E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Questions on Lowering my 328xi 4x4

06-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Vacek
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 X3

Questions on Lowering my 328xi 4x4

Ok,

You have all seen my "Holy Crap 4x4 Monster Truck" 328xi by now .... and I've grown such a complex, I need to lower it.

So as I search the endless posts here on lowering, I thought I would ask a question to all those who have done it.

Here is what I want to accomplish:

1.) Lower my car purely so it does NOT look like a 4x4 anymore
2.) Keep factory ride (or as close too) I do not drive like a maniac, so additional handling is not required.
3.) Ability to "rise" up a little for the winter (optional)
4.) I do NOT want it crazy low, rolling fenders, or anything of that sort .... just a reasonable lowering to look good.

I'm looking for as simple as possible, not overly expensive, but do not want to jeopardize quality overall. (I will not take the cheap way out, just for looks)

Suggestions ??

Thanks in advance.
K

Last edited by Vacek; 06-13-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

If you want to raise your car here and there, than coilovers are the only way to go. KW or H&R make coilovers specifically for the xi.

You will have to do some research on which setup you want, but they will give you all the stuff your looking for above.

Another way to go that a lot of members have done (including me) was replacing my springs with sport springs (H&R or Eibach).

These are pretty much your only options as selections is limited with xi system.

A lot of peoply say H&R coilovers rust pretty fast however I am not not sure how true that is. KW also have issues of squeaking on bumps, but that seems to be specific to the 335 xi There is a lot of good info on this board addressing all the setups for xi.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Vacek
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
If you want to raise your car here and there, than coilovers are the only way to go. KW or H&R make coilovers specifically for the xi.

You will have to do some research on which setup you want, but they will give you all the stuff your looking for above.

Another way to go that a lot of members have done (including me) was replacing my springs with sport springs (H&R or Eibach).

These are pretty much your only options as selections is limited with xi system.

A lot of peoply say H&R coilovers rust pretty fast however I am not not sure how true that is. KW also have issues of squeaking on bumps, but that seems to be specific to the 335 xi There is a lot of good info on this board addressing all the setups for xi.
Thanks !

I feel a bit buried in all the info here on lowering ... so Thought I'd ask for a second and third opinion

I like the spring idea, and may go that route once I can figure out which ones to go with
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 13'FR-S/15' F80 M3

coilover will be your choice!

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

Lots to read in the XI subforum.

I think the H&R coilover would be the leading choice for you.

I've also read that the issues re: rusting of the H&R are historical (old models) but not applicable to the newer models since they are aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
tolkino
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM E92 328i xDrive

Having a 4-day experience with lowering springs on stock shocks, I dont quite recommend you to go that route unless you change the shocks as well, which will end up being more expensive than coilovers.. so u might as well go with h&r coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosaic View Post
Thanks !

I feel a bit buried in all the info here on lowering ... so Thought I'd ask for a second and third opinion

I like the spring idea, and may go that route once I can figure out which ones to go with
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkino View Post
Having a 4-day experience with lowering springs on stock shocks, I dont quite recommend you to go that route unless you change the shocks as well, which will end up being more expensive than coilovers.. so u might as well go with h&r coilovers
+1

You can't just change the springs, you have to change the entire coil overs. Anyone who studied a bit of engineering will know that the OEM suspensions in a sports car were designed to reach something known as the Critical Damping Ratio (google it for my info).

If you simply alter the spring, you change an important parameter in the suspension system and you will inevitably fuck up the handling of your car, which will become either over damped (very bouncy) or under damped (very bumpy).
Appreciate 0