Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Hi all, less than 24 hours into my ownership experience but wanted to share a few observations so far. I came out of a 3 row/air suspension X5 with iD7.

- ASS has not been an issue for me (yet). Just had a 50 minute round trip this morning in stop and go traffic and ASS never activated. 65 degrees outside, air running moderately, in comfort mode. Last night was a bit warmer in the low 80s, and I defeated ASS easily either bumping the car into sport or toggling drive into S or bumping the gas pedal without coming out of Auto hold. No big deal (yet).

- Air conditioning is cold immediately. I was worried about this also after reading the horror stories in the forums. Granted it's not 100 anymore outside, but it was in the high 80s and muggy yesterday when I was getting introduced to the features and had no issues with the A/C.

- The 40i was the right call. I had started a thread on here asking for the collective wisdom of 40 v M60. Thank you all for your input - this vehicle is plenty powerful for what I need it for.

- Atlas grey/white full leather is incredible. All the details are impeccable.

- DAPP on the highway feels a little more nervous to me than the X5. Could be because it was a windy day and the ride is higher. Might take some getting used to.

- Captain's chairs are a game-changer for the 3 kids. And the 5 zone HVAC, automatic sun shades, 3rd row moonroof. Compared to the GLS or another 3 row SUV this is a big notch above for rear seat occupants.

- iD8.5... surprisingly happy with this. Far better than iD8. So far it's been fine v the X5 with iD7. It's a cleaner, more integrated look and the proximity of the screen is really spot on. I was worried about this because I had iD8 in my M3 and that was one of the key reasons I sold it. Works fine in this application, and the HVAC controls are much more sensible and user friendly. No one does the interface for music better than BMW. Like it better than Apple CarPlay.

- B&W doesn’t punch with bass or envelop you in sound (yet). It’s an audiophile experience for clarity and DSP, but maybe after the speakers warm up a bit I’ll experience better sound. EDIT: moving slightly aft of center helps. The HK in my Z with aftermarket sub/amp lacks clarity but has much better bass and seems like better surround partially via speaker placement. I’ll keep messing with the settings.

- Ride height and headroom inside makes this feel more luxurious and stately v the X5.

- Not sure exactly which package enabled little M emblems and color accents everywhere, but probably M brakes and M sport package - illuminated M door sills, M colors in display tach and speedo, M in the center of display, M steering wheel, M on brake calipers. It’s nice. Overkill. But nice. Who needs the M60?! Sport exhaust pipes are a little too small.

- The storage area underneath the back deck will come in handy. Pics of luggage space also here so you can see how much room there is.

- Phone as key is cool except for the garage. And if you jump out the car after pulling out prepare for the car to honk at you (I’ll figure this out eventually)…

-Cupholders are slim fit style. Might want to get a yeti like pictured.

-Fineline open pore wood trim is darker than expected and as pictured on the website. But I like it. Shouldn’t show scratches. No clear coat. Doesn’t feel expensive like the other trims might, but goes fine with the white/grey seats.

-Phone charger doesn’t overheat mine after 15 minutes and got 10% charge in that time. Not bad. Probably won’t leave it on for too long.

I got lucky and didn't have any stop sales or hardware/software failures (yet). So I'm sorry for those who have had issues lately.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      09-22-2023, 09:27 AM   #2
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i ordered

Who needs the M60? The M60 is the reason I even considered the X7. If you don't need a V8 what is the point of getting the X7 instead of Lexus LX?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiedzmin View Post
Who needs the M60? The M60 is the reason I even considered the X7. If you don't need a V8 what is the point of getting the X7 instead of Lexus LX?
I didn't say "who needs the M60" as it relates to the power, but for the M badges. Haha. It was a joke. Lighten up, dude!

The M60 is more power than I need for family hauling. But I understand if you want it - personal decision. For me with 3 girls, I'd rather not stop for gas on a road trip - 600 miles of range is better than 450, especially if the girls are sound asleep or we just want to hit starbucks and not top off the gas tank.

No chance I’m even considering buying a Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 10:20 AM   #4
khai37
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7

Are the third row head pillows standard in the 2024?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khai37 View Post
Are the third row head pillows standard in the 2024?
No I kept mine from the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #6
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Nice review! You are brave to have lighter colored seats w/3 kids! LOL!

I needed more trunk space w/all 3 rows up so I went w/the GLS (no plan to install a roof carrier for more storage).

Enjoy the car and hope you don't have that nasty brake booster issue!
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2023, 11:58 AM   #7
007 G07
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '05 Odyssey EX-L

Garage List
Congratulations on your new X7! Looks great! I just wanted to say that the B&W sound system does not sound very effective, especially in the bass department, if everything is at its factory setting. While you continue to change the settings, I would recommend looking at previous threads in this forum to see if you like any of the settings previously discussed, including mine

I'm an audiophile but not an audio engineer or anything like that, but I recently heard that "breaking in" speakers is an actual thing, so it could also take a little bit of time to get to the optimal sound output.

Otherwise, I hope you and your family enjoy the new X7!
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2023, 12:02 PM   #8
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
Nice review! You are brave to have lighter colored seats w/3 kids! LOL!

I needed more trunk space w/all 3 rows up so I went w/the GLS (no plan to install a roof carrier for more storage).

Enjoy the car and hope you don't have that nasty brake booster issue!
So we have a new rule - no food in the car, no juice. Just water. And take shoes off when you get in. I plan to clean the leather every 6 months

But really I just wanted to brighten up the interior. Could be a disaster, we'll see!
Appreciate 1
EWL5919.00
      09-22-2023, 12:15 PM   #9
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 G07 View Post
Congratulations on your new X7! Looks great! I just wanted to say that the B&W sound system does not sound very effective, especially in the bass department, if everything is at its factory setting. While you continue to change the settings, I would recommend looking at previous threads in this forum to see if you like any of the settings previously discussed, including mine

I'm an audiophile but not an audio engineer or anything like that, but I recently heard that "breaking in" speakers is an actual thing, so it could also take a little bit of time to get to the optimal sound output.

Otherwise, I hope you and your family enjoy the new X7!
Thanks!! Breaking in speakers is definitely necessary. I’m enjoying the system more and more as I tinker around with the settings. The bass doesn’t punch, but it’s a very good sound system.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:26 PM   #10
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

Awesome choice… I went with the ivory and atlas interior w captains chairs in my m60i plus the matching headliner… could not be happier with the combo. I have 4 young kids and 2 dogs and have no issues with the seat color. My kids are all fully “trained” on car etiquette (they even police each other as needed &#128514. After 36k miles in my m5 with silverstone merino interior it still looks like new, so I’m fairly confident that with routine cleaning there will be no issues. Enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #11
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Beautiful ride!! The B&W is the best sounding car audio I’ve ever experienced. MystroX5 is the man when it comes to tuning the B&W so, I would start with his recommendation and go from there… if needed. And yes, it does need some breaking in.

Enjoy!

John

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=audio
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2023, 01:17 PM   #12
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
Awesome choice… I went with the ivory and atlas interior w captains chairs in my m60i plus the matching headliner… could not be happier with the combo. I have 4 young kids and 2 dogs and have no issues with the seat color. My kids are all fully “trained” on car etiquette (they even police each other as needed &#128514. After 36k miles in my m5 with silverstone merino interior it still looks like new, so I’m fairly confident that with routine cleaning there will be no issues. Enjoy your new ride!
Nice!! Thank you. I probably should have gone with the matching headliner…. I thought it might be too much white in here but oh well saved $1000. On the M60i it’s included but with the 40i it’s extra although the black alcantara comes with the M sport package.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 01:28 PM   #13
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradythedog12 View Post
Beautiful ride!! The B&W is the best sounding car audio I’ve ever experienced. MystroX5 is the man when it comes to tuning the B&W so, I would start with his recommendation and go from there… if needed. And yes, it does need some breaking in.

Enjoy!

John

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=audio
Thank you! It is an outstanding system m. The only comparable system I’ve had was on my 2012 X5 50i with HK where I added an amp and sub. That system was incredibly crisp and had the power down low. The total wattage was 1600. But the HK today is weak sauce by comparison in terms of power and number of speakers, so opting for B&W was a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:05 AM   #14
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Nice!! Thank you. I probably should have gone with the matching headliner…. I thought it might be too much white in here but oh well saved $1000. On the M60i it’s included but with the 40i it’s extra although the black alcantara comes with the M sport package.
Ah, I didn’t realize it was an up charge on the 40i. I think it looks awesome, and the real clincher is that the ivory headliner has alcantera on the sunshades as well, whereas the black alcantera headliners have regrettably been fitted with the woven cloth for the sunshade. Either way though, the interior on these vehicles is spectacular.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2023, 11:16 AM   #15
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
Ah, I didn’t realize it was an up charge on the 40i. I think it looks awesome, and the real clincher is that the ivory headliner has alcantera on the sunshades as well, whereas the black alcantera headliners have regrettably been fitted with the woven cloth for the sunshade. Either way though, the interior on these vehicles is spectacular.
I was telling the wifey yesterday if I spec’d this interior on a Porsche it would cost an extra $10k. Just the illuminated door sills would be 1200, the leather lined floor mats 1200, the alcantara ceiling 2000, leather dashboard and extended doorsills 1800, alcantara sunshades, leather steering wheel, etc etc etc. maybe less but still the attention to detail and luxury of this interior is top notch.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 06:29 PM   #16
Mwerks23
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Awesome post OP! I just wanted to ask as I am in the market for a X5 or X7, seeing that you have 3 kids, the X7 does make sense. I am starting a family and am trying to figure out if the X5 would make more sense first or just go with the X7 as it seems like it has a bit more space and practicality towards it.

Appreciate any feedback you may have to offer!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2023, 07:28 PM   #17
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwerks23 View Post
Awesome post OP! I just wanted to ask as I am in the market for a X5 or X7, seeing that you have 3 kids, the X7 does make sense. I am starting a family and am trying to figure out if the X5 would make more sense first or just go with the X7 as it seems like it has a bit more space and practicality towards it.

We made a mistake on this early on when we were starting a family- we got an X3, and it couldn’t fit the backwards facing car seats without some squishing of the front seat passenger. So when our second child came along we upgraded to a GL450 because there was no x7 at that time. That car we kept for 5 years through 3 kids as babies and toddlers. But we actually got a minivan also a few years into the Merc because it was hard to get to the rear seats without captains chairs. We sold both and got the third row X5 after 2 years with the minivan and 5 years with the GL. This was GREAT until the kids got to 6-7 years old. We took a dozen road trips and whoever was in the way back was OK but not super happy especially if it was hot or cold back there.

The X7 is better for rear facing car seats and kids beyond 6-7 years old. My conclusion! I would take your car seats to the dealer and try them out in a used X5 to see how it works for you. If you plan to have 2+ kids and also want to take anyone else in the car (grandparents, nanny, etc.) go for the X7.

But the X7 is SO nice relative to the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 08:15 PM   #18
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Can you tell me what you like about the captains chairs vs going 7 seats? We also have 3 kids and my wife wants to change out of her current XC90 (seven seats). It’s great for family trips. Her #1 replacement plan right now is… another (new) XC90. However, I’ve thrown the X7 (40i) into the consideration list as we want to be able to haul at least 6 people (when grandma comes along) or the 5 us plus the dog. I’d appreciate any thoughts and insight you have! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #19
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Can you tell me what you like about the captains chairs vs going 7 seats? I have 3 kids and my wife wants to get rid of her currently XC90 (seven seats). It’s great for family trips. Her #1 replacement plan right now is… another XC90. However, I’ve thrown the X7 (40i) into the consideration list as we want to be able to haul at least 6 people (when grandma comes along) or the 5 us plus the dog. I’d appreciate any thoughts and insight you have! Thanks
The biggest benefit is being able to see our kids and for them to see out. The opening between the seats in the X5 with 40/20/40 is small and same in the X7. The ride height of the third row in the X7 gives good line of sight for third row passengers (my kids). The captains chairs are amazing for the adjustability and arm rests serve as a barrier of sorts. The kids jump right over them or squeeze between them. They can also fold them down easily.

The other benefit in the captains chairs is air flow. Although with 3rd row HVAC controls and heated seats not as big of a deal.

If you want to fold down the second row, this is not possible with captains chairs so this is something to be aware of. We don’t need to fold those down.

My kids love the captains chairs. Gives them a sense of ownership over their space. And when my dad travels with us, he has a very nice chair to relax in.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 10:20 PM   #20
keg97
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Can you tell me what you like about the captains chairs vs going 7 seats? We also have 3 kids and my wife wants to change out of her current XC90 (seven seats). It’s great for family trips. Her #1 replacement plan right now is… another (new) XC90. However, I’ve thrown the X7 (40i) into the consideration list as we want to be able to haul at least 6 people (when grandma comes along) or the 5 us plus the dog. I’d appreciate any thoughts and insight you have! Thanks
With 3 kids, if you're not going to sit them 3 across the 2nd row, I'd go with the captains chairs b/c the power 2nd row is slooooow. It would be painful to have to wait dozens of times/week for the 2nd row action.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2023, 06:00 PM   #21
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 40i

Quote:

I made the mistake of getting an x3 when our first kiddo was around 1. Great car for one kid but we never took it on any road trips or longer drives as we tend to over pack. A stroller basically fills the trunk. As soon as we had our second I found myself needing the size/space of the x7. I was initially worried it would feel too big and debated if an x5 was big enough but I’m happy with my choice. I never use the third row but love having the bigger trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 10:25 AM   #22
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:

I have both an X5 and an X7, with 3 kids.

If all three kids are in the car, X7 hands down.

We take the X5 when it is 2 out of 3 kids.
Appreciate 0