04-09-2024, 11:54 PM   #1
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Leave key fob in car and walk away | test and results

This question has come up a bit: what happens if you leave the fob in the car and walk away, locking the car with Digital Key/Plus?

Theory: based on what I know, the key fob that is left in the car is disabled by the BCP

Test: leave the fob in the car with some string tied to it and a window open. Start up, shut down and walk away allowing the car to lock using digital key plus (iOS user here). Leave phone and watch well out of range of the car, and retrieve the key.

Results: the retrieved key fob can unlock and open the car, but it cannot start the car. A warning message pops up that the key present in the car is not authorised to enable the "drive ready state"

After this test I retrieved my phone, got into the car and both the fob and digital key now work as expected again. The BCP is clever enough to know (a) which keys are present (b) which key leaves the range of the car (c) disable the key that stays in range when two keys were present to start with.
      04-10-2024, 12:25 AM   #2
jono987654321
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40 (Late 2022)

Have you tried the same test but leave phone/watch in the car & walk away with fob?
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2024, 01:05 PM   #3
jono987654321
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40 (Late 2022)

The reason I asked is, I’ve been inadvertently locked in the car whilst in the driver’s seat and in possession of my phone (with DK+)…when my wife walked away from the car with my fob in her pocket.

None of the emergency handles worked from inside the car and the only way I could open the car was with the MyBMW app (or wait for the wife to come back when she heard the car alarm). This was pre-UWB comfort open/close.
Appreciate 1
darylp310996.50