E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RixEffects Vent Gauge / Map Switcher *FOLLOW-UP REVIEW*

04-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

RixEffects Vent Gauge / Map Switcher *FOLLOW-UP REVIEW*

I have been a huge fan of the RixEffects Vent Gauge for a long time. I love the integrated design, map switching options, and accuracy of the gauge. It's funny, I was actually not a fan at all of digital gauges before this venture, and I cannot imagine going back now. Well, long story short, I did a review a few months ago about his first production gauge:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=RixEffects

The purpose of this review will be to cover some of the new features that RixEffects has included in their latest version of the Vent Gauge.

Packaging

As is always the case RixEffects, everything was packaged and protected well. The surfaces were well protected from scratches to insure you get the product without defect.

Installation

Very little is different when you upwrap the gauge.

The installation instructions remain very detailed. The kit comes with a reference card for quick reviewing of the gauge's features.

So, what is different? Good question! Wait I asked that question.

Faceplate changes

The faceplate of the gauge has traditionally be reflective black and I thought that looked fantastic. RixEffect's decided to change the faceplate to "match" the OEM look better, and I really thought that was a huge mistake because it integrated so nicely. Well, I got the new vent cover and he was right, the new faceplate is better. The gauge section remains a reflective black, while the vent section is a matte black. The matte black is a spot on match with all the trim and the other vent sections. Just an tip, do not try to peel anything off the gauge when you get it. The faceplate is ready to go when you open the package.

The color remains a spot on match.

Calibration Menu

Some new items have been created here. Now, you hold the button on the face down and press the start button a few times to access the "CAL" menu. First item is the calibration. It still references the atmosphere to get a good 0 and shows a nice "END" when completed. Remember this gauge is not using the TMAP sensor, but it is located on a "T" near the diverter valves so it does measure after intercooler or manifold pressure. This gives you very accurate boost readings, without false pre-intercooler spikes. It also shows vacuum which I like to see and can be useful if you ever have to trouble shoot a boost leak.

Valet Mode

This is a cool option. RixEffects now allows you to valet the gauge so it will not turn on when the car is started. Why would you want this? It will stay dim on dealer visits and you can lock a stock map if you valet your car. Just makes a great set of user options better.

Map Switching

The Rix gauge has always switched maps for JB3, but now does Procede maps as well. The menu allows you to choose JB3, Procede, or None. The JB3 option also allows switching of 10 maps, but I am not sure how that works yet on the 5v plug. Hopefully Rix can chime in here. The map switching still works "on the fly".

Conclusion

My conclusion remains the same. RixEffects always had a winner and now they improved on an already stellar product. The face plate looks awesome and the valet mode allows you to protect your car now. I still think this is a must, must for every tuned car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Very nice review. I bought the original pod gauge, and just purchased and installed the vent gauge last week. I can only echo how great it looks in the car.

Outstanding job Rick! Thanks for coming up with a perfect solution for us.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

very nice, now i want to upgrade my vent guage to the newest software. is it ready yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
The JB3 option also allows switching of 10 maps, but I am not sure how that works yet on the 5v plug. Hopefully Rix can chime in here. The map switching still works "on the fly".
UPDATE: Jb3 2.0 has vent gauge settings right in the user software! Just specify bc.1 - bc.4 in the jb3 software and enjoy on-the-fly switching of those 4 maps

Thanks for the updated review! glad you are still enjoying the gauge!

To answer your question...

For jb3 map switching, you have access to all 10 maps, because you must pre-select your map for slot #2. It takes the convenience of the pedal map switcher, and then adds "real time" switching of 4 maps, including your customized one.

bc.1 is race gas (jb3 map 7)
bc.2 is pedal selector (as if gauge was not there at all.. you configure this map)
bc.3 is high boost (jb3 map 3)
bc.4 is stock/valet

Just put it on bc.2 , and then program that map to be whatever you want, any of the 10 maps with the pedal selector, and then you can real-time switch between your chosen map, stock/valet, high boost, and race gas... on the fly! These other 3 maps were chosen by Terry, and he said he will allow people to customize those as well if needed...

Last edited by RiXst3r; 05-23-2010 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post

For jb3 map switching, you have access to all 10 maps, because you must pre-select your map for slot #2. It takes the convenience of the pedal map switcher, and then adds "real time" switching of 4 maps, including your customized one.

bc.2 is pedal selector (as if gauge was not there at all.. you configure this map)
bc.4 is stock/valet

Just put it on bc.2 , and then program that map to be whatever you want, any of the 10 maps with the pedal selector, and then you can real-time switch between your chosen map, stock/valet, high boost, and race gas... on the fly! These other 3 maps were chosen by Terry, and he said he will allow people to customize those as well if needed...
Thanks for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
rmw04c
Jewbacca
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post

bc.4 is stock/valet

So with the new v1.23, do these maps go by the number (ie; map 7 on 1.22 is different from map 7 on 1.23 for JB3) or by the map itself?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw04c View Post
So with the new v1.23, do these maps go by the number (ie; map 7 on 1.22 is different from map 7 on 1.23 for JB3) or by the map itself?
I am going to have to defer to RIX. I am not sure of the exact answer right now with all the changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

thanks for the review, this gauge really is amazing
      05-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeneral101 View Post
thanks for the review, this gauge really is amazing
Thanks general. It really is a go to piece on the car that I used almost every single time I drive.
Appreciate 0