BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2024 X7 Parking assistant scratched bumper and another car

11-11-2023, 08:16 PM   #1
pengfeiw
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7

2024 X7 Parking assistant scratched bumper and another car

Picked up the car about 3wks ago with parking assistant package and was amazed by the nice parking assistant YouTube videos. Was using the ‘leave garage’ function to leave the garage for a few times without issues.

Last Wednesday when I use it to leave the garage, after I release the brake the car started to back up slowly, and I was looking at the LED screen with view of rear camera view as well as surrounding view with the colors showing the distance to other objects. The car then silently hit my another car in the garage without throwing any warnings, and it didn’t stop but sped up and scratched through the other car, leaving extremely obvious damage on the front bumper of X7 as well as rear bumper of the other car.

I was shocked to see this happened and contacted BMW NA right away. And the executive customer care told me to take the car to dealership for ‘special product inspection’. Dropped off last Friday and heard I was the second car with such inspections that day. And after 3 business days without response I emailed for updates. Then after a few calls not answered, today they finally told me everything inspected was normal and BMW doesn’t assume any responsibility for this case, and driver needs to take control whenever needed, with a strong attitude.

This seems quite absurd that they offer a remote parking function where driver can stand outside the car and let it get outside of parking lot - how do driver interfere when the sensor clearly didn’t recognize the other objects? Not to mention that even when I was in the car, the screen didn’t show any warnings and the surrounding view didn’t change color to show that obstacles are close, and more importantly it didn’t stop after touching the other car but sped up without giving driver enough time to react.

I would probably tell all my friends and colleagues to stay away from parking assistant at least, and maybe BMW as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 08:51 PM   #2
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

wait, you sat there and watched it back into the first car, then sat back and let it drive forward into the other car? at no point did you say enough and take over control?
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 2
      11-11-2023, 10:53 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

BMW shows the feature working in a commercial but then says they are not responsible if it doesn’t work as intended. .
Here is the issue with being overly confident with these fringe features abilities that the manufacturer won’t take any responsibility for. This is why new tech is not always better just because it’s “new” and why the race to drive completely hands free at 70mph will go very bad in a world that can be too unpredictable for tech to be smart enough.

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-11-2023 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2023, 07:44 AM   #4
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengfeiw View Post
Picked up the car about 3wks ago with parking assistant package and was amazed by the nice parking assistant YouTube videos. Was using the ‘leave garage’ function to leave the garage for a few times without issues.

Last Wednesday when I use it to leave the garage, after I release the brake the car started to back up slowly, and I was looking at the LED screen with view of rear camera view as well as surrounding view with the colors showing the distance to other objects. The car then silently hit my another car in the garage without throwing any warnings, and it didn’t stop but sped up and scratched through the other car, leaving extremely obvious damage on the front bumper of X7 as well as rear bumper of the other car.

I was shocked to see this happened and contacted BMW NA right away. And the executive customer care told me to take the car to dealership for ‘special product inspection’. Dropped off last Friday and heard I was the second car with such inspections that day. And after 3 business days without response I emailed for updates. Then after a few calls not answered, today they finally told me everything inspected was normal and BMW doesn’t assume any responsibility for this case, and driver needs to take control whenever needed, with a strong attitude.

This seems quite absurd that they offer a remote parking function where driver can stand outside the car and let it get outside of parking lot - how do driver interfere when the sensor clearly didn’t recognize the other objects? Not to mention that even when I was in the car, the screen didn’t show any [...]
you just created your account and this is your first post.
Do you have pics/vids/anything to show us what happened?
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2023, 08:12 AM   #5
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

First, you are lucky it was just bumpers. That is all plastic and easy to fix. If it was a real crash that had to replace doors or other panels I would be pissed. Now, it seems to me you were very naive in letting the system take control and not doing anything to avoid the collision. I simply do not trust this systems so will never use it. But that is just me. I have a tight garage with 3 cars on it so will never let the car do it by itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 10:24 AM   #6
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
much like keyser soze, likely we will never hear from the OP again.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 01:02 PM   #7
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengfeiw View Post

This seems quite absurd that they offer a remote parking function where driver can stand outside the car and let it get outside of parking lot - how do driver interfere when the sensor clearly didn’t recognize the other objects? Not to mention that even when I was in the car, the screen didn’t show any [...]
It could have been a pet dog, a child, which is a very scary thought. This is why I do not use this type of feature in cars. I don’t care if it’s 99% effective.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 01:15 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVLustMaster View Post
It could have been a pet dog, a child, which is a very scary thought. This is why I do not use this type of feature in cars. I don’t care if it’s 99% effective.
Like having a smoke alarm or parachute that works 98% of the time. The tech toys are fun toys to play with but I never incorporate them into my real world driving requirements. Call it pride or arrogance, but I want to prove my skills can park better and faster than the tech.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 02:27 PM   #9
pengfeiw
Rep

Quote:
I have pics with the damaged bumpers, not with my laptop now. Will post later. Unfortunately I didn’t know I can turn on drive recording so I don’t have vids.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #10
pengfeiw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
wait, you sat there and watched it back into the first car, then sat back and let it drive forward into the other car? at no point did you say enough and take over control?
No I didn’t let it drive forward. I watched it back and looking at the LED screen with the sensor view. The car silently hit into the other car’s rear bumper with its front bumper without giving any warnings, and the sensor distance view on the screen didn’t show any red as well, so I didn’t realize it hit until it sped up and scratch through the other car to completely get out of the garage. I then stopped the car and get down to take a look.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 02:54 PM   #11
pengfeiw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast335i View Post
Name:  bmw_scratch.png
Views: 274
Size:  1.65 MB

Name:  other_car_scratch.png
Views: 275
Size:  1.89 MB
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 03:44 PM   #12
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Interesting, I’m surprised the parking sensors didn’t stop the car as it’s supposed when an object is in the way.
Maybe you thought you enabled the self driving function but in actuality you had just put the car in reverse and let off the brake. Which might explain why the vehicle just kept going after hitting the objects.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 03:53 PM   #13
pengfeiw
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I’m surprised the parking sensors didn’t stop the car as it’s supposed when an object is in the way.
Maybe you thought you enabled the self driving function but in actuality you had just put the car in reverse and let off the brake. Which might explain why the vehicle just kept going after hitting the objects.
I’m pretty sure I used the parking assistant as it needs me to click on the LED screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 04:00 PM   #14
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This was a huge issue with the G05 when introduced in 2019. There was no auto brake when the parking sensors got to any point. We had a long thread on this with multiple test. We would set up mattresses, boxes even small tents and back up into them without the vehicle applying any auto brake. He was almost unbelievable a modern BMW didn’t have auto brake capability when parking.
I was furious as all my American vehicles have done this for years. You could easily back into your kids bike, run over your dog without the system auto braking, even though it’s sensors saw the object was less than 12 inches away. The user manual showed the feature but it didn’t work with any G05. Even my sales associate and service manager tried testing the system as I backed up and X5 continued to hit them at slow speeds.

My 2020 G07 X7M50i does apply a auto brake and I made sure it worked before I purchased it.

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-12-2023 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0