bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-14-2023, 10:39 AM   #1
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

Radio remaining on after exiting the car

So this is my first BMW and I gather from reading the various forums that this is a common feature with all BMWs?

When I open the door the radio and dash come alive. Then when I close the door, it remains on. I haven't timed it yet but it was on last night for at least an hour before I realized it.

This is not a problem in normal everyday driving because I always lock it when I exit but it is a right PITA when it is in my garage. I don't lock it in my own garage and I really don't want to.

I looked through the options on the menus and don't see anything for this at all and I read some other forums where it isn't configurable - is this true? Do I have to buy a Bimmercode to turn this feature off?

Mine is a '24MY with ID8 (I think it is ID8).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 11:29 AM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

When entering the car, radio and dash come alive. Correct. It will stay on until the battery management says no. It’s not usually as long as an hour though, may be 15/20 minutes.

When exiting the car, the radio should switch off when you open the door.
I can’t remember if this is an idrive setting though. In previous BMWs it was a hate of mine that the radio stayed on until you shut the door rather than opened it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 11:34 AM   #3
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine is staying on after I close the door when I don't lock it. I wouldn't mind it remaining on for a few minutes but I am sure it was on at least an hour last night.

I just took it home yesterday and I will play with it tonight to see if it eventually shuts off.

Seems like there should be a setting to set whether it stays on and/or how long it remains on after the last door is closed.

The other option I have is to set it so that it locks/unlocks whenever the fob is in close proximity but this is still a pita when the car is in the garage and you are in and out of the garage. Had that with other cars and disabled it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Just checked. Go to the doors and windows app, it’s on option in the “lock” settings to switch off the system on opening the door.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 07:15 AM   #5
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Just checked. Go to the doors and windows app, it’s on option in the “lock” settings to switch off the system on opening the door.
Thanks.

Mine was set to green (On I think) so I switched it to the other setting - greyed out.

It still stays on, but now it only stays on for about 10 minutes.

Very annoying that BMW chooses this to stay on like this - I've owned a lot of cars over the years and never has one of them kept the radio and dash on for 10 minutes after opening and closing a door. I guess I will just have to get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 07:33 AM   #6
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
Thanks.

Mine was set to green (On I think) so I switched it to the other setting - greyed out.

It still stays on, but now it only stays on for about 10 minutes.

Very annoying that BMW chooses this to stay on like this - I've owned a lot of cars over the years and never has one of them kept the radio and dash on for 10 minutes after opening and closing a door. I guess I will just have to get used to it.

Something isn’t right there.
When green, it should switch off when you power down (press the engine start stop button) and open the door to exit the vehicle.

If you get in the car and the engine isn’t running, battery management will dictate how long the system is on.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 07:49 AM   #7
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Something isn’t right there.
When green, it should switch off when you power down (press the engine start stop button) and open the door to exit the vehicle.
It definitely is not doing that - no matter what that switch is set to.

I may get the dealer to look at it; However, this may mean an overnight stay at my dealer so I won't get this done for a number of months.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 07:55 AM   #8
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If my seat starts going crazy next I will know that Christine is no longer a Plymouth.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 07:22 AM   #9
Elmercc
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

This is, by far, the most annoying thing in this car. Like, you go out and grab something quickly out of your car and shut the door, and suddenly the radio and everything comes on and mine also stays on for an indeterminate amount of time. I live in a condo, and try to be respectful of noise foey neighbors. So I always have to go back into the car and manually turn off the entertainment system. Drives me nuts.
Appreciate 0