Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

10-25-2023, 05:52 PM   #1
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

M perf Suspension at port

I’ve got a build in the hopper and have the performance suspension added. The shop Ive been talking to about some mods had said they think there are better options available (both cost and performance wise) - either the KW or a coil over system. I do trust them and I’m sure that is accurate.

However, I had chosen the port option mainly for the warranty benefits - am I over thinking the benefits of that?

This is a street only car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr955 View Post
I’ve got a build in the hopper and have the performance suspension added. The shop Ive been talking to about some mods had said they think there are better options available (both cost and performance wise) - either the KW or a coil over system. I do trust them and I’m sure that is accurate.

However, I had chosen the port option mainly for the warranty benefits - am I over thinking the benefits of that?

What’s the price difference? No dealers really give any information on port installer options or cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:54 PM   #3
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

With OEM you get peace of mind that the warranty will be intact. Yes, there are other springs/spacers/etc. out there, but, I'd keep the MPHAS for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:59 PM   #4
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=snyder268;30599765]What’s the price difference? No dealers really give any information on port installer options or cost.

M perf suspension is 2800 on my build which is the parts and installation.
Appreciate 1
snyder268152.50
      10-26-2023, 02:28 AM   #5
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Coilover sure, this is usually the best solution performance wise. But I wonder what is better about the KW HAS kit than the MP HAS kit. It's probably even the same product or at least very similar (since KW produces the MP HAS kit). But KW probably costs less (especially because the installation of the MP is more expensive since it should be done at an official BMW partner) and the range of lowering is slightly larger. But purely in terms of quality and performance, the MP HAS kit shouldn't be any worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:06 AM   #6
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:

There will be aftermarket options that are better. No doubt and always the case. But warranty benefits and OEM has its own charm. Stick with port option. Now stop over thinking.

Here's a SMB on M3 with MPHAS (port installed):
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2007547
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 09:08 AM   #7
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
There will be aftermarket options that are better. No doubt and always the case. But warranty benefits and OEM has its own charm. Stick with port option. Now stop over thinking.

Here's a SMB on M3 with MPHAS (port installed):
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2007547
That does look good. Hard to tell if more drop is really better or not without seeing it in person I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:27 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art__Vandelay View Post
Coilover sure, this is usually the best solution performance wise. But I wonder what is better about the KW HAS kit than the MP HAS kit. It's probably even the same product or at least very similar (since KW produces the MP HAS kit). But KW probably costs less (especially because the installation of the MP is more expensive since it should be done at an official BMW partner) and the range of lowering is slightly larger. But purely in terms of quality and performance, the MP HAS kit shouldn't be any worse.
You nailed it. The KW HAS kit IS te MP HAS kit with more adjustment. I'm sure BMW has them limit the range to protect the shocks. If you're concerned about warranty, stick with the MP. Or if you do want to do something cheaper, a set of springs with a mild drop will also accomplish the same. I'm putting on the front only Eibachs which drops it just enough to not look like an off roader. Cheap and shouldn't lead to any long term issues.
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2023, 05:50 PM   #9
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

I have my G80 on order and added the port installed M HAS - $2820. A few things led me to the decision.

* port installed options are listed on window sticker - good for resale.
* price is baked in my financing
* warranty
* after market suspensions may be better and cheaper, but some buyer may be tured off at time of resale
* M HAS is not too low (good or bad) and fine for daily driving and some track.
natmad674.50
harperium1323.50