E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Loudspeaker Options

05-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Bluestraw
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Loudspeaker Options

Hi All,

I'm in the final stages of ordering a new 320d, and am having trouble figuring out the speaker options. I did some searching on the forum, but couldn't find any 'comparative review' of the various options available. I know the speaker configurations differ, but has anyone managed to listen to the latest 'basic', 'business' and 'professional' speaker upgrades that could help me? My dealer doesn't have any cars with the 'professional' speakers for me to listen to, and the only one with 'business' was old and I'm not sure if that would be a fair comparison.

I don't listen to music at 'ear-bleeding' levels, though certainly louder than my wife likes, and it's typically pretty mainstream (no heavy thumping dance beats for example), so any opinions along those lines would be much appreciated!

Also, if for example I go for the 'business' upgrade, is it possible to 'retrofit' a Logic7/Professional type option later if I want more?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

I'm on the side of great sound and good playback

Hhaving just ordered my 320 I went for Logic 7. Had a full sound system upgrade in my e46 with all new speakers,ampsub and alpine headunit driving it which sounded brilliant thus , so needed something similar.

While the basic audio is far better than the old e46 its still not enough, I found. Clarity is not there. If youre not that high into music the mid range system might be enough, you can always retrofit the Apline Tweater upgrades,

However if you want the best audio experience logic 7 is only way to go, if you can squeeze it into your budget,

I'm picking up my car on friday so will finally be able to test it out in full so drop me a pm
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Personally I would certainly pay the premium for logic7. The professional/loudspeaker is not too bad but the logic7 is a class above.

On the LCI cars, even the standard setup (business, or professional without tweeters in the doors - gives this away) (Correct me If I'm wrong anywhere guys, ) is not too bad.. But if your worried about the sound quality now, whats a few hundred £ to make sure your happy with it. The logic7 setup is very very good for the money.
      05-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
+1 for logic 7 well worth the money.
Even after 32 months it still sometimes surprises me how good is.

Not experienced the difference to the more expensive 'individual Logic 7' option but from what i've read its prob not worth twice as much

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Wingco
Private
Rep
Drives: VW CC GT (2013MY)

Bluestraw, although i have a pre-facelift 320d "Editions", I was in the same boat as you. I felt the standard set-up on the demo cars i'd tried (318d Msport, 320d SE) was particularly poor.
I was coming from a `54-plate A3 standard set up (i.e. non-Bose) which i felt was very good (I'd demo'd the Bose set up and although it was good, I felt it wasn't £440-better!).
So, same dillemma with the E90 order - was the "Hifi Loudspeaker" upgrade £380 quid better than the poor standard, or was I wasting my money?
I'd also learned through long-standing contact in the car audio industry that the 3-series' can be particularly time-consuming and costly to upgrade.
I was getting frustrated with dealers interested in trying to sell me a car (it was a co. car order so I had no say in where the order went), and not able to confirm what particular speaker-options were in any of their stock. Eventually, we DID find an M3 on a dealer forecourt that had the relevant speaker upgrade, so we could listen to and determine if it was worth the money.
In the end, I DID spec this option. Undoubtedly it is better than the standard (not a difficult achievement), but it's still not great. Would have liked to have gone the next step up which was Logic7 that everyone seems to rave about, but options are at my expense TWICE - once to my employer (employees pay for any options), and again to HM Customs & Excise due to increased P11D.

Like others, Logic7 (or whatever it's now called) IS probably worth the money (particularly as it's costly to upgrade by going the non-OEM route), but the "Individual" audio is a significant step-up price wise.
      05-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I had the standard speakers, and upgraded to the Alpine kit which is just about acceptable.

If I was ordering new I would ABSOLUTELY definately get the Logic system without a doubt.

I feel so strongly about it, if I could find the owner of my car that specified it in the first place, I would shake him about vigorously to show how cross I am!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
You'll find it difficult to find someone who can give you personal experience of all three. I've currently got 'basic' and it's crap (no other word for it). My last car had 'logic7' which was amazing. I'd spec it everytime in the future.

So, if you can afford it, go for Logic7, if not go for the Business upgrade. Just don't keep the basic system; you'll be so dissapointed.

As mentoned bfore upgrading at a later date is costly and, franky, a pain in the arse. Get it sorted at the factory so there are no problems.

'tisme' or 'gizze' are probably the best ones on here for advice though (tisme went for 'individual' in the end but think tried most of the variations first) - search for any posts made by him.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Mine has been confirmed to be ready for Friday as long as time permits I will post on friday / sat once I had a good play with the LCI logic 7
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
If it's a question of money, at least go for the BMW Business (formerly known as HiFi) as it gives you tweeters and extra amplification. The basic system is 4 x 15w output and considering your standard after market Kenwood/Pioneer type head unit is 4 x 45w you can see that the system is woefully underpowered.

As I found out, doing the Alpine upgrade costs me much more than the £380 option of BMW business so there is no cheaper way of getting cheaper sound than choosing BMW business or Logic 7 and, if you can spring the extra cost for Logic 7 then absolutely do it as it is well worth it. There is no way you could later get as good a sound and spec as Logic 7 for £820 - unless you a re a dab hand at installing fancy car systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
josbmw
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F11 530d - F07 520d

I've had the three systems, though in three different cars (E87, E61 and E93) over the last 3 years.

If you want to keep cost and sound quality acceptible, go for Business.

My E93 has Logic7. It adds a more balanced sound compared to the Business system and has more audio fine-tuning options plus a higher sound level which is interesting when driving with the top down on the highway.

It all depends on what you expect. If its just for playing music, Business will do.

Jos
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Bluestraw
Rep

Thanks everyone for your replies! I noticed there was a comment about some improvement in the standard system in the new 'LCI' version. Does anyone know if the 'business' speaker upgrade has changed since LCI? i.e. if the standard has improved, is it now already closer to LCI so that the only 'worthwhile' upgrade is to the Logic7 / Professional?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
its pants. go L7
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Standard setup is so very disappointing (read CRAP!) - it really is bad. Poor (non existant) bass, no treble (no tweeters!!), lack of seperation, distorts at moderate volume, I could go on!!!

Defo get at least hi-fi or if you can afford, spec Logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I've got hifi and I think its still tripe. Go L7!
      05-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
Bluestraw
Rep

Damn Damn Damn Damn. Ordered the car Monday, was told I had the rest of this week to change a few options if needed. Just tried to upgrade to L7 audio, to be told the car has already gone into 'build' and had a chassis number issued.

Anyone know if there is anything at all that can be done, or if there is an aftermarket way to get the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

Alpine audio upgrade is as good but alot of energy and will cost you more now...

However, if they told you X date for changes and have now breached that, I'd be spitting blood to get them to change it or threaten to walk. Its their fault. Personally. Your spending a hell of alot of money and deserve to get what you want.
      05-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

I'm no sound purist, to me the sound on the standard system (pro headunit) is 100 times better than my 1 series. I think most people would be pretty happy with it!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
BrianR
Rep
Drives: Black E90 320iSE

I know Logic7 has a very large number of recommendations but if I may, I'd like to say I'm a bit "underwhelmed" at the moment with this option in my new E90 (320SE), which I took delivery of on 1st May.
This is my fourth 3 series, previous audio has been 'BMW Business' which I found quite acceptable (I am a keen music enthusiast but not a hifi fanatic).
This time round I ordered the Logic7 option, which comprises the BWM 'Proffessional', which offers 'Music', 'Cinema', or 'Logic7 Off', and the Logic7 speakers.
On 'Music', all of the sound seems to emanate from the steering wheel area, while on 'Cinema', all of the sound seems to emanate from the centre dash speaker.
'Logic7 Off' sounds better but there is a poor stereo image, and the sound is concentrated between the area behind the steering wheel and the instrument panel.
I have tried the settings recommended in the specific 'eq settings' thread, and if anything the results were worse.
There is certainly plenty of undistorted power and the sound is clean and clear, much more so, in my perception, than the 'BMW Business' option in previous cars.

It seems to me as if the driver's position is getting a 'stereo field' narrowly compressed between the right-hand door speakers, the sub under the driver seat, and the centre dash speaker.
I would like to try disconnecting the centre dash speaker to see if the stereo widens out, does anyone know how I could do this, I would be very interested to hear from others with the logic7 speaker option in '09 E90's as regards how they sound,

Brian

ps I love the car, and can recommend the xenon headlights option
Appreciate 0