BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

10-26-2023, 05:53 PM   #1
Gen_dustis
Registered
Rep
Drives: i5

Anyone else having crazy issues with iDrive 8.5?

Picked up my new i5 today and immediately ran into issues where it wouldn't connect to anything. Wireless CarPlay wouldn't work, I couldn't set up the digital key, and now it's not even letting me choose my ID because "there's no mobile reception".

It's an incredibly frustrating entry to this car, especially because it's so fun to drive.

Anyone else experiencing this craziness?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 06:56 PM   #2
cpt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW i5 M60

Must be incredibly frustrating getting these issues on a new car. Hopefully it's just a faulty head unit which can be easily replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #3
Mrcook23
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW I5 M60

I got everything working but YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 02:39 AM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Certified but not verified and tested Android
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 01:06 PM   #5
Sequence001
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 & 2024 i5

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_dustis View Post
Picked up my new i5 today and immediately ran into issues where it wouldn't connect to anything. Wireless CarPlay wouldn't work, I couldn't set up the digital key, and now it's not even letting me choose my ID because "there's no mobile reception".

It's an incredibly frustrating entry to this car, especially because it's so fun to drive.

Anyone else experiencing this craziness?
I’ve noticed once every 3 commutes or so, Carplay stops showing up in the HUD. But it’ll work on the iDrive display fine. Nothing you do changes it except to turn off the car, get out and lock it and then get back in and start up again. I’m Sure it’s just an early release bug that happens temporarily. They’ll fix it in an update.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 05:52 AM   #6
Gen_dustis
Registered
Rep

Weird turn of events, pulled into the bmw service center yesterday and all of a sudden the car updated with new apps and sent the digital key email. Don’t know if there was some weird 24 hour hold or what.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 04:40 PM   #7
andykitty
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcook23 View Post
I got everything working but YouTube.
Does your i5 have YouTube app?
I couldn’t find the YouTube app in my car
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 06:14 PM   #8
Solutionator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Picked up my i5 M60 yesterday. Everything that could go wrong with getting iDrive setup went wrong. No mobile reception, no ID, etc. The BMW geniuses were trying hard, but ultimately couldn’t get CarPlay to work or get Electrify America associated to the car. Their final answer was that this is a new vehicle and there might be a software update coming - check back next week…

Played around with the vehicle all day getting other things setup and modified. Went out this evening and CarPlay magically worked. I think that everything is now operational.

And yes, this vehicle is a BLAST to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 06:16 PM   #9
Gen_dustis
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutionator View Post
Picked up my i5 M60 yesterday. Everything that could go wrong with getting iDrive setup went wrong. No mobile reception, no ID, etc. The BMW geniuses were trying hard, but ultimately couldn’t get CarPlay to work or get Electrify America associated to the car. Their final answer was that this is a new vehicle and there might be a software update coming - check back next week…

Played around with the vehicle all day getting other things setup and modified. Went out this evening and CarPlay magically worked. I think that everything is now operational.

And yes, this vehicle is a BLAST to drive.
Lol sounds like we had the same issue. I’m guessing there’s a weird 24 hour hold on it for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:17 AM   #10
Mrcook23
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW I5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykitty View Post
Does your i5 have YouTube app?
I couldn’t find the YouTube app in my car
Yes it does have youtube.. But you have to get the Esim to work before you can use it. I spoke to BMW department that supposed to handle this and they said they will open a ticket on it for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:09 PM   #11
Golfn
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcook23 View Post
Yes it does have youtube.. But you have to get the Esim to work before you can use it. I spoke to BMW department that supposed to handle this and they said they will open a ticket on it for me.
Does YouTube app within iDrive 8.5 fill the full screen by default or can you tap full screen for better viewing experience for all parties in the car?

Is YoutubeTV accessible through the YouTube hamburger button/settings within the YouTube app? Could see this being useful for college sports on weekends while parked in certain areas.
Appreciate 0