the tabs break and not snap back together properly?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 09:51 PM   #11
ToneM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Getting that plastic housing around the mirror was the most difficult part. I actually used a really large flat head screwdriver but I don’t recommend that. Spend a few bucks and use plastic trim tools. Put it in between the two panels and twist. It should pop open. Try YouTubing M3/M4 hardwiring videos as they have the same style plastic housing as the M2
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:20 AM   #12
Hypori
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Had to use a plastic trim tool. Tried my fingers first and now they hurt like a b-
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:41 PM   #13
eppicspeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24-M2,22-X7,23-X1

Quote:

quick question, how long does it take for your radar to shut off? Im planing on getting mine car end of November and this is the first thing I want to do. Also did you plug both in the black one for one in each? (black and purplish connector)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:17 PM   #14
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppicspeed View Post
quick question, how long does it take for your radar to shut off? Im planing on getting mine car end of November and this is the first thing I want to do. Also did you plug both in the black one for one in each? (black and purplish connector)

Thanks!
About 5-10 mins after shutting car off. No, one goes in brown and another in red I believe, it was shown in that video and it was the same for me
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 10:43 PM   #15
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just did this and getting the cover off was a pain in the ass. I still don’t even know what I did to finally get it off
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 04:43 PM   #16
eppicspeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24-M2,22-X7,23-X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuzu View Post
I just did this and getting the cover off was a pain in the ass. I still don’t even know what I did to finally get it off
ya. I just saw this video. If you skip to 2:54, you can see that they had a hard time and they show where all the clamps where as well as the wires.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 10:31 PM   #17
rippernash
'Sirius' - 2024 G87 M2 in Black Sapphire
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, 2024 G87 M2

I did the Uniden R7 radar install today on the G87 using the Mirrortap cable. I mounted this setup using the blendmount for uniden. The mirror tap process was fairly simple but I ended up tapping into the rain sensor cable (pink) instead of the homelink cable (black) by connecting red to red and black to brown. However I accidentally shorted the automatic lighting system during the process and lost all power to the rain sensor. Ended up tracing the fuse to the F3 fuse in the BDC fuse box (passenger footwell, need to remove the trim near the right of the passenger feet to access it) and replaced it with a new 7.5amp fuse. That fixed the malfunction and everything was working again. Enjoying the zero cable look so far 👌
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2023, 06:21 PM   #18
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
I can't get mine to be powered by a switched power. I tried the 'pink' one. I tried this guy's hack to use the ground of the 'pink' connector and the power from the black one and that's not switched for me either.

I'm not even sure what option I might have that would possibly make my car any different. I do have a blinking red alarm light in my rear view mirror that never shuts off. I don't know if that is the same with others?

If anyone has any insight to this please let me know. I've left my plastic disassembled until I get the dash cam install sorted, but I would really like switched power for the radar.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 10:34 AM   #19
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
I can't get mine to be powered by a switched power. I tried the 'pink' one. I tried this guy's hack to use the ground of the 'pink' connector and the power from the black one and that's not switched for me either.

I'm not even sure what option I might have that would possibly make my car any different. I do have a blinking red alarm light in my rear view mirror that never shuts off. I don't know if that is the same with others?

If anyone has any insight to this please let me know. I've left my plastic disassembled until I get the dash cam install sorted, but I would really like switched power for the radar.

Thanks
False alarm. That video was correct. Not certain exactly how long it takes. I thought I timed it to over 10 minutes yesterday, but as I was shooting photos this morning I noticed that I was getting a power on cycle with my Uniden radar detector.

Thanks for this very odd tip on how to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #20
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
False alarm. That video was correct. Not certain exactly how long it takes. I thought I timed it to over 10 minutes yesterday, but as I was shooting photos this morning I noticed that I was getting a power on cycle with my Uniden radar detector.

Thanks for this very odd tip on how to make it work.
It takes you 10m for an auto power-on? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 06:55 PM   #21
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyj View Post
It takes you 10m for an auto power-on? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding
Sorry if I was unclear. No, it takes that long for it to turn off. Not certain if it takes that long every time, but it took so long while testing it that I thought it wasn't a switched power source at all.
Appreciate 1
sammyj255.50