BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

10-03-2023, 03:29 PM   #1
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Highway Assistant

The car I put a deposit on (i5 M60) does not have Highway Assistant, which is the hands free and lane change with eye movement. It has the Stop & Go adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. My husband really wants the hands free. Does anyone know if the hardware is already installed and this could be a $2,000 software upgrade?

If not, it looks like I will forfeit the vehicle, do a custom build an get the car in December. It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but I think my husband will whine about it every time he drives. He uses the Blue Cruise on his Lightning every day.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #2
wagonallterrain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 i5 M60, 20 745e, 22 E450AT

I don't think you can add the highway assist after it's built as I believe it's requiring special radars / sensors to work.

I drive 150 miles on highway once every week so it definitely would be a deal breaker for me. I think the stop & go works till 40mph? So if you don't need to use it a lot for high speed then it may suffice. You can also test drive the car you put the deposit on before you make a decision.
Appreciate 1
Scrapula2838.00
      10-03-2023, 04:40 PM   #3
G35c6MT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
The car I put a deposit on (i5 M60) does not have Highway Assistant, which is the hands free and lane change with eye movement. It has the Stop & Go adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. My husband really wants the hands free. Does anyone know if the hardware is already installed and this could be a $2,000 software upgrade?

If not, it looks like I will forfeit the vehicle, do a custom build an get the car in December. It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but I think my husband will whine about it every time he drives. He uses the Blue Cruise on his Lightning every day.
What’s your build and where are you located? I may forfeit due to missing ARS but have all other features. Black/Brown w/21in rims M60
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 05:09 PM   #4
Scrapula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35c6MT View Post
What’s your build and where are you located? I may forfeit due to missing ARS but have all other features. Black/Brown w/21in rims M60
I’m in Seattle. I am happy with the car I am getting.

He wants Vegas Red, Merino leather, executive, 19” wheels and highway assist.

My car is mineral white, executive, sky lounge with 20” wheels, black veganza.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
Scrapula
Captain
Rep

Well, I am going to abandon the vehicle. I asked the dealer if he could swap vehicles with another dealer and he responded, “I think it’s best we just refund you the deposit. We do not do dealer swaps or trades. We only offered that deal as a courtesy.”

LMAO. They offered full MSRP. I was doing them a favor by going to their dealership. I’m taking my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
Sisyrx242.50
      10-07-2023, 10:04 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
Well, I am going to abandon the vehicle. I asked the dealer if he could swap vehicles with another dealer and he responded, “I think it’s best we just refund you the deposit. We do not do dealer swaps or trades. We only offered that deal as a courtesy.”

LMAO. They offered full MSRP. I was doing them a favor by going to their dealership. I’m taking my business elsewhere.
Seems like the CA at your dealer is not customer focused. Vote with your wallet. Regarding the Highway Assistant and your original question. BMW is not Tesla. If a car does not have a certain option, BMW does not even install the wiring needed to add that option. Commonly retrofitting it later is an expensive (and complicated) endeavor.