home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-27-2024, 08:42 PM   #1
Unforgiven300
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Transmission Tuning on a G82 Competition XDrive

Does anyone knows how to tune the zf 8 transmission on a 2023 M4 Competition Xdrive? Is there a handheld tuner?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 09:21 PM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Search term: XHP
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 09:49 PM   #3
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Yep, xhp
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 09:24 AM   #4
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
https://bimmer-remote.com/products/c...-m3-m4-g80-g82

This is what I did for the transmission.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 03:10 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
https://bimmer-remote.com/products/c...-m3-m4-g80-g82

This is what I did for the transmission.
I did too, but I would call the XHP more of an actual “tune”. Just because like an engine flash tuner, you can play around with parameters to your liking.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 10:36 PM   #6
Unforgiven300
United_States
Rep

Any advantages from the xhp to the CS flash? It seems the CS flash relies on remote support, but covers a lot more aspects. I’m on a JB4 with a Dinan CAI, planing on installing downpipes after winter. But would like to get any advantage to run a faster 1/4 mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 10:39 PM   #7
Unforgiven300
United_States
Rep

This is mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 11:45 PM   #8
RUNSOK
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 COMP XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven300 View Post
Any advantages from the xhp to the CS flash? It seems the CS flash relies on remote support, but covers a lot more aspects. I’m on a JB4 with a Dinan CAI, planing on installing downpipes after winter. But would like to get any advantage to run a faster 1/4 mile.
Let me tell you what I know. If I am wrong more experienced members will correct me. CS transmission tune is milder than XHP. CS tune lacks customization therefore more suitable for mildy modified cars. If your car is pushing ton of power, CS transmission tune is not going to cut it so you need to go to XHP. Now I dont have any of these tunes in my M4 but I am curious to see the difference in quarter mile between before and after a CS tune. Or even 60-130 would be a decent and more accurate comparison between stock transmission tune vs CS tune on the same car.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 01:15 PM   #9
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Based on all the research I've done as I'm contemplating the same mod, I feel the CS tune is a significantly improvement over stock at least on stock turbo power. Plus it has the OEM angle going for it in terms of drivability and at least gives some chance of not voiding the warranty.

I plan to get Dragy before and after numbers to see how it compares as well.
      01-29-2024, 01:31 PM   #10
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Garage List
In addition to the CS/CSL coding I also have BM3 multimap/flex fuel sensor/catless with midpipe, etc, supposed to be 650-670 on E40 so not sure if CS coding isn't enough for bigger turbos and a built motor but it runs sweet with my mods.
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2024, 01:53 PM   #11
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Last night I saw a very good instructional video from kern417 on YouTube that details each setting for XHP on the ZF8:

https://youtu.be/bqGSePe-vxo?si=wpxt_MOHI3LwQnYD
somer973.50
kern4174464.00
      01-29-2024, 03:10 PM   #12
Unforgiven300
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In addition to the CS/CSL coding I also have BM3 multimap/flex fuel sensor/catless with midpipe, etc, supposed to be 650-670 on E40 so not sure if CS coding isn't enough for bigger turbos and a built motor but it runs sweet with my mods.
If you have the BM3, I suppose you got your DME unlocked.

I am on a JB4 map 3 and Dinan CAI.

April-May updates include catless downpipe and midpipe. Also considering some flex fuel (e85) joy.

I suppose the CS/CSL coding is only available with Bimmer Remote Coding, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 04:02 PM   #13
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you have the BM3, I suppose you got your DME unlocked.

I am on a JB4 map 3 and Dinan CAI.

April-May updates include catless downpipe and midpipe. Also considering some flex fuel (e85) joy.

I suppose the CS/CSL coding is only available with Bimmer Remote Coding, correct?
Maybe other coding places offer it, not sure, but they were easy to work with and did a good job, etc.

Yes, FEMTO unlocked ECM
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 04:08 PM   #14
viciousmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Custom tuning for XHP is also available. I am custom tuned through Rod at Sutphin Tuning. I have his reproduction of drag mode without the added pressured and friction mods XHP uses for OTS Drag Mode.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2024, 09:29 AM   #15
Unforgiven300
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just placed the order for this tuning. Looking forward to get it installed on Friday! Will keep you all posted!
Appreciate 2
somer973.50
      01-31-2024, 10:25 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Just placed the order for this tuning. Looking forward to get it installed on Friday! Will keep you all posted!
Waiting for your feedback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 04:53 PM   #17
Unforgiven300
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Waiting for your feedback
Guys, I had a chance to try the car today for a bit. The difference is noticeable. On comfort mode, the car will change gears guick, but everything feels seamless, buttery smooth. The steering feels more grounded and provides more feedback, which is great (we all now the stock steering in the G8X platform is quite numb). On M2 mode, things are taken up a notch. I could swear the transmission converter allows for more power to be transferred. I’m running a JB4 map 3 with a Dinan Carbon Fiber CAI and the acceleration has definitely improved. I live in NH, we got cold temperatures, which is why I didn’t went full blast today. When we hit spring, I’m planning to get actual Dragy data. Totally recommend the CS/CSL flash.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 06:26 PM   #18
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I can go ahead and chime in on this. Apologies in advance but it’s going to be a bit of a read; however, a worthwhile one for those who are wanting some insight on these TCU Tunes related to Femto Unlocked G8X in general.

I tend to be the typical observer as I am sure most members here are, but I purchased both the CS tune and XHP in that order. I have a 2023 G80 Xdrive and tested both TCU tunes on both E50 OTS and E50 custom CJ tune that was tuned prior to XHP purchase.

CS Tune package:

- CS Steering
- CS TCU parameters
- CS Diff & Suspension tune

OTS E50 thoughts: CS tune can handle all power levels that OTS Bundle has to offer through BM3. Clutch engagement is definitely snappier in both sport and sport plus ( 2 bar & 3 bar options on your shifter toggle ) the delay in shifting that you typically feel when in stock form gets eliminated, but it’s met with a harsher shift dynamic that somewhat feels unnatural for even a transmission meant for a sports car.

Overall this is a good option for those who know without a doubt that they will only stick with any OTS map offered through bm3 and don’t plan to go the custom ECU tune route and push the platform further.

Custom E50 Map: when I started running my initial base map through CJ there was a definite notice in power output increase; however CS Transmission tune held up with the same above mentioned characteristics, BUT ( BIG BUT ) once I recieved my the first revision; along with the remaining revisions, this is where I began to notice oscillation/misfire type of characteristic with the car when shifting above 6k rpm’s.

My initial thought were maybe I needed to change my spark plugs and gap them down to .020 - .022, so I proceeded as such with the NGK Iridium 96206 plugs. Upon swapping the plugs I did notice I was seeing some possible blowout occurring as the plugs in cylinder 3 & 6 were running slightly hot and gapped at .026 from factory.

By doing this it did help slightly but I was still getting that oscillation/ misfire and almost what I would call hesitation feeling when shifting still and it was intermittent. At this point I knew it was either a tune related issue, injector issue, coil, or transmission issue.

My gut feeling was telling me that due to Torque Limiter related issues that these G80’s face with this new Torque Converter Transmission I really did feel like the TCU tuning was the culprit being that I constantly test my E85 and check to ensure the fuel is clean, doesn’t have contaminates and it’s extremely rare for a coilpack or injector ( which I inspected when removing to do spark plugs ) goes bad with a car with 6k miles on the ODO.

This leads me to getting the XHP Tune!

XHP:

- Torque Limiters removed
- Heavily improved shift-times. On-par with DCT transmissions
- Revised shift-logic and spread between Drivelogic modes
- Drivelogic 1: Low to medium-speed, but always smooth shifting
- Drivelogic 2: Medium to medium-fast shifts, depending on throttle
- Drivelogic 3: Super-Fast shifting and maximum performance at all-times
- Much stronger and faster blip-downshifts
- Reworked Shiftmaps in Drivelogic 1
- Fixed 8th Gear engagement above 300 km/h (stock file inhibits shifting to 8th above)
- Launch Control available in 1st and 2nd Gear

Custom E50 CJ Tune XHP Thoughts:

Quick baseline here at this point I was already done with CJ E50 tune. Cary Jordan already checked off that the car is as far as it can go within safe parameters as the fuel system is reaching its limits so I went ahead and let him know I do not want to stress the system more than needed as this is where problems can typically start occurring for those who push their tuners to squeeze more power.

I went ahead and got the XHP map pack and immediately flashed Stage 3 OTS with the following edited settings:

- Version 1.5
- Line Pressure Bump
- Auto Start/Stop Deactivate

I went ahead fired the car up and started driving in the most efficient mode casually around town for about 20 minutes or so before I switched driving mode over to M2/ Sport Plus setting and I selected the 2nd Bar setting on the shift handle. I began doing WOT pulls here and there in a safe area and began shifting at 5k RPM to just get a feel for the car. Once I determined the vehicle was shifting ok I proceeded to increase the RPM shift point higher before I would shift to see if the oscillation/ misfire effect occurred.

My first 2-3 pulls where I shifted at 6.5k rpm or more I was still receiving some oscillation spike but I noticed it was significantly less than the CS Tune, so I went ahead and continued to test as I could tell at this point the XHP flash was adapting as my shifting was continuing to get faster and smoother. The following pulls from this point forward all oscillation/ misfire spikes are completely gone and the car is now allowing me to rev it out to 7k and the power delivery is getting stronger and smoother.

Conclusion:

I have not made any adjustments to this XHP flash since and the car feels a lot better. Shifts are very fast, firm but smooth almost DCT like. Car doesn’t feel like the transmission is about to blow through the center console anymore and would absolutely say this TCU tune is a must for those who are doing custom E30 tune on stock fueling or above. Give the XHP time to adapt to your car and I would recommend the 2nd Bar on the aggression level as the 3rd bar has the same characterstica but it’s got a bit more of a snap immediacy feeling to it that feels slightly brutal.

The car is very quick and I don’t feel concerned anymore to ring the rev band out anymore as this headache was beginning to make me start debating selling the car as I just couldn’t bare that unusual shift feeling you would get that makes you feel like your about to send your transmission to the moon. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I hope this brings clarity for those who were wondering or on the fence about these two options.

After sifting through forums on here I felt as though this really needed elaborating on the subject a bit more in depth and the big takeaway with XHP flashes is you need to give that tune some time to adapt, don’t just flash it and go out and start romping on it immediately, it needs a little finesse which I understand is hard for us enthusiasts as we all have lead foots 😭 thanks again and if you have questions please do not hesitate!
Appreciate 5
Froz3n_M399.50
forcefed2596.50
81bear430.50
SE7EN335330.00
      02-04-2024, 09:25 AM   #19
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronM2LCI View Post
I can go ahead and chime in on this. Apologies in advance but it’s going to be a bit of a read; however, a worthwhile one for those who are wanting some insight on these TCU Tunes related to Femto Unlocked G8X in general.

I tend to be the typical observer as I am sure most members here are, but I purchased both the CS tune and XHP in that order. I have a 2023 G80 Xdrive and tested both TCU tunes on both E50 OTS and E50 custom CJ tune that was tuned prior to XHP purchase.

CS Tune package:

- CS Steering
- CS TCU parameters

OTS E50 thoughts: CS tune can handle all power levels that OTS Bundle has to offer through BM3. Clutch engagement is definitely snappier in both sport and sport plus ( 2 bar & 3 bar options on your shifter toggle ) the delay in shifting that you typically feel when in stock form gets eliminated, but it’s met with a harsher shift dynamic that somewhat feels unnatural for even a transmission meant for a sports car.

Overall this is a good option for those who know without a doubt that they will only stick with any OTS map offered through bm3 and don’t plan to go the custom ECU tune route and push the platform further.

Custom E50 Map: when I started running my initial base map through CJ there was a definite notice in power output increase; however CS Transmission tune held up with the same above mentioned characteristics, BUT ( BIG BUT ) once I recieved my the first revision; along with the remaining revisions, this is where I began to notice oscillation/misfire type of characteristic with the car when shifting above 6k rpm’s.

My initial thought were maybe I needed to change my spark plugs and gap them down to .020 - .022, so I proceeded as such with the NGK Iridium 96206 plugs. Upon swapping the plugs I did notice I was seeing some possible blowout occurring as the plugs in cylinder 3 & 6 were running slightly hot and gapped at .026 from factory.

By doing this it did help slightly but I was still getting that oscillation/ misfire and almost what I would call hesitation feeling when shifting still and it was intermittent. At this point I knew it was either a tune related issue, injector issue, coil, or transmission issue.

My gut feeling was telling me that due to Torque Limiter related issues that these G80’s face with this new Torque Converter Transmission I really did feel like the TCU tuning was the culprit being that I constantly test my E85 and check to ensure the fuel is clean, doesn’t have contaminates and it’s extremely rare for a coilpack or injector ( which I inspected when removing to do spark plugs ) goes bad with a car with 6k miles on the ODO.

This leads me to getting the XHP Tune!

XHP:

- Torque Limiters removed
- Heavily improved shift-times. On-par with DCT transmissions
- Revised shift-logic and spread between Drivelogic modes
- Drivelogic 1: Low to medium-speed, but always smooth shifting
- Drivelogic 2: Medium to medium-fast shifts, depending on throttle
- Drivelogic 3: Super-Fast shifting and maximum performance at all-times
- Much stronger and faster blip-downshifts
- Reworked Shiftmaps in Drivelogic 1
- Fixed 8th Gear engagement above 300 km/h (stock file inhibits shifting to 8th above)
- Launch Control available in 1st and 2nd Gear

Custom E50 CJ Tune XHP Thoughts:

Quick baseline here at this point I was already done with CJ E50 tune. Cary Jordan already checked off that the car is as far as it can go within safe parameters as the fuel system is reaching its limits so I went ahead and let him know I do not want to stress the system more than needed as this is where problems can typically start occurring for those who push their tuners to squeeze more power.

I went ahead and got the XHP map pack and immediately flashed Stage 3 OTS with the following edited settings:

- Version 1.5
- Line Pressure Bump
- Auto Start/Stop Deactivate

I went ahead fired the car up and started driving in the most efficient mode casually around town for about 20 minutes or so before I switched driving mode over to M2/ Sport Plus setting and I selected the 2nd Bar setting on the shift handle. I began doing WOT pulls here and there in a safe area and began shifting at 5k RPM to just get a feel for the car. Once I determined the vehicle was shifting ok I proceeded to increase the RPM shift point higher before I would shift to see if the oscillation/ misfire effect occurred.

My first 2-3 pulls where I shifted at 6.5k rpm or more I was still receiving some oscillation spike but I noticed it was significantly less than the CS Tune, so I went ahead and continued to test as I could tell at this point the XHP flash was adapting as my shifting was continuing to get faster and smoother. The following pulls from this point forward all oscillation/ misfire spikes are completely gone and the car is now allowing me to rev it out to 7k and the power delivery is getting stronger and smoother.

Conclusion:

I have not made any adjustments to this XHP flash since and the car feels a lot better. Shifts are very fast, firm but smooth almost DCT like. Car doesn’t feel like the transmission is about to blow through the center console anymore and would absolutely say this TCU tune is a must for those who are doing custom E30 tune on stock fueling or above. Give the XHP time to adapt to your car and I would recommend the 2nd Bar on the aggression level as the 3rd bar has the same characterstica but it’s got a bit more of a snap immediacy feeling to it that feels slightly brutal.

The car is very quick and I don’t feel concerned anymore to ring the rev band out anymore as this headache was beginning to make me start debating selling the car as I just couldn’t bare that unusual shift feeling you would get that makes you feel like your about to send your transmission to the moon. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I hope this brings clarity for those who were wondering or on the fence about these two options.

After sifting through forums on here I felt as though this really needed elaborating on the subject a bit more in depth and the big takeaway with XHP flashes is you need to give that tune some time to adapt, don’t just flash it and go out and start romping on it immediately, it needs a little finesse which I understand is hard for us enthusiasts as we all have lead foots 😭 thanks again and if you have questions please do not hesitate!

Very good review!

I’m running XHP stage 3 (1.4) with custom E40. All is solid. Shift in D3 are very aggressive and only used when racing.

I’ll be flashing XHP 1.5 today.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 10:01 AM   #20
PipeM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IS 500, 2024 M3 comp RWD

Quote:

CS Tune package:

- CS Steering
- CS TCU parameters

Custom E50 Map: when I started running my initial base map through CJ there was a definite notice in power output increase; however CS Transmission tune held up with the same above mentioned characteristics, BUT ( BIG BUT ) once I recieved my the first revision; along with the remaining revisions, this is where I began to notice oscillation/misfire type of characteristic with the car when shifting [...]
Great review. Don’t mind the long reading when Is based of facts!👏👍🏻 💪🏻. Don’t plan to modify my car expect for a mid pipe so I think will go the CS route. I have read some reviews of the “feeling of the trans” being to aggressive and actually some reviewers thinking of going back to stock or xHP. Thoughts? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:48 AM   #21
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

The CS flash tends to shift faster even if you have the Shift knob selector on 1 Bar compared to stock without that super harsh shift feeling. I would recommend going no higher than 2 bars when selecting your shift aggression on the handle. 2 bar will be quick and snappy but wouldn’t feel like the Tranmission is bucking super hard.

The CS TCU is actually quite nice if you plan to not tune past OTS Stage 1 or Stage 2 pump gas ECU tunes. It’s only once you go custom tune where the tuner ups the Torque required of the transmission is where these cars that freaking out when shifting.

I will say the CS tune is certainly worth it if your planning to mildly mod the cars performance. The CS TCU limit in terms of performance mod breakdown I would say is as follows:

- Downpipes (Catted/Catless)
- Intakes
- Midpipes/FullExhaust
- JB4/Dahler/Racechip or Femto (BM3/MHD OTS Maps 91-93 OCT)

If you plan on mix matching any of these combinations you will be fine 👍 I would still recommend the CS tune as it does tune the steering, suspension and diff. The steering does feel more refined and slightly heavier which I like compared to the super light and somewhat flimsy feel stock. If money is not of concern I would get both. First flash the CS Tune to get the steering, suspension and diff tuning, then secondly flash XHP to override the CS TCU tune to specifically refine the Transmission. XHP will not reset the steering, suspension and diff portion the CS tune provides, so I feel the price point is still worth it.

If choosing 1 or the other I would still prefer XHP as it will overall be the better of the 2 in terms of purely TCU tunes.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 11:54 AM   #22
Unforgiven300
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The CS flash tends to shift faster even if you have the Shift knob selector on 1 Bar compared to stock without that super harsh shift feeling. I would recommend going no higher than 2 bars when selecting your shift aggression on the handle. 2 bar will be quick and snappy but wouldn’t feel like the Tranmission is bucking super hard.

The CS TCU is actually quite nice if you plan to not tune past OTS Stage 1 or Stage 2 pump gas ECU tunes. It’s only once you go custom tune where the tuner ups the Torque required of the transmission is where these cars that freaking out when shifting.

I will say the CS tune is certainly worth it if your planning to mildly mod the cars performance. The CS TCU limit in terms of performance mod breakdown I would say is as follows:

- Downpipes (Catted/Catless)
- Intakes
- Midpipes/FullExhaust
- JB4/Dahler/Racechip or Femto (BM3/MHD OTS Maps 91-93 OCT)

If you plan on mix matching any of these combinations you will be fine 👍 I would still recommend the CS tune as it does tune the steering, suspension and diff. The steering does feel more refined and slightly heavier which I like compared to the super light and somewhat flimsy feel stock. If money is not of concern I would get both. First flash the CS Tune to get the steering, suspension and diff tuning, the secondly flash XHP to override the CS TCU tune to specifically refine the Transmission. XHP will not reset the steering, suspension and diff portion the CS tune provides, so I feel the price point is still worth it.

If choosing 1 or the other I would still prefer. XHP as it will [...]
You stole my thought/plan. Once I get the downpipes installed, I will get the XHP transmission tune. So far, the CS flash is working well with my Dinan CAI and JB4 map 3.
Appreciate 0