E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Reduce Size Of ISTA+ Installation Possible?

10-06-2023, 07:23 AM   #1
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

Reduce Size Of ISTA+ Installation Possible?

I recently bit the bullet and created a VM(virtual machine) installation of ISTA+(4.39.20 + BLP 4.43.21 update, But no SDP 'flash programming' data installed), and the total VM size(including the Windows 10 installation base) all came out to about 116GB.

My ISTA-D 3.5X VMs(from around 2016) were initially around the same size, but I was able to delete all "data" of models/series other than what I own and reduce the size of the VM to about 50~60GB, (albeit these were based on Windows 7).

But with the newer ISTA+ platform, the largest data packets are the SQLiteDBs (the required "Other" and "EN" files) which take up close to 80GB, but the "data" in these DBs are not easily accessible as they are not neatly divided into folders by various series codes. I am not proficient in SQL, but managed to open & browse these large DBs in SQLite DB Browser, and again the data is not obviously grouped or divided into folders that can just be chucked if not needed, nor does it seem possible to access such "folders"(if they exist at all) from a high level in a directory tree for selecting for deletion.

Has anyone tried reducing the size of their ISTA+ installation to include only data pertaining to their series/models of interest and deleting all other series'/models' data? If so, I'd be so grateful if you'd share how ya done it. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I believe since version 4.24.30 it has required 150GB of space to install. I could be wrong, but I believe even if you lessen the size of the files it may still “look” for the minimum of 150 GB free space.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I believe since version 4.24.30 it has required 150GB of space to install. I could be wrong, but I believe even if you lessen the size of the files it may still “look” for the minimum of 150 GB free space.
You are likely correct. In my case, as the installation is in a VM, it is only necessary that Windows recognizes a 150GB+ C: drive(on the "guest" system), even though I do not have a full 150GB of free space on my (physical)"host" system. So my 160GB setting for my VM would remain as set, but can be used as long as the physically used space by the VM does not exceed the free space available on the "host" system. That is how I am managing to run the VM currently, and have not issues as is. I just would like to have a more compact version so I can more quickly reload it if needed (and not have to clear a huge space on my host system). I will of course eventually upgrade my laptop to something more suitable to today's standards.

It's unfortunate that the BLP data which does have data categorized by series/models it seems, is only about 13GB so it is not the main space hog, it is the more obscure SQLiteDBs that take up like 80GB, but the nature of their contents makes it not obvious where data for which series/models resides. It may be clear for those that are familiar with SQL and BMW's current system of organizing such data, but for mere mortals like me, it seems just like a sea of indistinguishable data.
Appreciate 0