E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BT Question

05-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

BT Question

I was showing someone all the functionality of the tool and a question came up regarding the adjustment of service parameters.

Is it possible to adjust the conditional service parameters?

Lets say you wanted an oil change every 7K miles instead of every 15K miles, would you be able to raise the % and get the service light sooner?

If so, it seems like this would not be fair for BMW...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
I was showing someone all the functionality of the tool and a question came up regarding the adjustment of service parameters.

Is it possible to adjust the conditional service parameters?

Lets say you wanted an oil change every 7K miles instead of every 15K miles, would you be able to raise the % and get the service light sooner?

If so, it seems like this would not be fair for BMW...

Yes, but I wouldn't abusive the ability.

BMW performs service audits occasionally.
The CBS is a joke.
      05-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Yes, but I wouldn't abusive the ability.

BMW performs service audits occasionally.
The CBS is a joke.
I don't plan on using it at all. Believe me, I try to stay away from the dealer whenever possible. I even change my own oil just so I don't have to go over there.

However, my % is getting higher on the sparkplugs (I have 23K miles) and the front brakes are a little squeaky so I will have to go in sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
I don't plan on using it at all. Believe me, I try to stay away from the dealer whenever possible. I even change my own oil just so I don't have to go over there.

However, my % is getting higher on the sparkplugs (I have 23K miles) and the front brakes are a little squeaky so I will have to go in sooner or later.
Why not change them yourself to a pad with less brake dust?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Why not change them yourself to a pad with less brake dust?
Bubbles keeps giving me crap about not tracking the car and getting set to shut him up is breaking my pockets:

Helmet = $275

New street tires (thanks Procede and JB3) mounted and balanced GY F1 Asym = $1,050

Intercooler (looking at AA, Helix and VK) = $600 - $1,100

Downpipes (looking at ASR and VK) = $300 - $700

Racing Rims and Tires = ??? Researching...

Breakpads = xxxx

The car is a money pit!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

anyone knows how to display degree F instead of C in BT software? I dont want to convert everytime I log.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
anyone knows how to display degree F instead of C in BT software? I dont want to convert everytime I log.
Looking for this info as well!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It is not available, but.... there is a trick.

You need to create a new column in the Excel output and call it IAT (F) in the first row (1). Next, notice what column the Inlet Air Temperatures (C) are listed in... B, C, D, etc. Let's say C for this example. Then click on row 2 in your new IAT (F) column and type the following equation in =C2*1.8+32. That will convert the one row to F. Finally, highlight the entry and move the mouse to the bottom right corner until it looks like a "+" sign. Click and drag to the bottom of the data and it will populate the entire column and convert it to F.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
It is not available, but.... there is a trick.

You need to create a new column in the Excel output and call it IAT (F) in the first row (1). Next, notice what column the Inlet Air Temperatures (C) are listed in... B, C, D, etc. Let's say C for this example. Then click on row 2 in your new IAT (F) column and type the following equation in =C2*1.8+32. That will convert the one row to F. Finally, highlight the entry and move the mouse to the bottom right corner until it looks like a "+" sign. Click and drag to the bottom of the data and it will populate the entire column and convert it to F.
Thanks man but that is something I dont want to do everytime. I like to see F on the screen when I stare over. I emailed BT and hopefully they will added the feature so users can choose either unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man but that is something I dont want to do everytime. I like to see F on the screen when I stare over. I emailed BT and hopefully they will added the feature so users can choose either unit.
That would require the conversion to be done on their end. This is a german car so the units are metric.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Bubbles keeps giving me crap about not tracking the car and getting set to shut him up is breaking my pockets:

Helmet = $275

New street tires (thanks Procede and JB3) mounted and balanced GY F1 Asym = $1,050

Intercooler (looking at AA, Helix and VK) = $600 - $1,100

Downpipes (looking at ASR and VK) = $300 - $700

Racing Rims and Tires = ??? Researching...

Breakpads = xxxx

The car is a money pit!!!
Sure blame me that you've spent $1k on dynos

Seriously though, as a track newbie I'd recommend you remove all power mods until you learn the basics. With a 6MT you shouldn't have heat issues even with hot ambient temps. All you need is an alignment (punch out the alignment pins) and good attitude.

I guarantee you one thing, after one track day you'd wish you started with suspension mods instead of power mods.

Quote:

Sparkplugs are easy but a bit pricey so I understand. Bring some plugs to the track, I'll let you borrow my sparkplug tool.

Last edited by Bubbles; 05-22-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I would not count on it, just learn the metric.

This would require an on-the-fly conversion which saps CPU power.
      05-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Sure blame me that you've spent $1k on dynos

Seriously though, as a track newbie I'd recommend you removed all power mods until you learn the basics. With a 6MT you shouldn't heat issues even with hot ambient temps. All you need is an alignment (punch out the alignment pins) and good attitude.

I guarantee you one thing, after one track day you'd wish you started with suspension mods instead of power mods.
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see someone referring to the "track" BMWs belong on.
      05-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

I might have to look into getting those brakes as well but back on topic:

I know the oil is thynthetic and all but 20k mile intervals calculated by the computer seems crazy to me. I am thinking of changing at least every 10k and not resetting the values so BMW can change the oil after the next 10k.

Is this overkill?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
I might have to look into getting those brakes as well but back on topic:

I know the oil is thynthetic and all but 20k mile intervals calculated by the computer seems crazy to me. I am thinking of changing at least every 10k and not resetting the values so BMW can change the oil after the next 10k.

Is this overkill?
Not at all, it's probably a good idea.