BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2024, 01:08 PM   #1
ProsperX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Edge- Titanium

Overvoltage problem 2023 X3 sDrive

Our 2023 X3's check engine light illuminated last month. I made a service appointment and was able to take it in the next day at 7:30am. They replaced what they said was a bad sensor and after resetting everything handed me the keys back after about four hours of work and said it was good to go.

Two weeks later the light comes back on. Made another appointment and once again dropped the car off at 7:30am the next day. This time they immediately gave me a loan car. That was six days ago. They still have my car, and the last that I've heard from them was when the service advisor told me over the phone (on day two) that it's an overvoltage problem and that all of the vehicle's "modules" (whatever that is) are showing an overvoltage condition even though after checking they have measured a correct voltage (14.7v) coming from the alternator itself. He said this was something they've never seen before in an X3 and have already elevated the issue up to the national level with BMW N.A. He gave no estimate on when we might get our car back.

This is our first BMW after a lifetime of Ford and Honda products, none of which ever had any electrical problems.

Overvoltage issues on an X3. Anyone out there in bimmerland ever have a problem such as this?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:54 PM   #2
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperX3 View Post
Our 2023 X3's check engine light illuminated last month. I made a service appointment and was able to take it in the next day at 7:30am. They replaced what they said was a bad sensor and after resetting everything handed me the keys back after about four hours of work and said it was good to go.

Two weeks later the light comes back on. Made another appointment and once again dropped the car off at 7:30am the next day. This time they immediately gave me a loan car. That was six days ago. They still have my car, and the last that I've heard from them was when the service advisor told me over the phone (on day two) that it's an overvoltage problem and that all of the vehicle's "modules" (whatever that is) are showing an overvoltage condition even though after checking they have measured a correct voltage (14.7v) coming from the alternator itself. He said this was something they've never seen before in an X3 and have already elevated the issue up to the national level with BMW N.A. He gave no estimate on when we might get our car back.

This is our first BMW after a lifetime of Ford and Honda products, none of which ever had any electrical problems.

Overvoltage issues on an X3. Anyone out there in bimmerland ever have a problem such as this?
“Prosper X3”… as in, N DFW? If so, curious which dealership you are at…?

Have not heard of this issue (before), but there’s always a first. I wouldn’t sweat it too much just yet… let’s see what they say after doing some digging.
Appreciate 0