01-03-2024, 04:17 PM   #1
Zachp13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M

Garage List
21 X3M  [0.00]
Apps

Is there a way to get to the apps page using voice control? I prefer using I drive controller and find it less desirable to have to reach the screen and press the 4 boxes to access them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 05:56 PM   #2
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachp13 View Post
Is there a way to get to the apps page using voice control? I prefer using I drive controller and find it less desirable to have to reach the screen and press the 4 boxes to access them.
I'm the same way, I prefer not to touch the screen if I don't have to. My iDrive controller is set up so that if I tilt it forwards it opens the Shortcuts screen, and from there I can quickly navigate to the apps, settings, I want, or quickly select Sport mode.
Appreciate 1
Road Trip1379.50
      01-03-2024, 06:17 PM   #3
Zachp13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M

Garage List
21 X3M  [0.00]
Thanks, That’s exactly what I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 07:53 PM   #4
Road Trip
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06

I too use the controller to immediately access shortcuts. Before we picked your iX up, we created our potential shortcut list; it had 14 things listed. Now twelve days into ownership, we have found that 8.5 created a good, very functional, base for us so we still have 5 more shortcuts yet to set. Alternatively and nice, we easily use the personal assistant for many things. For example, to change roof’s opacity thanks to Paladin1 suggesting using the Personal Assistant to say “close roof” or “open roof” — so much safer than reaching up over my right shoulder, taking my eyes off the road, then insuring I was about to push the correct roof change button. No need for a shortcut there as a consequence.

We were thinking since we have four in a row XM stations we listen to a lot (15-18) we would be using 4 shortcuts for them, but with the center console’s bottom right “front and back” arrows, getting from one station to the next is so quick (no need to even look at the console). There will probably be a couple of other XM stations we use for shortcuts eventually

Wonder what we will be using our 3 remaining empty shortcuts for? Wonder what we would be using the two gesture controls for (if anything)?

True 8.5 is far from perfect but having been away from BMW for 11 years and my being able to so early-on, readily move from changing/controlling one thing to the next while driving in just our first 12 days, is a very nice initial entry.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:27 PM   #5
Call Me Bronco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
l
We were thinking since we have four in a row XM stations we listen to a lot (15-18) we would be using 4 shortcuts for them, but with the center console’s bottom right “front and back” arrows, getting from one station to the next is so quick (no need to even look at the console). There will probably be a couple of other XM stations we use for shortcuts eventually
For this, you can also have the stations show up in your HUD, using the toggle on the steering wheel to cycle through them. i find it to be very fast and safe
Appreciate 1
Road Trip1379.50
      01-03-2024, 10:14 PM   #6
Road Trip
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06

Thanks. I saw that on a video a month or so ago —then forgot that option. Appreciate the reminder!
Appreciate 0