BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Anybody install an aftermarket stereo system in their X7?

11-19-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

Anybody install an aftermarket stereo system in their X7?

My cars always go through their right of passage with an aftermarket stereo (done this since I was in high school ). Has anybody else had an install done?

I haven’t done anything to my X7 yet (HK system), I’ll probably have my shop move over what I can from my X3 since I’m in love with the Morels - they sound absolutely astonishing:
  • Morel Hybrid Ovation II Component Speakers in front
  • Morel 5” under-seat (looks like this may not fit the HK?)
  • Audiotec-Fischer Helix DSP V8 MKII
  • 2x 13” JL Audio TW5 Subwoofers in a custom box hidden in the spare tire compartment
  • Kenwood Excelon 1000 watt monoblock (for subs)

I am wondering a couple things though.

1. Does the HK have center speakers? In my X3 they did, but we disconnected them in lieu of the L/R upgrades optimized for the driver with the DSP. Given I want all passengers to enjoy this time around, I may opt for a center upgrade too.

2. I heard the HK (or was it B&W) has 8” subs under the seat. Has anybody upgrade these to mid-range woofers? I won’t need additonal subs with the JLs.

3. Looks like there’s plenty of space in the spare tire well for a stealth box, but given it’s bigger than the X3 well, I may see if the shop can fit three 13” JLs in there. Anybody have a box in their car?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 07:41 AM   #2
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoiltuna View Post
My cars always go through their right of passage with an aftermarket stereo (done this since I was in high school ). Has anybody else had an install done?

I haven’t done anything to my X7 yet (HK system), I’ll probably have my shop move over what I can from my X3 since I’m in love with the Morels - they sound absolutely astonishing:
  • Morel Hybrid Ovation II Component Speakers in front
  • Morel 5” under-seat (looks like this may not fit the HK?)
  • Audiotec-Fischer Helix DSP V8 MKII
  • 2x 13” JL Audio TW5 Subwoofers in a custom box hidden in the spare tire compartment
  • Kenwood Excelon 1000 watt monoblock (for subs)

I am wondering a couple things though.

1. Does the HK have center speakers? In my X3 they did, but we disconnected them in lieu of the L/R upgrades optimized for the driver with the DSP. Given I want all passengers to enjoy this time around, I may opt for a center upgrade too.

2. I heard the HK (or was it B&W) has 8” subs under the seat. Has anybody upgrade these to mid-range woofers? I won’t need additonal subs with the JLs.

3. Looks like there’s plenty of space in the spare tire well for a stealth box, but given it’s bigger than the X3 well, I may see if the shop can fit three 13” JLs in there. Anybody have a box in their car?
do you have drive assist pro?
some members on the g05 forum have found that the car now does an impedence check on the front speakers. if it doesnt match what its expecting, it disables drive assist pro. likely because the front speakers are used to play audio alerts for the dap system. and they're locking down everything these days.
it was a 2024 X5 but i suspect bmw has done it on the LCI X7 as well
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2039216
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 11-19-2023 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 08:33 AM   #3
keg97
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

I've got a powered 12 inch sub in the spare tire hatch. It works very well and my shop had no issues adding it in with my HK system.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 08:50 AM   #4
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I think the more these cars get into automation and electronics, the less we will be able to control what we can do in the cars. I am still venting that my car is spending the weekend at the dealer because it went to get a software update, it did not install correctly for whatever reason, and the entire car became useless. Not even able to start the car. I think the automation and electronics are great to the point it adds safety and lots of convenience stuff into the cars but at the same time it adds way too much complexity. The fact that you cannot replace your speakers is absolutely mind blowing. I miss the cars when there was a key that you had to turn to get it started.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 08:56 AM   #5
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
do you have drive assist pro?
some members on the g05 forum have found that the car now does an impedence check on the front speakers. if it doesnt match what its expecting, it disables drive assist pro. likely because the front speakers are used to play audio alerts for the dap system. and they're locking down everything these days.
it was a 2024 X5 but i suspect bmw has done it on the LCI X7 as well
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2039216
I do have DAP… that’s a bit concerning. I’ll have to ask the shop about it; not looking to have issues on that front. Would be a serious bummer if it’s true.

UPDATE: read through that thread. Seriously concerning :/ I wonder if my shop would even know if DAP gets disabled. I assume BMW would be the folks to contact to confirm before I get any work done.

Last edited by tinfoiltuna; 11-19-2023 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #6
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoiltuna View Post
I do have DAP… that’s a bit concerning. I’ll have to ask the shop about it; not looking to have issues on that front. Would be a serious bummer if it’s true.

UPDATE: read through that thread. Seriously concerning :/ I wonder if my shop would even know if DAP gets disabled. I assume BMW would be the folks to contact to confirm before I get any work done.
bmw is going to say that they dont support aftermarket electronics installs.
easy check, unplug one of the speakers, center channel is easiest to get to.
if DAP gets disabled, well, you know its checking. you wont be able to turn on lane assist or any of the other functions if it is disabled and it will throw a drive assist restricted error.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0