BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Got 1000km trouble free motoring before first red light warning

12-07-2023, 05:51 AM   #1
evad
Rep
Drives: iX1 xdrive30 M-Sport

Got 1000km trouble free motoring before first red light warning

Has anyone else had this "Power Supply" fault on an iX1 requesting you to Stop carefully
It was followed by an 'unable to charge' warning whilst driving.

In a loan car till further notice.
Attached Images

Last edited by evad; 12-09-2023 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: Pic
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:01 AM   #2
Bam-Bam
Private
Rep
Drives: Ix1 xdrive30

I’m now on 18000 KM and almost owned for 1 year (ix1) without significant problems.
Except: HUD replacement, drive shaft replacement and adjustment of headlights (hardware & software).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 U11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam-Bam View Post
I’m now on 18000 KM and almost owned for 1 year (ix1) without significant problems.
Except: HUD replacement, drive shaft replacement and adjustment of headlights (hardware & software).
I'm hoping like hell that's sarcasm
Appreciate 3
      12-07-2023, 09:29 AM   #4
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationMoon! View Post
hard to tell these days.....

my X1(xDrive28i, petrol-only engine) has only 3300 miles.

off the top of my head, here are some of the parts that the dealer has replaced under warranty. most are minor things, but still annoying.

driver-side electronic parking brake motor/module(?)

rear brake discs

rear dampers

bonnet release latch(left)

headunit(iDrive8)

infotainment screen(center one)

scissor jack for the spare tire(due to rust)

floor mats(rear passenger, due to stitching coming off and material seperating)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 11:38 AM   #5
Bam-Bam
Private
Rep
Drives: Ix1 xdrive30

Quote:
Depends from which side you approach it from. I bought this ix1 after visually seeing a preproduction model. My car arrived at the dealer on the same truck as the demo car. All complaints are resolved in a professional manner. I had no cost and there was always a replacement car available at zero costs. Dealer is close to my house and I have thoroughly enjoyed the kilometers I have driven.
Appreciate 2
evad3.00
jhbodle145.50
      12-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #6
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosticKen View Post
Give em hell!

How did it go rusty? Don't tell me you actually used it!
no idea... to be honest, it wasn't bad, only the jackscrew(?) in the center had rust.... probably a bad part when they made it? I showed it to the service advisor and he agreed that it needed to be replaced. no sense in finding out that jack won't work when I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere at night, right? it took a week and half. I went back to pick it up and the service advisor tossed the rusty one in the metal recycling bin.

The funny thing was that I have this forum to thank. Someone posted a question about spare wheel or jacks.(or the lack of spare wheels for X1 in Australia or somewhere?) I took a picture of mine to show what the jack looked like. I noticed the rust when I was putting the jack back. Otherwise, I would never have noticed it. I mean, who ever looks at the jack in the trunk anyway?
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 03:06 AM   #7
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evad View Post
Has anyone else had this "Power Supply" fault on an iX1 requesting you to Stop carefully

Yes, I had this message (and two further messages that said, 'Not possible to select tranmission position R' and 'Drive carefully - drivetrain fault') last Monday.

Roll on to yesterday, car is at the dealer, and I got a phone call to tell me they need to 'replace the drive motors' in the gearbox - not sure why 'motors' as I thought there was only one electric motor in the MHEV version of the X1. Anyway, it's a whole engine/gearbox removed from the car job, then strip the gearbox - car is not even a year old and only 13,200miles on the clock. Final insult is they have not even provided a loan car. Luckily, I can use my partner's car, but that's not the point. Not a happy bunny.

Last edited by Duncs1961; 12-12-2023 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:50 AM   #8
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I suspect they are looking to move the motors / actuators that move the drive shafts within the gearbox that effectively replace what your hand / foot would have done in the past.

Fingers cross this resolves it but you should certainly get a curtesy car. The best way to get that sort of things is get BMW recovery to take the car to the dealer and they give you a replacement car as part of the service which usually means until they can give you your car back.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 04:26 AM   #9
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
I suspect they are looking to move the motors / actuators that move the drive shafts within the gearbox that effectively replace what your hand / foot would have done in the past.

Fingers cross this resolves it but you should certainly get a curtesy car. The best way to get that sort of things is get BMW recovery to take the car to the dealer and they give you a replacement car as part of the service which usually means until they can give you your car back.
I drove the car in limp mode to the dealer (as they would not recover it from my house, said it was my reposnsibilty to get it to them!) and then, to add insult to injury, would not give me a lift back home, so I walked 4.5miles. Yes, I know I could have got a taxi, but that's not the point, it's the principle - that said, walking/hiking is my hobby and it was a lovely day yesterday too!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 07:10 AM   #10
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
I drove the car in limp mode to the dealer (as they would not recover it from my house, said it was my reposnsibilty to get it to them!) and then, to add insult to injury, would not give me a lift back home, so I walked 4.5miles. Yes, I know I could have got a taxi, but that's not the point, it's the principle - that said, walking/hiking is my hobby and it was a lovely day yesterday too!
was that how they treat BMW owners in the UK? I would have been very upset if that happened to me.

(knock on wood) I've never needed it, but both the BMW roadside assistance and my BMW dealer told me that if my car was broken down(or the screen said to pull over and not continue to drive), they would dispatch a flatbed to pick it up. Yes, they know that my house is 2+ hours from them.

They provide free BMW loaners(X1, X3 or 330i) and I can return to pick it up after the repair. My BMW dealer also offers a service to have the flatbed transport the car back to my house for a flat fee of $80.(which is fair, considering that the flatbed driver has to drive at least 6 hours roundtrip to deliver the car back to my house)

Before COVID, they apparently also had mobile service for simple things that could be performed at the customer's home or office. The mobile service was free up to 50 miles from the dealership. The repair price was the same as going into the dealership, regardless of who paid, BMW warranty or the customer. Since I was a little further than 50 miles, they would charge $30 for the mobile service tech to go that extra distance.

Maybe we here in the US are spoiled by dealerships.... back when I had a _______(Japanese luxury brand), my dealer offered free pick up and drop off of cars even for regular oil changes, provided that the customer within 25 miles from the dealer. At that time, I was 15 miles away. I loved that service because one of their guys drove to my driveway, took my key, and drove back to the dealer. Another employees drove my car from the dealer back to my house in the afternoon after the oil change was done. If I wasn't home, he would just drop the key into my mail slot on the door or with my neighbor.

Last edited by SpaceSilver.X1; 12-12-2023 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:11 AM   #11
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
I didn't call the dealer, just called the recovery service and said it couldn't be driven etc. Then the BMW machine swung into action, was a positive reason to own a BMW, have done it twice for issues. Dealers are hopeless and just want profit from us.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #12
SeaSkiAndMe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Ugh, I have a pit in my stomach after reading that y'all have had all these issues on a "young" car. I got rid of my last car bc all of a sudden things started breaking, so we felt it was no longer "trustworthy." That said, my old car was at 60k miles when I decided to dump it after 3 months in and out of the repair shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:45 PM   #13
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkiAndMe View Post
Ugh, I have a pit in my stomach after reading that y'all have had all these issues on a "young" car. I got rid of my last car bc all of a sudden things started breaking, so we felt it was no longer "trustworthy." That said, my old car was at 60k miles when I decided to dump it after 3 months in and out of the repair shop.
Same here my first Gen x1 that I bought certified used and is at 85000 miles hasn't had a single issue in 9 years..... I hope like hell this new one isn't a mistake
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 09:00 PM   #14
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Same here my first Gen x1 that I bought certified used and is at 85000 miles hasn't had a single issue in 9 years..... I hope like hell this new one isn't a mistake
almost all of the issues are software...

I've had my X1 since April. It did have a few issues, but all were satisfactorily resolved. (either by my BMW dealer or all the very helpful folks on this forum )

other than the lack of decent exhaust sound, I have absolutely no complaints at this time.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 10:17 PM   #15
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep

Glad to hear! Especially since it's about a 5 hour round trip to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 06:35 AM   #16
evad
Rep
Drives: iX1 xdrive30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by evad View Post

3 WEEK UPDATE: I have a new charging module on order which apparently is the fix.
Not so good news is ETA Germany is still unconfirmed/unknown.
Appreciate 0