BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2019 xDrive40i lower lift gate will not open

09-26-2023, 10:00 PM   #1
toddnine
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Tundra, Forrester

2019 xDrive40i lower lift gate will not open

Hi all,
My wife’s 2019 X7 xDrive40i seems to have a stuck lower lift gate. She mentioned it failed for her a week ago, but I was unable to reproduce the issue when I checked it. This morning, it won’t open at all. I’ve tested it with the motor running as well, just in case it was caused by a low battery when the vehicle is off.

When I press the open button I hear an audible click as the left lock tries to operate, but not on the right. I have a feeling it’s either a bad wiring harness, loose plug, or failed lock on the right side. Of course, our warranty ran out a few months ago, and this is the first issue we’ve had with it. Is there any way to get the lower gate to open manually? Any guidance for fixing it myself would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 08:15 AM   #2
themama
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

did you get any software update recently?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #3
itiongo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

I had this same issue. You have to manually force it open. If it doesn't close electronically, you have to manually force it closed as well. After a few times, it should be able to open and close electronically. Wait a week with out opening the lower trunk door and see if this issue continues. If it continues, take it to BMW after a week and hope that it doesn't work when you present it to the service rep.

The hinges were replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0