BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2024, 02:06 PM   #1
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

New tyre chat

Hi all,

UK based X3 M40i owner. I have a split set up

Front 245 40 r21
Rear 275 35 r21

I don’t really care much for run flats anymore I’d rather get none run flat and a better all round tyre but I’m struggling to find any for it.

When I add the sizes into black circles or Costco only Bridgestone run flats come back and I am a Michelin man or Pirelli rather than Bridgestone.

Anyone got any guidance on what they went for recently?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 02:23 PM   #2
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Michelin PS4S if you’re looking for a summer tire.
Appreciate 1
bouchy84.50
      02-13-2024, 02:37 PM   #3
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by richatha View Post
Hi all,

UK based X3 M40i owner. I have a split set up

Front 245 40 r21
Rear 275 35 r21

I don’t really care much for run flats anymore I’d rather get none run flat and a better all round tyre but I’m struggling to find any for it.

When I add the sizes into black circles or Costco only Bridgestone run flats come back and I am a Michelin man or Pirelli rather than Bridgestone.

Anyone got any guidance on what they went for recently?

Thanks!

Are you bothered about them being BMW * rated ? These are apparently specifically developed for BMW cars, and are different to the the same size and brand without the * mark.

BMW appear to setup the M40 suspension and Xdrive based on * run flat tyre characteristics.

Discussion from another forum -

“ From my contact at Michelin:

"It’s hard to define exactly what the construction differences are between standard and BMW tyres, as this is never disclosed. What we can say is that you only have to look at R117 labelling to see there are differences to these tyres, they’re certainly not the same. The * marked tyre will be tuned to meet the specific vehicle handling characteristics from BMW to offer best performance for a certain model. There will be differences in weight of each tyre, different attributes in terms of wet/dry/Rolling Resistance performance which could also include a slight change to tread pattern and tread depth & compound."

So while a non-star tyre might well be compatible in terms of rolling circumference I think it would be worthwhile getting the star marked version when there is one available. Shop around and the price difference shouldn't be too great.”

Last edited by avi66; 02-14-2024 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
dinan5m34455.00
richatha167.00
      02-13-2024, 02:40 PM   #4
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

There's really not much options for OE 21" size. It's mostly Michelin and Pirellis. Here in the US, there's also Dunlop on the same OE size, but I'm not sure in UK and if you trust Dunlop enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:01 PM   #5
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

I have the same setup but with the 20 inch wheels and I changed to the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4S. These tires are a game changer for this vehicle. I'm familiar with the 4S because I had them on all of my other performance vehicles but decided to go with the all season so I wouldn't have to worry in the winter about the cold temps and summer tires. The all-season version does not sacrifice much and what it does sacrifice it makes up for in being able to be used all year long. The feel is 10 times better than any run-flat.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 09:29 PM   #6
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
I have the same setup but with the 20 inch wheels and I changed to the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4S. These tires are a game changer for this vehicle. I'm familiar with the 4S because I had them on all of my other performance vehicles but decided to go with the all season so I wouldn't have to worry in the winter about the cold temps and summer tires. The all-season version does not sacrifice much and what it does sacrifice it makes up for in being able to be used all year long. The feel is 10 times better than any run-flat.
Such a bold claim. Seems you have not tried the 'better ones' yet
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:25 AM   #7
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

Thanks all for the suggestions! I am not bothered about having the * tbh! I’m not going to be reaching the performance limit that BMW would spec.

Interesting about the 4s all season I couldn’t see them anywhere inc the Michelin website. I saw standard 4s cross climate & primacy 4+.

Not sure cross climate would be great in the summer which leads me to the 4s but I wonder how useless they’ll be in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:05 AM   #8
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by richatha View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions! I am not bothered about having the * tbh! I’m not going to be reaching the performance limit that BMW would spec.

Interesting about the 4s all season I couldn’t see them anywhere inc the Michelin website. I saw standard 4s cross climate & primacy 4+.

Not sure cross climate would be great in the summer which leads me to the 4s but I wonder how useless they’ll be in the winter.
You can get Pirelli BMW * RFT in the correct size, but I’m not sure Costco will source.

The 245 Alenza * is around £296 fitted at my local Costco, and there are no multiple discounts on that manufacturer at present.

I don’t think * is about pushing the performance limit or anywhere close. Non * tyres can invalidate warranty claims for Xdrive, as apparently, the * tyre shoulder design is different, as is weight tolerance for xdrive.

My understanding is BMW use their custom tyre spec in the design and testing process for a specific model, including suspension setup etc, which is setup around this, particularly RFT characteristics. So the concepts of I prefer brand X as always being best for any car is a myth imo. A little like wanting to use your favourite brand oil which doesn’t meet BMW spec lol.

If you’re out of warranty then just cost to you.
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 02-14-2024 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:21 AM   #9
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
Such a bold claim. Seems you have not tried the 'better ones' yet
I've owned a lot of performance cars in my time and have tried them all. The Michelin Pilot Sport series are the best at what they do
Appreciate 0