home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-08-2024, 02:01 PM   #1
M2TR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Hi all,

I recently leased a 24’ M2 for 3 years and thought it was coming with Michelin PS4AS. It actually came with staggered Pirelli PZeros. This is where my dillema begins:

I am in the midwest and plan to daily drive. We get a few winter storms a year but I won’t be needing to drive during them. Mostly concerned about the Pirelli’s in cold temps 7 months out of the year.

I’ve decided on getting Continental Extreme Contact DWS A/S and this raised some more questions. Do I go staggered? Should I buy dedicated wheels for the Contis? Will the Pirelli’s get damaged if I take them off the stock wheels?

If I do get dedicated wheels for the Conti’s, which wheels will fit and give me as close to stock look as possible from a fitment perspective for a reasonable price?

Sorry if these are silly questions and thanks for all your help & insight in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:54 PM   #2
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
I also live in a winter climate and don't have to drive if weather is terrible.

My approach is to make the stock wheels my winter wheels. They are heavy cast wheels, so getting something lighter/higher performance for summer makes more sense to me then spending money on winter wheels.

I will probably use the stock wheels for one or two summers while I burn through the original tires before I go to a slightly different setup.

There are lots of options out there, but if you want to stay close to OEM visually I think the 923M or something is basically the forged version of the stock wheels. You can also look for used take off wheels from M3/M4s.
Appreciate 1
baron951721.50
      03-08-2024, 03:51 PM   #3
M2TR
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post

My approach is to make the stock wheels my winter wheels. They are heavy cast wheels, so getting something lighter/higher performance for summer makes more sense to me then spending money on winter wheels.

I will probably use the stock wheels for one or two summers while I burn through the original tires before I go to a slightly different setup.

There are lots of options out there, but if you want to stay close to OEM visually I think the 923M or something is basically the forged version of the stock wheels. You can also look for used take off wheels from M3/M4s.
Thats a good point about using the stock wheels as winter wheels. Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 11:14 AM   #4
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I have not heard of any G87's coming with any all season tires, just the summer michelins or pirellis. I'm in MN so I would have loved this option from the factory as well. Instead I bought the same Conti's you did and put them on my stock wheels. My current plan is just to swap the all seasons and summers on and off the stock wheels. This is not a recommended plan if you asked folks here on the forum but it's what I will do.

I do like the idea of having a 2nd set of wheels to avoid the risk of wear and tear with frequent tire swaps. If you are budgeting for two sets of wheels that is probably the way to go. I don't know enough about wheel/tire setups to provide advice on staggered vs squared setups aside from assuming it would be easier to get rid of squared setups if you ever wanted to sell them.
Ravenseal2883.00
      03-09-2024, 02:41 PM   #5
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I had the PZeros on my 330e and they were great tires. I have the PS4S on my M2, and honestly, I don't notice any difference between the two for daily driving. If you're not going to be driving during winter storms, save your money. The PZeros on my 330e were replaced at 31k miles with still 5/32nds of tread remaining, only because a BMW tech destroyed one when he removed it to check my TPMS that had broken (whole different story).

I'd have no issue buying the PZeros again.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3707.50
      03-09-2024, 02:44 PM   #6
M2TR
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I had the PZeros on my 330e and they were great tires. I have the PS4S on my M2, and honestly, I don't notice any difference between the two for daily driving. If you're not going to be driving during winter storms, save your money. The PZeros on my 330e were replaced at 31k miles with still 5/32nds of tread remaining, only because a BMW tech destroyed one when he removed it to check my TPMS that had broken (whole different story).

I'd have no issue buying the PZeros again.
Hey, thanks for your insight. You were ok driving in below 45f in the PZeros? Its about low 40’s here in Michigan with dry roads and I have no grip in 1st/2nd pulls.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 03:09 PM   #7
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2TR View Post
Hey, thanks for your insight. You were ok driving in below 45f in the PZeros? Its about low 40’s here in Michigan with dry roads and I have no grip in 1st/2nd pulls.
Well, I wasn't doing any pulls in sub 45 degree temps, but the tires handled fine in all conditions (no snow here). Many days of my morning commute in the winter months were below 45. Tbh, you're not going to have much grip with A/S tires in those conditions either until the tires are properly warmed up.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76843.50
      03-09-2024, 04:37 PM   #8
M2TR
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Well, I wasn't doing any pulls in sub 45 degree temps, but the tires handled fine in all conditions (no snow here). Many days of my morning commute in the winter months were below 45. Tbh, you're not going to have much grip with A/S tires in those conditions either until the tires are properly warmed up.
Gotchya. I’m just worried about temps between 10-32 which is very often in the winter months here in Michigan. Regardless, I’ll keep the thread updated with what I do and my experience. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 07:14 PM   #9
Excoastal
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

I’m on the staggered Pirellis in Chicago. It’s 38 here currently and I haven’t noticed any issues with traction under normal driving conditions. I was actually just out in the car this afternoon and turned off the DSC to see if I could get it to break loose and there was more traction than I’d expected.

We’ve had wild swings in temperature throughout February and March so far and I’d say the PZeros have performed pretty well in anything other than sub twenty degree temps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-10-2024, 09:05 PM   #10
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post

This is exactly what I did. I bought take-off 826M G80 wheels for summer/track, and I'll convert my OEM 930M wheels to A/S or winter tires (if they ever become available in OEM sizes).

OP, if you don't need to drive in nasty frozen weather, the DWS will work well. Buy them in stock OEM sizes. Mounting and unmounting these tires a few times will not harm them. So you can swap them until you buy a second set of wheels.
      03-10-2024, 09:13 PM   #11
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
At 32-40F in the dry, you need to be careful first mile or two until you get some heat in the tires. Put the tire temps on the display. When the tires hit 50F (about a mile or two) they have decent traction. When they hit 70F they have good traction. At 100F and above (hard to get to in the street in the winter) they have basically 90%+ of their traction.

If there is any frozen stuff on the ground, or even a chance of encountering any don't drive it. I would not go much below 32F even in the dry. Maybe 28F is my limit on PS4S/PZERO Star on absolutely dry/clean roads and very cautious warm up.

Last edited by baron95; 03-13-2024 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sebis188.00
      03-11-2024, 10:42 AM   #12
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Hi all,

I recently leased a 24’ M2 for 3 years and thought it was coming with Michelin PS4AS. It actually came with staggered Pirelli PZeros. This is where my dillema begins:

I am in the midwest and plan to daily drive. We get a few winter storms a year but I won’t be needing to drive during them. Mostly concerned about the Pirelli’s in cold temps 7 months out of the year.

I’ve decided on getting Continental Extreme Contact DWS A/S and this raised some more questions. Do I go staggered? Should I buy dedicated wheels for the Contis? Will the Pirelli’s get damaged if I take them off the stock wheels?

If I do get dedicated wheels for the Conti’s, which wheels will fit and give me as close to stock look as possible from a fitment perspective for a reasonable price?

Sorry if these are silly questions and thanks for all your help & insight in advance!
My SOP with my cars with high performance tires is to leave the tires on the car and just avoid driving the car in cold/bad weather. Of course I have a 2nd vehicle that I can use when it is not prudent to use the car fitted with high performance tires.

In CA where I lived until July 2020 cold/snow was not a problem with my day to day use. However, on my road trips I did encounter cold temperatures and even snow even though I planned a route to avoid bad winter weather. While the tires were high performance I managed to avoid any issues. But I was lucky and I don't recommend one follow my (bad) example and count on having the same good luck as me.

But since leaving CA for NW Arkansas where here there is real winter weather I have had a 2nd vehicle fitted with tires that were suitable to use in cold weather. Since last Dec 1 my 2nd car has been a 2024 BMW 230i xDrive fitted with Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/40 R19 tires. I leave my M2 parked in its garage and drive my 230xi. Only when the roads are clear and dry and temps are >40F do I take the M2 out.

To be sure even though the temperature is above 40F when I take the M2 out I still keep it in mind the high performance tire performance could certainly be compromised even if the temperature is above 40F.

Word is high performance tires do not like being dismounted and mounted. Best to mount them and leave them mounted.

So if you want to fit suitable tires for driving in cold weather and if this includes when road conditions are snowy/icy my advice would be to get a set of proper winter/snow tires and a set of wheels for them.

(As an aside since the vehicle is leased when your time with the car is over with a good set of winter wheels and possibly still good winter tires could probably be sold to recoup some of your cost in purchasing these items.)

As for the wheel sizes/tires I would refer you to BMW to learn what wheel and winter/snow tires it sanctions. What sizes and this includes if it is ok to fit wheels/tires that are not staggered.

Another source for this info could be Tire Rack.

If you want to use the wheels that came with the car as the winter wheels and provided you can find suitable (and BMW sanctioned) winter/snow tires to fit the wheels that's fine. And for summer driving then get another set of wheels that the high performance tires you have taken off the OEM wheels will fit.

(What is your risk level if the wheels suffer from the winter usage that you could be dinged for subpar wheel condition when you bring the car back when the lease is up?)

Regarding the summer driving set of wheels...I would caution you against selecting a too exotic wheel. My limited driving experience in Michigan is the roads are pretty terrible. I would be very concerned running a too an exotic wheel for fear the wheels could not hold up.

When I lived in KC MO I encountered many owners of cars fitted with exotic wheels. The wheels (with few exceptions) looked very good. But even in that area the roads were rough and wheel damage was a thing to be concerned about.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:23 AM   #13
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Both the Michelin and Pirelli tires that come on these new M2 are summer only tires. Neither should be driven outside of their operating range ( usually under 45 degrees ). This is not only because of traction issues, both starting AND stopping and turning, but also because driving in too cold of temperatures causes that rubber compound to stiffen and potentially crack or even chip.

And having lived in the Upper Midwest my entire long life I'm use to weather conditions changing often without notice. You maybe drive to work in 50 degree weather only to have to leave in freezing temps with snow.

Running the summers in cold weather isn't worth the risk. I myself bought a set of the Conti DWS 06 Plus ( have had them on many vehicles and love them) and for now will run them year round (I don't have to drive the car in the winter unless I want to).

Once my new wheels arrive I'll put the Contis on them and then maybe buy a set of winters to put on the OEM wheels. Just have to see.

If nothing else I'll run the Contis year round. I don't track the car nor do I speed racer it around the town so I don't need summer only tires.

If you have to run your car year round you have a few choices, but I'd never run the summers in the cold. The risk isn't worth it.
Ravenseal2883.00
lithe31.00
      03-31-2024, 11:45 AM   #14
Alfadreamer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: g80 2021 Toronto red

I put Vredstein Wintrac Pro “All Weather” 275/35-19 front and 275/30-20 rear on stock rims on my g80. They were great last winter. Its spring and I still like them. They were~$1000 from TireRack. I’ll be leaving them on, year round. Rears only 0.1 bigger dia than front. Car came with Michelins.
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      04-16-2024, 08:09 AM   #15
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfadreamer View Post
I put Vredstein Wintrac Pro “All Weather” 275/35-19 front and 275/30-20 rear on stock rims on my g80. They were great last winter. Its spring and I still like them. They were~$1000 from TireRack. I’ll be leaving them on, year round. Rears only 0.1 bigger dia than front. Car came with Michelins.
I plan on getting these for my winter tires. Can’t beat that price.
Appreciate 0