home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-09-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

First Impressions - After 2 Weeks

First I want to say thank you to everyone here on the forum who helped me along the way, and answered all my questions and addressed my concerns !

1) The M240i is much more beautiful in person. When my salesman walked me out to my car, I couldn't stop smiling. Pictures and videos don't capture this car's sexiness.

2) The interior is wonderful. I am extremely satisfied with the car's infotainment system. The layout is great to work with while driving.

3) The Sensatec 'leather' - I am very happy at how soft and comfortable it is. And with the base level seats, I am very comfortable in them. The only negative is perhaps the synthetic smell it gives the new car, which I'm sure will go away.

4) The non-HK base stereo system - Although it is not as bad as people made it sound, it definitely leaves you wanting more. As soon as you get used to the stereo , you find yourself listening to your favorite music at almost full volume , because it doesn't get super loud. I already upgraded the center dash speaker, tweeter, and added a subwoofer to the trunk - which helped a great deal.

5) Performance and speed - The car is very fast and feels wonderful. But it is very refined and controlled. The 8-speed transmission is brilliant , by far the best auto I've ever driven.

This car isn't really a sports car as much as some people would like it to be. It is soft, luxurious, full of technology and comforts. This car is better described as a high performance GT sports coupe. I can already tell that I'm going to need to add coilovers or a lowering spring kit to firm up the suspension. As the car is, drifting around turns or corners doesn't quite feel effortless.

Overall, I love the car. This is by far the best car at this price point.

By the way - Henderson (Las Vegas) BMW was great. My salesman Robert Crampton was honest and professional every step of the way. The dealership didn't try to pull any funny business.

Name:  20231127_164021.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  314.6 KB
Appreciate 7
      12-09-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Congrats! Have fun with her!
Appreciate 1
VegasG42394.50
      12-10-2023, 08:53 AM   #3
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Nice first impressions and welcome in the community All the best for the first miles on board!

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 1
VegasG42394.50
      12-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #4
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

And for those of you still looking to purchase a M240i .... don't think you have to load the car up with every option and package available.

The standard 19 inch wheels and tires, and the base level M brakes and rotors are excellent for a daily driver.

The Sensatec and base level seats are very comfortable.

The car comes with a great deal of tech and options in it's base form.

I had to add the BSM paint. I also added Remote Start. And I added the Garage door opener to the rearview mirror.

I also added the 'Extended Shadow Line Package' , which was only $400.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 12:26 PM   #5
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

I'm about 2 months and 1300 miles in now, and I agree with most of what OP said. It is a high performance touring car rather than a sports car, but that is what I wanted. I find the base sound system fine, but then I don't put it up so loud that I can't hear the world around me and listen to music that doesn't rely upon a ton of bass.
I find the non-run flat performance P Zeros fine, but I don't track the car and so I don't know what the real limits of adhesion are. But you certainly don't need to spend $2.5K on the track package unless you plan to track the car.
Regarding the appearance, I agree the car has more presence in person than in pictures.

When I got this I was thinking I could sell my E36 M3 and my long distance cruiser and use this for both. I sold the cruiser, but I won't be selling the M3. There's something about attacking a canyon in a no-added-nannies, hydraulic steering "analog" car that a modern car can't provide.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42394.50
      12-10-2023, 01:57 PM   #6
advr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3; G42 M240i; K49 S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
I'm about 2 months and 1300 miles in now, and I agree with most of what OP said. It is a high performance touring car rather than a sports car, but that is what I wanted. I find the base sound system fine, but then I don't put it up so loud that I can't hear the world around me and listen to music that doesn't rely upon a ton of bass.
I find the non-run flat performance P Zeros fine, but I don't track the car and so I don't know what the real limits of adhesion are. But you certainly don't need to spend $2.5K on the track package unless you plan to track the car.
Regarding the appearance, I agree the car has more presence in person than in pictures.

When I got this I was thinking I could sell my E36 M3 and my long distance cruiser and use this for both. I sold the cruiser, but I won't be selling the M3. There's something about attacking a canyon in a no-added-nannies, hydraulic steering "analog" car that a modern car can't provide.
That's why I kept my E46 M3. The level of driving engagement / involvement is definitely higher in that car. If only the new M or M light cars could have the equivalent of Porsche EPAS they would be a lot more enjoyable. They have tons of grip but very little feel ...
Appreciate 1
VegasG42394.50
      12-10-2023, 02:55 PM   #7
thespeedy2series
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
I've had my m240i xDrive since August, and it is so fast compared to a lot of different cars. it's an overall great car and I love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
VegasG42394.50
AWcoupe167.00
jpf3409.00
      12-10-2023, 03:04 PM   #8
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Very nice ! It's nice driving something that's faster than almost everything else on the road ........ well at least the vast majority of everything else on the road
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:32 PM   #9
kwikit356
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240ix 16 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by advr6 View Post
That's why I kept my E46 M3. The level of driving engagement / involvement is definitely higher in that car. If only the new M or M light cars could have the equivalent of Porsche EPAS they would be a lot more enjoyable. They have tons of grip but very little feel ...
You've made a very interesting point about Porsche's EPS. I've had three recent Porsches, each with a different steering system. The earliest one was a '12 987.2 Cayman R with hydraulic power steering. The next was a '15 991.1 911 GTS (rwd) with the first series of EPS. The most recent is a '16 981 Boxster Spyder that would, in a regular Boxster, be the same EPS as the '15 GTS.

The power steering in the '12 Cayman R was just fantastic in every respect. Of course, that was hydraulic. The EPS in the '15 GTS was very accurate and precise, but had almost no feel/feedback. I bought the '16 981 Spyder recently (used), so before I actually drove the car I was very concerned about the steering. Surprisingly, the EPS in the Sypder had much better feel/feedback. It also felt like a much quicker rack- meaning hardware. My research indicated that the Spyder (and not the very similar 981 Cayman GT4) had the same steering rack as the 991.1 911 Turbo S.

So, I would say (subjectively) that the '12 Cayman R was by far the best steering, but the EPS rack in the '16 Spyder is really quite good- much better than the standard EPS in either the 981 cars (Caymans and Boxsters) or the standard 991.1 cars (this does not apply to the 991.1 GT cars).

There is a lot of complexity to deal with regarding these different versions of EPS. I recently discovered that if you have the necessary Porsche coding system (PIWIS v. 3) you can actually change the software configuration on all of the 981 and 991.1(standard) cars to a "GT3" setting. People who have done this find the difference significant, and much better. The 981 Spyder remains different in that to code different steering software the option is not GT3, but GT3RS. I hope to try this soon, if weather permits.

On top of all of this is that all of the 2017-current 718 Boxsters and Caymans, and the 2017-2019 991.2 911s have a different steering rack part number, as well as different software. This EPS system is really very good, much better than anything Porsche did earlier.

My guess is that there are probably different software coding options on our BMWs, depending to some degree on the EPS steering rack hardware part number. I recall reading something on the M3/4 forum about those options, but my M240i X-Drive is too new for me to jump into that just yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:45 PM   #10
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post

Never sell that M3. I have an e46 330i ZHP 6 spd. So pure.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 06:17 AM   #11
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

it's a great car! i'm 99% moving onto a B8.5 RS5 while I still call, but this is the hardest time i've had getting rid of a car. really trying to sell it to a friend so i can (sort of) keep it around because i've babied the thing and really do think it's an awesome car
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:48 PM   #12
mattleegee
2024 G42 -BG-
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW m240i

Garage List
2024 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I'm about to hit my 2month on 12/14 and absolutely love this car.
Honestly i didn't see one in person until i seen the one i bought, i almost wrote it off since comments about looks online were pretty bad, but seeing it in person and then taking it on a test drive i was sold.
I'm always looking back after parking it, and after pulling fuse f203 it is a constant smile on the throttle
Appreciate 1
VegasG42394.50
      12-11-2023, 02:24 PM   #13
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

congrats on the car....personally ive never heard of Sensatec ......over in the Uk we get the M seats the same as the std M2 ect and its vernasca leather no other options either...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 05:27 PM   #14
advr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3; G42 M240i; K49 S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikit356 View Post
You've made a very interesting point about Porsche's EPS. I've had three recent Porsches, each with a different steering system. The earliest one was a '12 987.2 Cayman R with hydraulic power steering. The next was a '15 991.1 911 GTS (rwd) with the first series of EPS. The most recent is a '16 981 Boxster Spyder that would, in a regular Boxster, be the same EPS as the '15 GTS.

The power steering in the '12 Cayman R was just fantastic in every respect. Of course, that was hydraulic. The EPS in the '15 GTS was very accurate and precise, but had almost no feel/feedback. I bought the '16 981 Spyder recently (used), so before I actually drove the car I was very concerned about the steering. Surprisingly, the EPS in the Sypder had much better feel/feedback. It also felt like a much quicker rack- meaning hardware. My research indicated that the Spyder (and not the very similar 981 Cayman GT4) had the same steering rack as the 991.1 911 Turbo S.

So, I would say (subjectively) that the '12 Cayman R was by far the best steering, but the EPS rack in the '16 Spyder is really quite good- much better than the standard EPS in either the 981 cars (Caymans and Boxsters) or the standard 991.1 cars (this does not apply to the 991.1 GT cars).

There is a lot of complexity to deal with regarding these different versions of EPS. I recently discovered that if you have the necessary Porsche coding system (PIWIS v. 3) you can actually change the software configuration on all of the 981 and 991.1(standard) cars to a "GT3" setting. People who have done this find the difference significant, and much better. The 981 Spyder remains different in that to code different steering software the option is not GT3, but GT3RS. I hope to try this soon, if weather permits.

On top of all of this is that all of the 2017-current 718 Boxsters and Caymans, and the 2017-2019 991.2 911s have a different steering rack part number, as well as different software. This EPS system is really very good, much better than anything Porsche did earlier.

My guess is that there are probably different software coding options on our BMWs, depending to some degree on the EPS steering rack hardware part number. I recall reading something on the M3/4 forum about those options, but my M240i X-Drive is too new for me to jump into that just yet.
If you do ever look into that please post your findings on this forum. I would be very interested if a software coding option could improve the feel ...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 08:19 AM   #15
Baldilocks73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_geezer View Post
congrats on the car....personally ive never heard of Sensatec ......over in the Uk we get the M seats the same as the std M2 ect and its vernasca leather no other options either...
I hate the fact that we can't get those in the M240i.
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #16
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

The rear is the worst angle. Stay away from there and you'll be fine. I can't stomach the new grills and think it's one of the best looking BMWs today.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 08:55 PM   #17
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
And for those of you still looking to purchase a M240i .... don't think you have to load the car up with every option and package available.

The standard 19 inch wheels and tires, and the base level M brakes and rotors are excellent for a daily driver.

The Sensatec and base level seats are very comfortable.

The car comes with a great deal of tech and options in it's base form.

I had to add the BSM paint. I also added Remote Start. And I added the Garage door opener to the rearview mirror.

I also added the 'Extended Shadow Line Package' , which was only $400.
HK is a must if not planning to upgrade. Even HK is not good enough in my opinion.
Appreciate 0