BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Huge frustration with Apple Car Play

09-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #1
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Huge frustration with Apple Car Play

Not sure if it is BMW or Apple the one to blame here but I have been extremely frustrated with the integration of Apple Car Play on my 2023 X7. 80% of the times my wife or I drive the car, out iPhones do not connect to the system. Sometimes it cannot find the phones, sometimes both phones are showing as options but connection fails and sometimes it connects but then disconnects again. I have reset the system dozens of times, unpaired and paired the phone again but most of the times we have no Apple Car Play or actually no connection with our phones to the car. BTW, since the upgrade to the new iOS it got even worst. Why is it so difficult to get this to work?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 03:59 PM   #2
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Not sure if it is BMW or Apple the one to blame here but I have been extremely frustrated with the integration of Apple Car Play on my 2023 X7. 80% of the times my wife or I drive the car, out iPhones do not connect to the system. Sometimes it cannot find the phones, sometimes both phones are showing as options but connection fails and sometimes it connects but then disconnects again. I have reset the system dozens of times, unpaired and paired the phone again but most of the times we have no Apple Car Play or actually no connection with our phones to the car. BTW, since the upgrade to the new iOS it got even worst. Why is it so difficult to get this to work?
Take it to the dealer and have them update the software to the latest version
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #3
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Aren’t the updates available over the air?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
I find problems with connection when my VPN is turned on. If you are using VPN I usually turn it off when I get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:43 PM   #5
petshopboys
Rep

don't worry, it happen on every car's carplay system, the main problem is bluetooth technology itself, bluetooth is 20 years old technology not that much room to improve, so the bluetooth protocol is already out and not suit for current high speed and smart technology. the temporary solution so is turn on/off your iphone or android phone's bluetooth while you get in the car, no cure to solve this issue because of bluetooth problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 06:52 PM   #6
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Aren’t the updates available over the air?
The dealer can do the most recent available. If you have a complaint they will do it
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #7
DVEUS1X7
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X740i, 23 Escalade

I have noticed that Apple Car Play fails to connect far more often if I remote start the vehicle. It will at times even give me the you are using a unsupport version of bluetooth error. It shouldn't be the case, but I have to turn off the X7 let it sit for a few minutes while I walk out of bluetooth range, in order get Car Play to connect again on start up.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 02:10 PM   #8
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

1. Go to your dealer and demand that they install the latest iDrive firmware to your system. I was having the notorious GPS drift issue and only a version of the firmware that the dealer could install solved my issue.

2. Have your wife turn her wi-fi and Bluetooth off before getting into the car. iDrive is a disaster when it comes to figuring out which of you is which so don't give it the opportunity to screw it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 05:59 AM   #9
tewai
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 LCI Frozen Pure Grey

I had problems with my iphone from the beginning but it seems the 7/2023.45 update helped.
Carplay still dc from time to time but it'll go up when i touch it in phone menu.
Before i had to do restart every time it dced and that happened couple of times a day, now I'm like 8 days without single restart.
BTW I was told all these problems are caused by some systems that should work with some sort of smart traffic lights and they just dont know how to fix it...
Appreciate 0