BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Apple Cay Play Navigation ?

10-16-2023, 10:12 AM   #1
jjklongisland
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7M50i

Apple Cay Play Navigation ?

I have my 2020 X7M50i getting serviced and they gave me a 2023 M550i as a loaner. I noticed that on this car when I use my apple car play navigation the turn by turn comes up on the heads up display and in the center of the instrument cluster. My 2020 only shows up on the main center display. When I use my factory nav it comes up an all 3 but not when I use car play. Is there a setting that I am missing for carplay or can it be just because the sedan is newer. Since its at the dealer should I see if they can update the firmware?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

It's an Apple Maps feature that is fully integrated in the BMW iDrive OS. It wasn't available in the first version of the X7 (yours) but is in the updated LCI version (the loaner). Something for you to look forward to when your lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #3
jabbarjd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 xDrive50i

Garage List
I have a 2019 X7 50i on 07/2022 software. I could be wrong, but I think it is a software update that allows Apple Maps to show the next turn in the HUD and instrument cluster, but no map. The fact that the map does not show in the instrument cluster is the main reason that I don't use Apple Maps and use the factory nav for the most part. It might be worth it to ask your dealer to check the software and update it. Keep in mind that if they do it, and you have any coding using Bimmercode, it will be erased if they update it past the 03/2023 version.

2019 BMW x7 xDrive50i in Phytonic Blue on Black -- 22" 756 Wheels
2015 BMW x5 xDrive35i in Mineral White on Canberra Beige - (sold)
2013 BMW 535i M Sport in Titanium Silver on Black - (sold)
1999 BMW z3 2.3 in Space Gray on Black - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 02:27 PM   #4
sotti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbarjd View Post
I have a 2019 X7 50i on 07/2022 software. I could be wrong, but I think it is a software update that allows Apple Maps to show the next turn in the HUD and instrument cluster, but no map. The fact that the map does not show in the instrument cluster is the main reason that I don't use Apple Maps and use the factory nav for the most part. It might be worth it to ask your dealer to check the software and update it. Keep in mind that if they do it, and you have any coding using Bimmercode, it will be erased if they update it past the 03/2023 version.
I don't think this is a firmware/patch level thing.

I think this is an iDrive v7 versus iDrive v8 issue. The LCI has v8, which supports this. Pre-LCI is v7 and at best can do the turn updates, but not the map.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 03:23 PM   #5
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
OP - I have a 2021 X7 M50i running iDrive 7, version 03/2023.50. When I use Apple Maps, I see the full navigation on the large main screen, and I see an arrow for the next turn, street name and distance to next turn in BOTH the heads up display and the center of the driver instrument cluster. See picture below which I snapped while stopped at a traffic light - it shows the large main screen (full navigation full) and the center of the instrument cluster. The same "left arrow, Mills St, 50ft" information showing in the center of the instrument cluster was also showing in the heads up display (but was not captured in the photo, I guess my iphone can't pickup the heads up display image).
Attached Images

Last edited by lloyd99; 10-16-2023 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2023, 11:15 AM   #6
AAB4
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I have a 2020 X7 M50i and when using car play turn by turn directions show up in my heads up display. Not when using Waze though.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:33 PM   #7
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It has to do with Apple API. Native apps, such as Apple Maps have full access to API and therefore they can take full advantage of CarPlay and access the HUD. 3rd party applications do not have this kind of access, that's why you can display Waze on your NAV screen, but you do not get turn by turn on your cluster or HUD.

I don't recall the iD7 firmware version when Apple Maps started showing info in the cluster and HUD, but I believe it was one of 2021 versions, and it will only show turn by turn directions in the HUD when you set a destination.

Last edited by gsobol; 10-17-2023 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 09:05 AM   #8
jjklongisland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
OP - I have a 2021 X7 M50i running iDrive 7, version 03/2023.50. When I use Apple Maps, I see the full navigation on the large main screen, and I see an arrow for the next turn, street name and distance to next turn in BOTH the heads up display and the center of the driver instrument cluster. See picture below which I snapped while stopped at a traffic light - it shows the large main screen (full navigation full) and the center of the instrument cluster. The same "left arrow, Mills St, 50ft" information showing in the center of the instrument cluster was also showing in the heads up display (but was not captured in the photo, I guess my iphone can't pickup the heads up display image).
Thank you all for your replies. Lloyd, this is exactly what I am looking for. Just the arrows etc. It most cases I use my carplay for nav because its typically a location i received from a text message or when searching the web so its just easier than navigating through the factory nav and just more convenient.

I did ask my service advisor and he said this came up once before from another customer and he said it is a hardware issue, not a software issue. He said an update wouldnt make it work. I do not necessarily believe him him because service writers are just as honest as lawyers.

Is updating the firmware a hard thing for them to do? Is it something I can do? Do they charge to update it? My X7 is still at the dealer getting serviced and now would be the time. I also miss my truck. This loaner has made me appreciate the X7 so much more. Yes its fast and handles great but for me I find it uncomfortable and not as luxury. The rear seats are non existent with adults sitting in the front and I miss my bowers and wilkins.

thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 10:22 AM   #9
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjklongisland View Post
Thank you all for your replies. Lloyd, this is exactly what I am looking for. Just the arrows etc. It most cases I use my carplay for nav because its typically a location i received from a text message or when searching the web so its just easier than navigating through the factory nav and just more convenient.

I did ask my service advisor and he said this came up once before from another customer and he said it is a hardware issue, not a software issue. He said an update wouldnt make it work. I do not necessarily believe him him because service writers are just as honest as lawyers.

Is updating the firmware a hard thing for them to do? Is it something I can do? Do they charge to update it? My X7 is still at the dealer getting serviced and now would be the time. I also miss my truck. This loaner has made me appreciate the X7 so much more. Yes its fast and handles great but for me I find it uncomfortable and not as luxury. The rear seats are non existent with adults sitting in the front and I miss my bowers and wilkins.

thanks guys
You should never be using BMW maps as it is awful.

You should be 1) using CarPlay for navigation all the time, and 2) you should use Google Maps in CarPlay for that navigation, especially in the NYC area.

Google Maps in CarPlay gives you excellent turn by turn directions (with arrows always visible), tells you which lane to be in while approaching a turn, and very importantly is the only navigation that can tell you the impact to your trip if you take an alternate route on the map itself with no need to tap buttons or look at different screens.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 01:29 PM   #10
jjklongisland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
You should never be using BMW maps as it is awful.

You should be 1) using CarPlay for navigation all the time, and 2) you should use Google Maps in CarPlay for that navigation, especially in the NYC area.

Google Maps in CarPlay gives you excellent turn by turn directions (with arrows always visible), tells you which lane to be in while approaching a turn, and very importantly is the only navigation that can tell you the impact to your trip if you take an alternate route on the map itself with no need to tap buttons or look at different screens.
Great advice. Will make the switch. I guess will have to set it as my default on my phone.

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 03:46 PM   #11
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great advice. Will make the switch. I guess will have to set it as my default on my phone.

thanks again

It doesn't need to be the default on your phone. Understand that CarPlay is just a mirror image of your iPhone, any app on your iPhone that has a CarPlay version on it automatically shows up in CarPlay.

When you bring up CarPlay hit the icon on the lower left bottom corner with the 8 little dots on it, that's your app menu, and tap Google Maps right there. You're going to be much happier this way.

Last edited by toddwalton; 10-18-2023 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 03:32 PM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

thanks again

So here's what Google Maps looks like in CarPlay and it's got some advantages over BMW Maps (and Waze and Apple Maps in some instances) in the following ways:

1. Arrow Display: They are always on and in the same position at all times.

2. Lane Guidance: Directly under the turn arrows the display tells you exactly which lane you must be in to make the next turn.

3. Live Alternate Routing: This is the big one, as you drive and as you cross over major roadways, a small speech bubble appears telling you at a glance what the win/penalty will be to go a different route. You see the popup, you see the grey line, and make a choice without having to swipe screens or hit any buttons.

4. Same Data and Routing as Waze: Google owns Waze and both maps use identical realtime data and routing logic. Waze has the speed trap feature (which I too run in the background) but only Google has the live routing with the speech bubbles.

5. Always-Dark Mode: A big win for those of us who like the black background at all times and don't want bright white maps during daytime. BMW Maps and Apple Maps don't offer this.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 05:16 PM   #13
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

It doesn't need to be the default on your phone. Understand that CarPlay is just a mirror image of your iPhone, any app on your iPhone that has a CarPlay version on it automatically shows up in CarPlay.

When you bring up CarPlay hit the icon on the lower left bottom corner with the 8 little dots on it, that's your app menu, and tap Google Maps right there. You're going to be much happier this way.
toddwalton Thanks for sharing this. I tried it today, using my iPhone 13 Max in my 2021 X7 M50i. I was able to get Google Maps to connect successfully. I saw the full navigation on the main large center display. But there was no turn information (arrows, street name, distance) in the center of my driver console display or in my heads up display. Both are displayed there when I use Apple Maps. Is there anything special I need to do to get the turn information to show up in the center of my driver console display and in my heads up display?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:26 PM   #14
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
toddwalton Thanks for sharing this. I tried it today, using my iPhone 13 Max in my 2021 X7 M50i. I was able to get Google Maps to connect successfully. I saw the full navigation on the main large center display. But there was no turn information (arrows, street name, distance) in the center of my driver console display or in my heads up display. Both are displayed there when I use Apple Maps. Is there anything special I need to do to get the turn information to show up in the center of my driver console display and in my heads up display?
Only Apple Maps and BMW navigation works in your center display and your head up display. What I am advising you is to disregard them, use Google Maps, and use the large nav screen only for your information.

Because, ultimately, what matters is the quality of the information, not the location that information is displayed. Google Maps in CarPlay is far better than Apple or BMW in the gauges or head up display.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 12:40 AM   #15
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Picked up a 2020 X7 M50i about a year ago. It did not show any directions from Apple Maps Carplay in the HUD.

A few months later we were having serious issues with the remote functions on the car and the dealer offered to update the car to the latest iDrive 7 version to try to fix the issues.

The update seemed to fix our remote function issues (lock/unlock, climate, etc.) but also brought us the new feature of showing nav directions from Apple Maps only in the HUD.

If you get updated to the latest iDrive software in your car, you will gain this feature.
      02-04-2024, 03:42 PM   #16
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
Anyone solve this?

I have a 2019 m50i and would love to have the HUD show my apple google maps. Sounds like only apple map shows up?

It is a pain to uses the BMW map search function.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 08:08 PM   #17
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post
Anyone solve this?

I have a 2019 m50i and would love to have the HUD show my apple google maps. Sounds like only apple map shows up?

It is a pain to uses the BMW map search function.
This isn't only a BMW thing. My other cars only display full information via Apple Maps - if through CarPlay. Conversely, Android Auto displays full information via Google Maps (which makes sense).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:29 AM   #18
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This has been discussed. How Apple displays HUD info is handled by Apple API, which is not exposed to any other navigation app. It's the Apple that's blocking it, not your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 01:00 PM   #19
omnid00d
Private
United_States
Rep

AFAIK, only apple Maps directions show up on HUD. When I try google maps, it puts the very first direction and it seems to be frozen there so after like 15mins of driving, I still see the 1st direction from google maps displayed. When I have both google maps and apple maps navigating concurrently, HUD is stuck on Google maps, on the 1st direction. In that case, just look at the infotainment screen. Something's up with google maps integration on my X7.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 07:29 AM   #20
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnid00d View Post
AFAIK, only apple Maps directions show up on HUD. When I try google maps, it puts the very first direction and it seems to be frozen there so after like 15mins of driving, I still see the 1st direction from google maps displayed. When I have both google maps and apple maps navigating concurrently, HUD is stuck on Google maps, on the 1st direction. In that case, just look at the infotainment screen. Something's up with google maps integration on my X7.
There is no Google Maps integration on your X7. What you think you are seeing on your HUD isn't Google Maps but Apple Maps or BMW Maps.
Appreciate 0