BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

01-30-2024, 10:52 AM   #1
ArcticBlueM440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 iX, 21 m440i cvt (RIP)

Route preferences

Under route criteria the only options are things like "use highways" or "avoid tolls." I can't figure out a way to have it choose the fastest route. Though FWIW on my previous bmw even choosing the "fastest route" setting didn't usually work - ie it would always choose a shorter route that took longer.

I wonder if this has something to do with my preferred (and almost always faster) route to work has a long stretch of a two-line local highway, and it always tries to get me to take the major highways, even though it's slower.

I mean it's not that big a deal since I know I always have to go into alternate routes, but it would be nice if it got it right automatically...

I have charging on route setting turned off as I only charge at home, so that's not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 11:05 AM   #2
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlueM440i View Post
Under route criteria the only options are things like "use highways" or "avoid tolls." I can't figure out a way to have it choose the fastest route. Though FWIW on my previous bmw even choosing the "fastest route" setting didn't usually work - ie it would always choose a shorter route that took longer.

I wonder if this has something to do with my preferred (and almost always faster) route to work has a long stretch of a two-line local highway, and it always tries to get me to take the major highways, even though it's slower.

I mean it's not that big a deal since I know I always have to go into alternate routes, but it would be nice if it got it right automatically...

I have charging on route setting turned off as I only charge at home, so that's not an issue.
Some routing decisions the car makes are due to metadata that is not visible to you. For instance, there is a part of a street near my house that the car's nav refuses to route us through because it was marked as an unpaved road (saw it on the map editor for Here maps). I updated the map online about a year ago but the change has yet to trickle down into my car so it keeps presenting us with nonsensical alternative routes. It may be worth your while to see how far along your desired route the car's nav gives you the correct route and see if you can spot where it deviates. That may point you to a section that has some old, invalid metadata associated with it which can explain the behavior.

My understanding is that the car should be trying to route you as fast as possible by default. It may present you an alternative route that has less mileage but is slower but the first route should be what it thinks is the fastest.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:39 PM   #3
BritInTheUSA
In a world of my own
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX xDrive50

Garage List
Shouldn't it also learn your preferred routes to common places? I thought that was part of the "learning" navigation BMWs had? I presume iX has this, unless BMW retired it?
      01-30-2024, 12:52 PM   #4
ArcticBlueM440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 iX, 21 m440i cvt (RIP)

Hadn't thought of that....maybe! Though I've done the drive maybe 10-15 times already... I think there's just something about this road that it always tries to choose a different one. Maybe because it seems more like a local road....not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:57 PM   #5
Tigershark321
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
BMW North America called me as a follow-up on how my experience with the iX has been and I told them how the navigation routing from South to North at a specific area wants me to exit, take 4 left turns, and get back on the same interstate again. Unnecessary to do that but I reported it. They asked me to send them a photo of the navigation where it happens and describe the route so they could forward it to their software engineering dept. I never knew there was another level of BMW genius (she described it as BMW Genius 2.0 as a step above dealerships) but here I am letting it all loose giving my own personal recommendations to address and change in the software and touch points.
Appreciate 1