BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-03-2023, 08:09 AM   #1
sammy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Should I get my new G42 ceramic coated by my dealer?

Hello,
I ordered a new 230xi coupe from my dealer back in April. I got the call yesterday that it will be arriving next week for delivery. It is a 2024 230xi coupe in black sapphire metallic with cognac sensatec interior, M sport package, premium package (moonroof deletion), Harmon Kardon system.

I'm seriously considering having it ceramic coated (interior and exterior) by the dealer upon arrival. I was just wondering if you all thought this was a good idea. Given that black cars show dirt easily and I also have a dog, I thought that ceramic coating would help protect both the interior and exterior of my car.

Having the car ceramic coated before I take delivery would also be more convenient for me than having to drop it off at another shop after I take delivery. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 08:54 AM   #2
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Although I would say yes to ceramic coating being worth it, I would not have it done by the dealer unless you know who is doing the work and that they have reputable quality. I've never been satisfied by any work done by the dealer (primarily stone guard in my case) or others including my wife who have had it done by the dealer. They will typically use whoever is cheap to increase their profit margin, so you won't necessarily have the best quality result. Not only will you have a better chance of good workmanship if you get it done at a reputable detailing shop, you may actually pay less than the dealer would charge.

I'd say get yourself a rental or loaner car and get a good detailing shop to do it.
Appreciate 1
nype142.50
      10-03-2023, 09:13 AM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

I wouldn’t get it done by the dealer. My detailer used to work for BMW but set up on his own (very successfully) because BMW did not allow the guys enough time to do a quality job.

I asked my dealer not to remove any protective foams or plastics and not to wash the car. Repeat - ask them not to wash the car.

On collection day I picked the car up and took it straight to my detailer.

It’s well worth the inconvenience of moving the car around for the day and getting a proper job done.
Appreciate 2
nype142.50
PP3121363.50
      10-03-2023, 10:09 AM   #4
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

absolutely not
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 12:34 PM   #5
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I had mine done by the dealer, quite happy with the work.
UK car.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 08:22 PM   #6
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Hello,
I ordered a new 230xi coupe from my dealer back in April. I got the call yesterday that it will be arriving next week for delivery. It is a 2024 230xi coupe in black sapphire metallic with cognac sensatec interior, M sport package, premium package (moonroof deletion), Harmon Kardon system.

I'm seriously considering having it ceramic coated (interior and exterior) by the dealer upon arrival. I was just wondering if you all thought this was a good idea. Given that black cars show dirt easily and I also have a dog, I thought that ceramic coating would help protect both the interior and exterior of my car.

Having the car ceramic coated before I take delivery would also be more convenient for me than having to drop it off at another shop after I take delivery. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
I would NEVER let my dealer ceramic coat my car. I won’t even let them wash it. They’re animals. I had a reputable group do my vinyl wrap for the front and ceramic coat the rest of the exterior.
Appreciate 1
nype142.50
      10-04-2023, 12:42 AM   #7
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

They sub it out to the cheapest company to get maximum profit. Take the care to a trusted shop of your choice. It’ll be cheaper and better quality.
nype142.50
      10-04-2023, 03:38 AM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Oh hell no.

A typical shady dealer will send the lot boy out with a bottle of some stuff available at Pep Boys for $7 that has "ceramic" somewhere on the label - which is just about every detailing product on the market nowadays. He'll spend 15 minutes with that and a coarse old rag and they'll charge you a fortune for this miracle product.

Not in a million years.
nype142.50
      10-04-2023, 11:51 AM   #9
sammy
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. I will take the car to a reputable local detailer. I think I will get both the ceramic coating (whole car) and PPF (front) as well as window tinting.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2023, 11:58 AM   #10
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

I think this is overkill if you have a garage. Definitely about $4-5k you won’t see back when you sell it. But if you’re set on it def a shop that works on nice cars
Appreciate 1
PL4NCK10.50
      10-04-2023, 12:09 PM   #11
sammy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
I think this is overkill if you have a garage. Definitely about $4-5k you won’t see back when you sell it. But if you’re set on it def a shop that works on nice cars
Yeah, the detailer quoted me just over 4K for all three services. I do have a garage but I also commute into the city regularly and have to park on the street. There is a lot of road construction around here; which creates a lot of debris.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 12:54 PM   #12
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Yeah, the detailer quoted me just over 4K for all three services. I do have a garage but I also commute into the city regularly and have to park on the street. There is a lot of road construction around here; which creates a lot of debris.
This is Canadian costs, so higher than USA, but for your services, our non-dealer professionals charge:

Ceramic coating, 10 year warranty: ~$1500.00
PPF front (Hood 24", fender, mirrors, front bumper) - ~$750.00 (I had this done)
Tint - 5 windows, ~$500 (estimate)

So getting it done by professionals that need to uphold their reputation by offering guaranteed high quality work will cost about $2,750 in CAD, your dealer wants to charge $4000 or more.

The choice seems obvious to me. And again, if it's inconvenient to lose your car for a few days, you'll still come out ahead if you get a rental for a day or two. I think you could find a good shop that can likely do all 3 services. Most detailing placed do ceramic, PPF, and it's possible they tint too (it's so similar to PPF, why not?).
Appreciate 1
nype142.50
      10-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #13
nype
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
This is Canadian costs, so higher than USA, but for your services, our non-dealer professionals charge:

Ceramic coating, 10 year warranty: ~$1500.00
PPF front (Hood 24", fender, mirrors, front bumper) - ~$750.00 (I had this done)
Tint - 5 windows, ~$500 (estimate)

So getting it done by professionals that need to uphold their reputation by offering guaranteed high quality work will cost about $2,750 in CAD, your dealer wants to charge $4000 or more.

The choice seems obvious to me. And again, if it's inconvenient to lose your car for a few days, you'll still come out ahead if you get a rental for a day or two. I think you could find a good shop that can likely do all 3 services. Most detailing placed do ceramic, PPF, and it's possible they tint too (it's so similar to PPF, why not?).
I paid $950 CAD for Ceramic Pro ION (7 year), $150 CAD for headlight PPF, and $300 CAD for rear windows tinting. Dealership wanted $3000 + for just a "ceramic coating", but could not tell me who would do the coating and what products would be used.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 01:32 PM   #14
nype
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
I would NEVER let my dealer ceramic coat my car. I won’t even let them wash it. They’re animals. I had a reputable group do my vinyl wrap for the front and ceramic coat the rest of the exterior.
The local dealerships have car wash machines, which always freaks me out when I see them running brand new cars through it. I had to physically stop them from running mine through it when I went in for first service. Even though I had told them not to wash it and put signs inside the car saying the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 07:48 PM   #15
Joepep529
Private
Rep
Drives: M240

Quote:
Hello,

got my car last week the dealer quoted me 2300 for 3 yr ceramic, I.m doing it at place near my house there much cheaper and great reviews, ,there doing car with 5 year ceramic and using ceramic pro it's 1000 for car 350 extra for rims and calipers PPf on front bumper and black trim on sides 650 xtra all under 2 grand got a very small chip on the bumper the size of a fruit fly the guy said he'll fix that for free he has the touch up paint from another Brooklyn gray car which BMW does not have out, yet so I,m getting ceramic and some ppf at 1950 and 2300 does not include the rims and calipers at BMW dealer I would price it out ,,, the place im going to quoted me 1500 for just the car when I called but then I went in person with car and spoke to the guy in person he looked at my car and said he'll do it for a 1000 cause it's brand new, also forgot to mention I got a screen protector for Idrive from amazon he's gonna put that on as well, and waiting for tint approval from DMV got a doctors note so the tints will be legal for my car in NY cause they are illegal in ny so he said the tints are 350 but if I want ceramic tints it's 850 but the tints I'm gonna try to lower him on the price when I do that later

Last edited by Joepep529; 10-04-2023 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
nype142.50
      10-05-2023, 12:58 PM   #16
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepep529 View Post
got my car last week the dealer quoted me 2300 for 3 yr ceramic, I.m doing it at place near my house there much cheaper and great reviews, ,there doing car with 5 year ceramic and using ceramic pro it's 1000 for car 350 extra for rims and calipers PPf on front bumper and black trim on sides 650 xtra all under 2 grand got a very small chip on the bumper the size of a fruit fly the guy said he'll fix that for free he has the touch up paint from another Brooklyn gray car which BMW does not have out, yet so I,m getting ceramic and some ppf at 1950 and 2300 does not include the rims and calipers at BMW dealer I would price it out ,,, the place im going to quoted me 1500 for just the car when I called but then I went in person with car and spoke to the guy in person he looked at my car and said he'll do it for a 1000 cause it's brand new, also forgot to mention I got a screen protector for Idrive from amazon he's gonna put that on as well, and waiting for tint approval from DMV got a doctors note so the tints will be legal for my car in NY cause they are illegal in ny so he said the tints are 350 but if I want ceramic tints it's 850 but the tints I'm gonna try to lower him on the price when I do that later
I think your “.” key is broken along with your carriage return key.

I’d avoid the guy that is offering a cheaper price “because it’s new”. The car will still need a decon and prep for the coating. It’s not less work.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 07:09 PM   #17
Joepep529
Private
Rep
Drives: M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I think your “.” key is broken along with your carriage return key.

I’d avoid the guy that is offering a cheaper price “because it’s new”. The car will still need a decon and prep for the coating. It’s not less work.
The guy I'm using is the best in my area I'm paying him a lot of money and he gave me good price because I made a deal with him and I can get him more business even though he doesn't need extra business..., Anyway , what do u mean my key is broken , just because a guy gives you a good price don't mean they do shitty work... I go by recommendations and reviews, he said the car has to be there for 5 days , the dealer said they can do it in 2 days my guy said the paint correction can take 2 days takes, 1 day for ceramic to harden to do next step and so on, so I think he's gonna do a great job , and maybe you paid more because you think that's better I rather the 5 day job for 1000 then the 2 day 2300 rush deal. I did a lot of research in my area to find the right guy most places do have a few bad reviews, the place I'm using has over 300 5 star reviews if I see more then 3 bad reviews they are done in my eyes , but you seem like a genius which place did you use? and lots of places don't use real ceramic, I know my guy does, most dealers do not. I had many months to research it, I spent 2 hours in his shop so he showed me everything and he really knows his stuff, I also it get registered with carfax, and he had quite many nice cars he was working on Porsche gt3s 200 grand cars, a Ferrari and many BMW' real M cars a couple of Teslas , range rovers my car is the cheapest car he's working on, he has a big garage...he does great work ive seen it first hand, in person .

Last edited by Joepep529; 10-05-2023 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 07:51 PM   #18
nype
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

You aren’t using the Queen’s proper punctuation and grammar. He’s just taking a piss, or whatever the Brit saying is.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 08:04 PM   #19
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Taking the piss
Appreciate 1
nype142.50
      10-05-2023, 09:43 PM   #20
nype
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Taking the piss
Oops thx
Sorry eh
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 01:47 AM   #21
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
You aren’t using the Queen’s proper punctuation and grammar. He’s just taking a piss, or whatever the Brit saying is.
King’s English you heathen.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 02:05 AM   #22
nype
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
King’s English you heathen.
lol double oops