BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Interior Modifications

02-18-2024, 09:39 PM   #1
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

BMW M Performance Steering wheel Pro

Hi All,

So have a question. I was looking around the M Performance website and I saw the BMW M Performance Steering wheel Pro for the G87. The price is pretty steep but I figure my hands are always going to be touching it when I drive so why not.

My question though is that I noticed it says it says "without cover". Does that mean I have to Also purchase the airbag cover, along with the trim and paddle shifters as well? I believe the M Performance Steering Wheel Trim is $650 and then the paddle shifters is another $650....sheeeesh. At least tell me, if I ordered that would that be something that could be port installed or put together at the dealership?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:29 AM   #2
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

You can get identical carbon fiber paddles on Aliexpress for $39 and steering wheel trim for about $120. I put them in my wife's X3MC and they are identical to the paddles & trim in my M2.

Also, take the part #s you find on the M Performance site and go to www.bmwpartscenter.com. You'll save a lot of money on OEM parts.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76842.00
      02-19-2024, 07:50 AM   #3
Ronin76
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
You can get identical carbon fiber paddles on Aliexpress for $39 and steering wheel trim for about $120. I put them in my wife's X3MC and they are identical to the paddles & trim in my M2.

Also, take the part #s you find on the M Performance site and go to www.bmwpartscenter.com. You'll save a lot of money on OEM parts.
Thanks for the response and the reply. Would the service department be able to install the wheel? I am not mechanically inclined and don't have the courage of taking off the OEM steering wheel and putting on the new one without messing up somehow.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 08:06 AM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
Thanks for the response and the reply. Would the service department be able to install the wheel? I am not mechanically inclined and don't have the courage of taking off the OEM steering wheel and putting on the new one without messing up somehow.
Of course they can, and it'll probably cost quite a bit. Replacing steering wheels is pretty easy, even for someone not very mechanically inclined. I have a custom steering wheel I'll be installing in a couple weeks when I have a free day. I've done it on my Corvettes multiple times, and can easily be done by a newbie in under an hour.

Generally, disconnect the battery, pop the airbag cover, unclip a couple connectors, remove 1 bolt, then reverse the process.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76842.00
      02-19-2024, 06:53 PM   #5
Sculpin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 8Y RS3

Is this the one you're looking at?

Your current airbag, trim, and paddles are all re-used. You won't need to purchase anything additional. If you click the "Show More" link there are two part numbers shown. The first is the wheel and the second is for the cover. The cover is needed for manual transmission cars. It consists of two parts that cover the holes where the paddles would go.

I'm speaking from experience. I put the OEM M3 CS wheel in my car. I only bought the wheel and the covers (my car is a manual).

Here's a video that shows the whole process of swapping the wheel. I had a local shop do it and they charged me an hour of labor.

1995 E36 M3 (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:30 PM   #6
Ronin76
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpin View Post
Is this the one you're looking at?

Your current airbag, trim, and paddles are all re-used. You won't need to purchase anything additional. If you click the "Show More" link there are two part numbers shown. The first is the wheel and the second is for the cover. The cover is needed for manual transmission cars. It consists of two parts that cover the holes where the paddles would go.

I'm speaking from experience. I put the OEM M3 CS wheel in my car. I only bought the wheel and the covers (my car is a manual).

Here's a video that shows the whole process of swapping the wheel. I had a local shop do it and they charged me an hour of labor.

Yes, that is the wheel. I am assuming the parts could also get swapped out with the auto as well. If true, that is great. I can get the standard wheel with the car and then order the performance wheel from BMW Part Center and have my shop swap out the parts and instal...NICE!

Thank you for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 08:01 PM   #7
G87Mark
Modaholic
Rep
Drives: ’24 MT M2

I just put on an all Alcantara wheel from AutoID, took this pic along the way:

My car is manual transmission, original wheel is on the right. You can see the new one on the left has 'holes' where the paddle shifters mount. The covers go in the holes if you have a stick and no paddles to move over.

I tried to get the covers from my local dealer. List price is supposedly $105 but they wanted $150, so I got them online for $101 shipped. They'll get here later this week.

BMW part number is 32-30-5-A29-D29

Prior rides:
‘99 T/A, ‘01 Vette, ‘07 Vette, ‘12 GS CE Vette, ‘16 Vette (R.I.P.), ‘18 1LE Camaro, ‘17 GS vert Vette
Appreciate 2
Ronin76842.00
M2-Bob245.00
      02-19-2024, 08:07 PM   #8
Ronin76
Captain
Rep

This community is awesome. I never had a BMW before so am really excited about getting this M2. Having such a knowledgeable community is a great resource to help navigating through these modification questions as I have never modded a car before.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:26 AM   #9
baj_baj
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I would honestly wait a bit and get the new wheel from the facelifted M3/M4. There are some already available on ebay
Appreciate 1
Ronin76842.00
      02-20-2024, 08:29 AM   #10
Ronin76
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj_baj View Post
I would honestly wait a bit and get the new wheel from the facelifted M3/M4. There are some already available on ebay
Dealership told me I have about a year wait (which I do not mind) and there are 4 people ahead of me so I an hoping that is enough time to see some changes to the wheels and maybe the color of the car. Really hoping for a voodoo blue that was mentioned in a thread in the general topics section on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:09 AM   #11
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

You can also look into aftermarket steering wheels. I have this one waiting to be installed when I have a free weekend.

*there is a slight issue with the wheel & I'm waiting to see if the vendor is going to correct it before I recommend them.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76842.00