BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2023, 09:29 AM   #1
Chai Five
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp Coupe

The "Drive" X6 v X5

Hi folks! Happy holiday season to all! Im 55, I coming from a vette because my knees cant take the low entry and exit from sports cars anymore. Im addicted to performance and want to keep that aspect of my driving experience. Im contemplating the m50/60 in either a 23 or 24 model. However I have driven both and it seems the X6 M50 drove nicer than the X5 M50. Am I wrong? The X6 drove and felt smoother, quieter and just overall better. Did I just get bad X5 with tire noise and bad body roll? I cant seem to find a thread discussing this so I wanted to see if there was any feedback from our members. Thanks in advance for any X5 v X6 compare and contrast comments. Stay Healthy All!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 10:05 AM   #2
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

I am recently into an X6 M60i from an X5 M50i. The LCI X6 M60i is a pearl with a more refined and powerfull feel which is abundantly clear when going directly from the older to the current LCI model. Anyone who has made the upgrade is well aware of this fact.
The S68 "M" engine is a dream and gets an even greater bump from the 147 lb ft of torque that the mild hybrid system provides. The M60i handles surprisingly well for a heavy vehicle and has fabulous straightline capability with 0-60 in the 3s, even the far heavier X7 M60i has been shown to do this sprint in 3.8 seconds.
You can't go wrong with the M60i.

Last edited by cobramite; 11-11-2023 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 3
LDT1620.50
barbE120.50
      11-11-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The rear-wheel steering can help. I'm not familiar with all of the options, but the active rollbars should help as well. Some of these options may not be available to all versions. If one you drove had RFT versus the summer performance tires, the ride and sounds would be different, and I think on that model, you may be able to option the acoustic glass that can help some.

To get a fair comparison, you'd need to try to ensure they had the same options to decide which you prefer as that can change the character of the vehicle. The RFT tend to be a little louder but it depends on what ones are actually on the vehicle and what size wheels you have.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. For example both test cars should have or not have 2-axle air susp or Adaptive M Suspension and similar other options. If you need cargo space the X5 will offer more space than the X6. For me the visual appeal of the coupe is not my cup of tea so I went with the X5 M60i. I test drove the '23 M50i and it's exhaust note was noticeably more robust than the '24 M60i. However the S68 engine in the '24 is a beast albeit a stealthy beast.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2023, 10:52 AM   #5
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

One thing I noticed between my X5 M50i, a standard X6 40i and X5 40i is that the standard X6 seemed to have sportier driving dynamics, with immediate steering response and felt lighter than it is. I didn't get a chance to drive a X6 M50i/60i, but I imagine it's a few steps ahead of my X5 M50i in overall driving dynamics. After having the X6 as a loaner for a week, I kind of wished I would have purchased it instead or possibly the M5. I do appreciate the additional cargo area height in the X5.

The 22" Continentals allow a good amount of road noise at highway speeds, so going with the 20s might yield less noise.
Appreciate 2
barbE120.50
      11-11-2023, 10:58 AM   #6
barbE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6M60i, 2024 M440ix G.C.

I feel for you, as I wanted something that wasn’t a passenger car and not a regular SUV, but wanted something comparable height-wise of an SUV. The X6 is exactly that. A Sport Activity Coupe. I drove an X5 M60i since they didn’t have an X6 M60i on the lot. That X5 was such fun and enjoyable to drive. If you need the cargo height in the rear, you would need to go with the X5. But I love the drive and looks of my X6 M60i.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2023, 11:05 AM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

In 2011, I bought the 5-series GT because of the increased ride height...it was between the sedan and the SAV. Kept that for a number of years before I switched to the X5, which sits higher and has more room for my recumbent trike to fit in the rear. I don't think the X6 with the sloping roof would hold it without taking the wheels off, which is possible, but a pain, especially with hydraulic brakes on the trike...mash the lever accidentally and you'd have to rebuild the pistons if you forgot to put in the spacer to prevent that...

I sat in an i7 (the sports car, not the new sedan), and that was a pain to get out of as you sat below the door opening! One of the hassles of getting older, your reasonable choices start to diminish.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 11:52 AM   #8
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi, Bmw, Porsche

I agree with much of what is already highlighted here. I rented several 40is' BUT ended up purchasing the 50i ... bc 'V8'.

I had an extended drive in an X6 xdrive40i and dare to say after spending several months in my 50i I actually prefer the drive and feel of the 40i better. It feels lighter on it's feet. It creates less road noise due to less weight on the tires. It feels 'more' like a sports car. The V8 is a heavy heavy pig to me that's heavy and lazy to do anything and everything ( I dont have DHP on mine). Even though it has more power vs the 6 ... you feel it's weight every time off a light that's for sure.

In your comparison you do need to compare apples to apples with same size wheels + tires, suspension setup etc as all those changes can create a drastically different ride experience.

The torque, hp and noise are def great in the V8 ... but next time around I might of picked a different choice!

Good luck on your choice and all depends on what you value most!
Appreciate 4
      11-11-2023, 02:19 PM   #9
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

If I were to make a guess, when hardware packages are the same, it come down to 150lb difference on rear axial. 150lb may not sound a lot, if if you look at M4C vs CSL, maybe about 150lb difference, you will see how difficult and how extensive bmw has to go to reduce 150lb, and how much the cost is. Every other aspect is performance mod is easy compare to weight reduction. And it is one area to improve handling without drawback.
      11-12-2023, 08:22 AM   #10
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro1 View Post
I agree with much of what is already highlighted here. I rented several 40is' BUT ended up purchasing the 50i ... bc 'V8'.

I had an extended drive in an X6 xdrive40i and dare to say after spending several months in my 50i I actually prefer the drive and feel of the 40i better. It feels lighter on it's feet. It creates less road noise due to less weight on the tires. It feels 'more' like a sports car. The V8 is a heavy heavy pig to me that's heavy and lazy to do anything and everything ( I dont have DHP on mine). Even though it has more power vs the 6 ... you feel it's weight every time off a light that's for sure.

In your comparison you do need to compare apples to apples with same size wheels + tires, suspension setup etc as all those changes can create a drastically different ride experience.

The torque, hp and noise are def great in the V8 ... but next time around I might of picked a different choice!

Good luck on your choice and all depends on what you value most!
I have a 2023 X5 xDrive 40i xLine and added the adaptive M suspension download from Connected Drive. It drives and handles like a sports car !!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #11
Chai Five
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
I have a 2023 X5 xDrive 40i xLine and added the adaptive M suspension download from Connected Drive. It drives and handles like a sports car !!
Wow. Can anyone with a non M X5 or X6 just download the settings for the M suspension?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 09:24 AM   #12
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai Five View Post
Wow. Can anyone with a non M X5 or X6 just download the settings for the M suspension?
No. M Adaptive is just a different program for the electronic dampeners.

Still won’t have active roll stabilization equipment and other m specific components like springs, etc
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 09:56 AM   #13
DontGetPassedOnTheRight
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

The difference you felt could easily have been down to the tires. Size, decent tires at proper inflation vs over-inflated garbage (run-flats), etc.

You can't hide the roughly 5,000 pounds these vehicles are, though. Even 200 pounds over the front axle makes a difference comparing a 330i to M340i. The V8 option for X5/X6 adds 350 pounds. It's great for what it is, but it's not a sports car.

If you really want a sharp-handling SUV, look at a Stelvio (higher trims) which you may find too unrefined or a Macan (higher trims) which may be too small.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #14
f34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 m60i

I just came out of 2021 x5 m50 into a 2024 x5 m60. Both optioned with DHP and the 747m 22" rims.

I adored my X5, and I definitely feel the handling is even better in the X6. Engine is smoother and more refined and if possible it's faster off the line.

I'm not while about the dynamics of the mild hybrid system - engine shuts down often when coasting to a stop, and on startup it has lost the throaty growl that used to turn heads. But barring that, the engine and general handling dynamics are noticeably better, and the specifics of the X6 setup are noticeably "sportier" than the X5 with the same options.

Also, idrive 8.5 is a huge step forward from idrive 7. I'm quite satisfied.
Appreciate 1
cobramite1229.00
      11-12-2023, 02:58 PM   #15
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f34 View Post
I just came out of 2021 x5 m50 into a 2024 x5 m60. Both optioned with DHP and the 747m 22" rims.

I adored my X5, and I definitely feel the handling is even better in the X6. Engine is smoother and more refined and if possible it's faster off the line.

I'm not while about the dynamics of the mild hybrid system - engine shuts down often when coasting to a stop, and on startup it has lost the throaty growl that used to turn heads. But barring that, the engine and general handling dynamics are noticeably better, and the specifics of the X6 setup are noticeably "sportier" than the X5 with the same options.

Also, idrive 8.5 is a huge step forward from idrive 7. I'm quite satisfied.
The LCI is a noticeable step up on many different levels.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 05:43 PM   #16
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

We just went from a '22 X5 to a '23 X6 last month and my M5 is at the dealer right now and I have a '23 X5 loaner so I have had a lot of recent experience with this.

To me the X6 does drive much more like a car than the X5. A lot of that may come from the fact that the roof line is much lower than the X5.

Our '22 X5 had 45k miles on it so hard to compare that X5 and X6 but the X5 loaner only has 12k miles on it so it is a pretty close comparison.

To me the X6 seems to be more responsive in terms of acceleration and steering response as well which is strange since that in theory it should be similar to the X5.

In terms of road noise I would say that are equal and the tires play a BIG part in that. Unfortunately our X6 came with Hanooks and those tires have a really bad drone above 50 mph.

Over the years I have had a number of sports cars including 5 Corvettes (C1, C6, C7, C8) and had a sport SUV before, Jeep SRT. The biggest issue I find with the sport SUV/SAC is going to be the high center of gravity and weight.

If you haven't already you may want to look at the M5. For me it is the best balance of luxury and performance I have run into. The M5 is also AWD and has a lot of room in it. The M5 is so nice I found myself never driving my C8 HTC and wound up selling it.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 05:51 PM   #17
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post
We just went from a '22 X5 to a '23 X6 last month and my M5 is at the dealer right now and I have a '23 X5 loaner so I have had a lot of recent experience with this.

To me the X6 does drive much more like a car than the X5. A lot of that may come from the fact that the roof line is much lower than the X5.

Our '22 X5 had 45k miles on it so hard to compare that X5 and X6 but the X5 loaner only has 12k miles on it so it is a pretty close comparison.

To me the X6 seems to be more responsive in terms of acceleration and steering response as well which is strange since that in theory it should be similar to the X5.

In terms of road noise I would say that are equal and the tires play a BIG part in that. Unfortunately our X6 came with Hanooks and those tires have a really bad drone above 50 mph.

Over the years I have had a number of sports cars including 5 Corvettes (C1, C6, C7, C8) and had a sport SUV before, Jeep SRT. The biggest issue I find with the sport SUV/SAC is going to be the high center of gravity and weight.

If you haven't already you may want to look at the M5. For me it is the best balance of luxury and performance I have run into. The M5 is also AWD and has a lot of room in it. The M5 is so nice I found myself never driving my C8 HTC and wound up selling it.
An M5 is an absolutely awesome vehicle. There is really not much out there that compares. The M5 pretty much does it all. Friend of mine has had a few of them and they are a ball to drive but you can get over your head in heart beat.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:08 PM   #18
Chai Five
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
An M5 is an absolutely awesome vehicle. There is really not much out there that compares. The M5 pretty much does it all. Friend of mine has had a few of them and they are a ball to drive but you can get over your head in heart beat.
Im moving to the high center of gravity SAV style because I enjoy that change from the vette and the M8. I really dont want that sedan style car nor the sports car anymore. Ill take the high center of gravity and be more than ok with the performance the X6 or X5 M's will provide. Im really just trying to decide between those two.

It seems based on the past couple days all you nice folks seem to be leaning the X6 for a more car like feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 12:05 AM   #19
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai Five View Post
Im moving to the high center of gravity SAV style because I enjoy that change from the vette and the M8. I really dont want that sedan style car nor the sports car anymore. Ill take the high center of gravity and be more than ok with the performance the X6 or X5 M's will provide. Im really just trying to decide between those two.

It seems based on the past couple days all you nice folks seem to be leaning the X6 for a more car like feel.
Makes sense, in that case I would say the X6. It would drive closer to what you would like and it looks sportier IMO.

Note that it is harder to get in and out of the rear seats of the X6 as well (just in case you are relegated to the rear) but no where near as hard as getting in and out of the Vette.
Appreciate 1