home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Exterior Modifications

04-04-2024, 06:34 AM   #1
jessejericho
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT

Yellow DRL Products

Hey all, first post, picked up my black 6MT 2 weeks ago. I ordered a yellow DRL kit from a US distributor, and after all is said and done I will have paid over $500 CAD for the set. I checked AliExpress this morning, and you can buy what looks like the same kit for under $100 CAD.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...l-bmw-g87.html

Anyone have experience with these? I'm guessing they all come from the same place.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:43 AM   #2
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

I did the same thing for my Mini Cooper JCW and my F87. Looking at the modules I bought & the pics of the ones I see on various aftermarket BMW parts sites - they're exactly the same thing. These other sites are getting the same LED modules and just marking them up like crazy. I've had the ones on my F87 for over a year, zero issues. They've been installed on my F56 for about 8 mos, again, no issues.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 11:39 AM   #3
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Buying modules or chips on appearance is a real crap shoot. You have no idea what’s inside.

Which of these is real?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aerobod3707.50
      04-04-2024, 12:43 PM   #4
jessejericho
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Buying modules or chips on appearance is a real crap shoot. You have no idea what’s inside.

Which of these is real?
I hear what you are saying, but the fact is that the DRL chips being offered by shops like AutoID don't have any kind of branding. They say "our modules", etc:

https://autoid.co/products/bmw-2-ser...odule-set-2021

I think it is pretty safe to say that they are buying them wholesale from China, hell probably from AliExpress, and then marking them up as their own product. Nothing wrong with that of course, but probably not worth paying a 400% markup.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT677.50
      04-04-2024, 12:45 PM   #5
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejericho View Post
I hear what you are saying, but the fact is that the DRL chips being offered by shops like AutoID don't have any kind of branding. They say "our modules", etc:

I think it is pretty safe to say that they are buying them wholesale from China, hell probably from AliExpress, and then marking them up as their own product. Nothing wrong with that of course, but probably not worth paying a 400% markup.
It’s not safe to say with my dollars.
Spend yours as you choose.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 01:17 PM   #6
jessejericho
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It’s not safe to say with my dollars.
Spend yours as you choose.
So if you wanted to buy these, you would pay $500 from AutoID, instead of $100 from AliExpress, with no indication from AutoID of where they come from or how they are different? Is it just a general distrust of AliExpress, or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 01:35 PM   #7
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if you wanted to buy these, you would pay $500 from AutoID, instead of $100 from AliExpress, with no indication from AutoID of where they come from or how they are different? Is it just a general distrust of AliExpress, or am I missing something?
First, there is no indication they’re identical. You’re assuming which IMO is not very wise.
Second, how and why I spend money is none of your business.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 02:13 PM   #8
jessejericho
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
First, there is no indication they’re identical. You’re assuming which IMO is not very wise.
Second, how and why I spend money is none of your business.
Technically, nothing you do is any of my business, but we're on a discussion forum and I am asking for advice, and you are replying to my questions. Clearly not trying to pry into your financial decisions.

In your other post, you asked "which of these is real". What does "real" mean in this scenario? The product image on AutoID's site is the exact same image used in many AliExpress listings. There is no branding or logo on the modules, nor is there a company name attached to them. The AutoID listing has no more or less info on the product manufacturer than the AliExpress one does.

I can see from your other posts that you have yellow DRLs, and I'm guessing from your tone that you (like me) bought them from a US source for more than $100 (again, not trying to pry). Is there some kind of indication on yours that they are more "real" than the AliExpress ones? Like a marking of some kind that sets them apart?

IND lists their DRL chips as "Motorsport+" brand, which seems to be an IND sub-brand. The image of the modules is the same as AutoID (though AutoID doesn't claim they are selling "Motorsport+"), and also used in several AliExpress listings.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...led-module-set

MODE does the same thing, calling them "Luminosa", and while there is a photo of some kind of module on the product page, the photo does not depict a g87 module:

https://modeautoconcepts.com/en-ca/p...for-bmw-m2-g87

BimmerPlug claims they "exclusively craft" their DRL chips, but don't feature a photo of the actual product:

https://bimmerplug.com/products/csl-...2-g42-2-series

I would conclude that they are reselling these modules at a big markup, and that they are likely all very similar, if not identical. There is no information on any of those sites that would indicate otherwise. I guess the only way to find out is to contact the various sellers and ask. I'll report back if I find out anything interesting.

Last edited by jessejericho; 04-04-2024 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
SDKevin85.00
      04-04-2024, 05:08 PM   #9
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:

This right here - anytime I've searched for these DRL modules, the results are unbranded modules. You either wind up on a BMW enthusiast parts site, ebay or aliexpress (or other chinese site). To my eyes, they're exactly the same in appearance. And no branding on any of them.

I compared my F87 modules to OEM & they are allllllmost identical. The big difference is in the thickness of the metal chip plate. BMW being slightly thicker.

Buy the ones from aliexpress. If it burns out, you can buy 3 sets for the price of one from IND, AutoID, etc...
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 08:53 PM   #10
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Carefree is right. You can't just judge it on looks alone. Manufacturing has become too cheap and easy so an identical copy isn't hard to produce.

Also, even if it is the same exact board coming from the same exact factory the major difference is in tolerances and quality assurance.

That's how the bike industry does it. Yes you can buy the no name frame, wheels, and handlebars that are produced from the same exact big brand molds in the same exact factory, but where they make up the cost is in increasing tolerances and reducing quality assurance.

That's why so many automotive carbon fiber parts from AliExpress that "look exactly the same" as the brand name counterparts have shit fitment.

I would not want to plug this thing into my headlight. But that's just me.

Maybe if it were a Civic I would not care as much.
Appreciate 3
Carefree1757.00
aerobod3707.50
      04-04-2024, 10:55 PM   #11
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Carefree is right. You can't just judge it on looks alone. Manufacturing has become too cheap and easy so an identical copy isn't hard to produce.

Also, even if it is the same exact board coming from the same exact factory the major difference is in tolerances and quality assurance.

That's how the bike industry does it. Yes you can buy the no name frame, wheels, and handlebars that are produced from the same exact big brand molds in the same exact factory, but where they make up the cost is in increasing tolerances and reducing quality assurance.

That's why so many automotive carbon fiber parts from AliExpress that "look exactly the same" as the brand name counterparts have shit fitment.

I would not want to plug this thing into my headlight. But that's just me.

Maybe if it were a Civic I would not care as much.
Yes, this is often the case in precision parts that are manufactured to tight tolerances. Bearings are a good example. An aerospace quality bearing is identical to one in a washing machine in some cases, but the aerospace one is at the 3-sigma end of the tightest tolerances closest to the ideal spec and has been tested and certified, ensuring it is sold at at least 10 times the cost of the equivalent bearing further away from the ideal spec.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 11:58 PM   #12
BMR.WRLD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2 w/CF Pkg + MP HAS

Quote:
Technically, nothing you do is any of my business, but we're on a discussion forum and I am asking for advice, and you are replying to my questions. Clearly not trying to pry into your financial decisions.

In your other post, you asked "which of these is real". What does "real" mean in this scenario? The product image on AutoID's site is the exact same image used in many AliExpress listings. There is no branding or logo on the modules, nor is there a company name attached to them. The AutoID listing has no more or less info on the product manufacturer than the AliExpress one does.

I can see from your other posts that you have yellow DRLs, and I'm guessing from your tone that you (like me) bought them from a US source for more than $100 (again, not trying to pry). Is there some kind of indication on yours that they are more "real" than the AliExpress ones? Like a marking of some kind that sets them apart?

IND lists their DRL chips as "Motorsport+" brand, which seems to be an IND sub-brand. The image of the modules is the same as AutoID (though AutoID doesn't claim they are selling "Motorsport+"), and also used in several AliExpress listings.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...led-module-set

MODE does the same thing, calling them "Luminosa", and while there is a photo of some kind of module on the product page, the photo does not depict a g87 module:

https://modeautoconcepts.com/en-ca/p...for-bmw-m2-g87

BimmerPlug claims they [...]
I agree with you. It's common sense these are all the same thing, because they are. No assumptions needed. It's much easier to resell than to build a factory for each niche product.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 07:28 AM   #13
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR.WRLD View Post
I agree with you. It's common sense these are all the same thing, because they are. No assumptions needed.
You forgot “in my opinion”.
There, I fixed it for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:44 PM   #14
Hook3549
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

I bought yellow drl from autoid about 2 months ago but it gave me faulty error code. Autoid told me there were batches of yellow drl that gave out codes and I ended up getting full refund back
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 11:37 AM   #15
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook3549 View Post
I bought yellow drl from autoid about 2 months ago but it gave me faulty error code. Autoid told me there were batches of yellow drl that gave out codes and I ended up getting full refund back
Shit happens.
The battery in our G87 failed less than a week after we took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:15 AM   #16
LAGWAGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Any progress made on this argument? I'm ready to pull the trigger, but don't feel like overpaying. Conversely, I will pay more for quality and avoid 'knock-offs'.
      04-22-2024, 07:26 AM   #17
jessejericho
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGN View Post
Any progress made on this argument? I'm ready to pull the trigger, but don't feel like overpaying. Conversely, I will pay more for quality and avoid 'knock-offs'.
So I asked IND about their "Motorsport+" DRL modules, and they told me they were manufactured by them, and that they "aren't the same" as the AliExpress units.

I bought my DRL modules (on a night after having a few beers, never drunk-shop) from European Auto Source:

https://europeanautosource.com/produ...set-bmw-g87-m2

I opened these up to install them yesterday, and there is no thermal pad on the back. They include a tube of thermal paste in the package in lieu of that, but it is a bit more fiddly. I have seen videos of people installing the Motorsport+ modules and those have a pre-applied thermal pad across the entire back of the unit.

If I could do it again, I'd buy the AliExpress modules.
Appreciate 2
LAGWAGN282.50
M24ary3.00
      04-24-2024, 05:51 AM   #18
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

I bought the IND units for my G80 M3 back in 2021. I bought the Ali Express modules for my G87 M2 a few months ago. Both worked perfectly. If I had it to do again, I’d buy the Ali Express units for both cars.
Appreciate 2
LAGWAGN282.50
M24ary3.00
      04-28-2024, 11:50 PM   #19
M24ary
M24ARY
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
I bought the IND units for my G80 M3 back in 2021. I bought the Ali Express modules for my G87 M2 a few months ago. Both worked perfectly. If I had it to do again, I’d buy the Ali Express units for both cars.
Perfect! That answers my question.
Appreciate 0