BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

02-13-2024, 05:29 PM   #1
TravelMama19
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix

Sudden Acceleration!!

I was leaving for work today I go get in my car like I normally do. I started the car, tried to put the car in reverse but the very second I took it out park it accelerated forward and went through both the gates on my yard!! The brakes completely failed as I pressed them they completely locked up!! The only way I was able to stop it was by pressing the button and turning the car off and yet it still continue accelerate. I DID NOT ACCIDENTALLY PRESS THE GUESS SO THATS COMPLETELY OUT THE QUESTION. Literally started the car, attempted to put the car in reverse and it took off out of nowhere and went forward!! How do I report this, I want to have this investigated!! My foot was still on the brake because to get from Park to Reverse obviously your foot has to be in the brake but soon as I took it out of park it went forward. I have about $500 worth of gate damage and my car is damaged. I just want to figure out how I can have this investigated. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 05:50 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
You don't mention the type of car you were driving, but your profile just shows a 3 Series. An ICE vehicle and an EV have different types of transmissions, but all BMWs have an onboard data recorder, accessible by the dealership, and it will show, among other things, when and if the throttle and/or brake were pressed, and the sequence, the speed of the car and the gear it was in. Your insurance company will want this data in the event you file a claim. What it will almost certainly show is that you put the car in drive thinking it was in reverse, and pressed the accelerator thinking it was the brake. Not a criticism or judgement, but the same thing has happened to countless other drivers who were absolutely confident they had pressed the brake instead. It happens. The data recorder will provide the definitive answer.
Appreciate 4
LVBMW1623.50
deutsch1004109.50
Pictor1743.50
      02-13-2024, 05:51 PM   #3
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMama19 View Post
I was leaving for work today I go get in my car like I normally do. I started the car, tried to put the car in reverse but the very second I took it out park it accelerated forward and went through both the gates on my yard!! The brakes completely failed as I pressed them they completely locked up!! The only way I was able to stop it was by pressing the button and turning the car off and yet it still continue accelerate. I DID NOT ACCIDENTALLY PRESS THE GUESS SO THATS COMPLETELY OUT THE QUESTION. Literally started the car, attempted to put the car in reverse and it took off out of nowhere and went forward!! How do I report this, I want to have this investigated!! My foot was still on the brake because to get from Park to Reverse obviously your foot has to be in the brake but soon as I took it out of park it went forward. I have about $500 worth of gate damage and my car is damaged. I just want to figure out how I can have this investigated. Thank you
I'm sorry to hear this, but you're in the iX forum. Your profile says you have a 328i x-drive (totally different vehicle). I would suspect contacting your insurance company and dealer would be a start rather than posting on a forum (just a thought). You could certainly post in the respective 3-series forum and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Appreciate 3
deutsch1004109.50
Paladin15644.50
ZoomiX52.50
      02-14-2024, 05:11 AM   #4
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
This sounds like some kind of SPAM bot message! As explained...NOT possible!
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2024, 08:14 AM   #5
Windshieldfarmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Two posts…I don’t think so unless blood alcohol is ^^^. Not worth a response. Trying to get someone else to pay for stupid….
Appreciate 3
deutsch1004109.50
ricerboi908.00
      02-14-2024, 09:41 PM   #6
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

I reported it as spam.
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2024, 11:26 PM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Just as information, the OP posted in the 3 Series forum following this, on a thread where a similar instance was under discussion. So wrong forum, but it appears to be a legitimate post by an inexperienced driver rather than trolling. Benefit of the doubt.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004109.50
ZoomiX52.50
      02-15-2024, 03:47 AM   #8
RixT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

I think its very easy to dismiss these reports without taking into account human perception and ability to deal with unseen situations. Humans make mistakes and where actions don't equate to expected outcomes, confusion and cognitive processing limits prevent reacting correctly to a rapidly changing situation. The "Invisible Gorilla" shows how directed attention, even in simple situations, results in missing something obvious. Musk is partially (but arrogantly not totally) correct when he says that most driver input is in error so something needs to eliminate that.

DAS should prevent this with sensors and rules. The triggering of Cruise control from low speeds and the firmware update is a good indication of at-fault design that needed correction. Last week having been on cruise control, I touched the On/Off button on a mini roundabout and a message akin to 'not available at this time' briefly displayed. That would have been a dangerous situation if acceleration occurred. Thankfully I had the software fix. Hopefully Neue Klasse creates a driver experience that is free of this type of problem.
Appreciate 2