Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin How to dispose oily rags and clean oil drain pans

11-24-2023, 10:11 PM   #1
maaac
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

How to dispose oily rags and clean oil drain pans

Hi all, I just started changing the engine oil myself. While I am aware that I can recycle used oil in local shops, I have no idea what to do with oily rags. I can't throw them into the washer so I suppose I should dispose it somehow. Searched it up online but didn't find a straightforward solution.

Also, how do people clean the oil drain pan after each oil change? It seems that I can't clean it with water or any solution because then it would be "contaminated oil" and therefore unrecyclable.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
spicyB48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

You can throw oily rags in the ordinary trash. If you're throwing them away just go with shop towels instead of rags. The concerns with spontaneous combustion are more about drying oils like linseed oil used for fine woodworking.

Regarding the oil pan, let most of the oil drip out, then clean it with degreaser in the kitchen sink (preferably when your partner isn't home)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 06:51 PM   #3
maaac
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyB48 View Post
You can throw oily rags in the ordinary trash. If you're throwing them away just go with shop towels instead of rags. The concerns with spontaneous combustion are more about drying oils like linseed oil used for fine woodworking.

Regarding the oil pan, let most of the oil drip out, then clean it with degreaser in the kitchen sink (preferably when your partner isn't home)
I see. Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:10 PM   #4
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyB48 View Post

Please don't wash oil into the water system!!

Wipe it down with the shop rags you are going to toss. Better to contain them at least a little with a rag in the trash. Or just let it drip into a container and then take the oil to a disposal center.

I can't speak for your state, but every state I have lived in the local oil change places take it for free.

I bought a reusable container off of Amazon for like $15. They empty it and I refill it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:42 AM   #5
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I take the old oil to the parts store. I wipe the drain pan down carefully with a shop towel or old t-shirts, and I can get it nearly oil free. I put the rags in a leftover plastic sack and put them in the garbage. Then lay a paper towel or shop towel in the pan to absorb any residual oil, and put it back on the shelf. If you want to go a little farther you can bag it in a kitchen garage bag before you shelve it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 11:15 PM   #6
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

Blue shop towels in the 12 pack from Costco save a lot of time and mess!
Appreciate 1