E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Questions about lease end

07-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Questions about lease end

My lease is ending in September of this year, and I just recieved the call from BMW and they want to setup a time for appointment to inspect the car before return date in mid-Sept., so my questions are the following:

1) Since my car has mods (all bolt on stuff), should I return my car to stock before inspection?

2) My car is over the mileage allowed as per the lease agreement by about 10,000 kms, since I will be leasing another BMW, do you think they can just write it off and I don't have the pay the over-mileage penalty?

3) Since I am a returning customer, has anyone leased another new BMW and was able to get better deals in terms of discounts or better lease rates, like loyalty discounts?

Thats all the questions I can think of for now, but any additional "lease end" info provided by anyone would be greatly appriciatated. I am sure other members can make use of the info too!

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
f30Seth
Futuristic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: f30 328i AW

I think there is a promotion going on for returning lease customers, and I believe e90sexion took an advantage of that promotion and got his 1er. try PMing him about it.
      07-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
-loyalty discount is only 0.5% off of what ever posted rate they have at the time you renegotiate your next lease (if a new/better promo comes up before you take delivery, you should get the lower of the two rates).

-the high kms are gonna be interesting. that's $2,500 in overages if you signed on for the standard $0.25/km overage. if you're certain you're going to get another bimmer, you should be able to negotiate this down or off completely.

-the mods should come off before the inspection. they're going to take the fine tooth comb out and you should try and have the car looking as best as it can; so may as well start to part out now or save 'em for the new ride.

Good Luck!
      07-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
EdmBimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo View Post
-loyalty discount is only 0.5% off of what ever posted rate they have at the time you renegotiate your next lease (if a new/better promo comes up before you take delivery, you should get the lower of the two rates).

-the high kms are gonna be interesting. that's $2,500 in overages if you signed on for the standard $0.25/km overage. if you're certain you're going to get another bimmer, you should be able to negotiate this down or off completely.

-the mods should come off before the inspection. they're going to take the fine tooth comb out and you should try and have the car looking as best as it can; so may as well start to part out now or save 'em for the new ride.

Good Luck!
He speaks the truth!

Make sure you have tires with about 40% thread on there.

Just wondering, did you get a pull back offer sent to you? We did that for the 335d and they took care of the remaining payments.
      07-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo View Post

Good Luck!
wow, thanks for the info, they have been trying to call me for the last 2 days to setup an apt, since i still have all my mods on the car, i am going to remove them ASAP and tell them i am on business trip for 2 weeks to buy myself some time

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc88 View Post
He speaks the truth!

Make sure you have tires with about 40% thread on there.

Just wondering, did you get a pull back offer sent to you? We did that for the 335d and they took care of the remaining payments.
thanks for the tips, my tires are pretty much brand new as i had 19s on, they have like 95% thread, i am going to turn some of those tires into smoke b4 returning the car

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

yeah.. I think I pretty got a good promotions for returning customer..
1) they terminated my remaining 7month so I could get another BMW...
2) I had 2 paint crack on my front bumper, 2 bald passenger RFT tires, big scrape under front bumper.. but no call from BMW.. looks like they just let it go since I got another BMW.....
3) since they waived my remaning 7month, I didnt get another 0.5% discount....instead there were already promo going on for 1 series.. so I took the promo and got descent discount from the SA.....

hope it helps...and I am sure you will get better deal than me.. since you made all the terms finished.....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

I returned mine about a month ago now. I ended up buying a mini as a replacement and talking with that dealer (and the BMW dealer I originally got the 3 from since I was also looking at a 128i) it sounded like they could reduce the lease return payment, but it would basically come out of any deal you would negotiate on the next car so in reality you wouldn't save that much.

As for the lease end inspection, as others have said, put it back to stock. To be honest they didn't go over it as closely as I thought. They noticed a few scratches/scuffs but it was all within the allowed limits and I just got charged $125 for a pretty badly curbed rim.

EDIT - oh I forgot I was also told the returning customer discount (0.5% off finance/lease rate) was ending at the end of June.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

i did not do a lease return yet, but from what i've been reading, the company that does lease return inspection is an independent company that has nothing to do with bmw dealership.. and even if ( and that a big if ) you somehow manage to get dealer not to charge you for the millage they pretty much got you by the balls, because they can make it like they won't charge you for the millage and at the same time give you a shitty deal... but please update this thread and let us know what happened, i'm very curious
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Motorchoco
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport

i recently returned a 06 330i early and took a 335i. (The lease was supposed to be until December)

This is what I was told from the salesman:
They are usually quite flexible with over mileage charge (meaning they can waive part or all of it if you purchase a new vehicle) However, they can't do ANYTHING for damages and wear and tear items such as chipped windshield and tire less than the minimum tread.

BMW also sent me an "evaluator" 6 months before the lease end date. The evaluator is plastic thingy which let you measure and evaluate whether certain damages are acceptable and whether your tire meet the minimum tread requirement.
Apparently, BMW is quite lenient with exterior scratches and dents as long as it is less than 2". But you need a tire with minimum 4/32" tread and a windshield free of chips or stars.

Haven't got my return lease statement yet so I don't know what I'm gonna get charged with.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorchoco View Post
i recently returned a 06 330i early and took a 335i. (The lease was supposed to be until December)

They are usually quite flexible with over mileage charge (meaning they can waive part or all of it if you purchase a new vehicle) However, they can't do ANYTHING for damages and wear and tear items such as chipped windshield and tire less than the minimum tread.

BMW also sent me an "evaluator" 6 months before the lease end date. The evaluator is plastic thingy which let you measure and evaluate whether certain damages are acceptable and whether your tire meet the minimum tread requirement.
Apparently, BMW is quite lenient with exterior scratches and dents as long as it is less than 2". But you need a tire with minimum 4/32" tread and a windshield free of chips or stars.

Haven't got my return lease statement yet so I don't know what I'm gonna get charged with.
I am sure you will be fine
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorchoco View Post

Thanks for the info, its funny how I got the exact opposite answer from BMW Financial today when I called them.

They told me that there is nothing they can do about the over mileage as it's "written in the lease agreement" but they can sometimes overlook any small dents and scratches on the car

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
DaRickSta81
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi Coupe

Garage List
2009 328xi, e92  [10.00]
2006 325i, e90  [0.00]
Just returned my '06 e90 with the pull-ahead program. They paid 5 months of my old lease and gave me 3.4% (standard 3.9-0.5 loyalty discount) financing rate over 72 months for my "new" '09 e92. Got extra discounts cause the e92 is a demo car with 5000kms when delivered.

My old car had no mods and was in immaculate condition with the exception of 1x 2" scratch in the leatherette sport seats which I covered up with a sharpie Haven't seen a letter from the "independent" lease return inspector yet.

I'm not sure about your lease contract; but mine was $0.15/km over the contracted amount. I was way under when I returned so I didn't have to pay it. I'm sure you can negotiate something upon your return.

Also, if you are pulling mods off ur car and willing to part with them - please post them up! I have a sparkling new e92 dying to be modded! (and now I can since it's financed and not leased! )

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

what about curb rush underneath front bumper? i scraped it on the curb one time :/
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Most car companies use an independant service such as AutoVIN to do the end of lease inspection. I actually am returning my wife's sh*t box Passat Wagon in early August and had the inspection this morning. My advice: be REALLY REALLY nice to the inspector as they have a lot of discretion as to what they can ding you for. My wife had curb rash on 3 rims, one of tires had part of the rubber missing, she had horrible scratches all over her roof (ask Picus - he tried to buff them out) and her interior looked like some frat kids were partying in it for a year. I shmoozed this guy for 30 minutes and was super nice and he waived EVERYTHING (including the tire that he originally said had to be replaced). I am shocked that I'm going to get my security deposit back when I return this crap mobile.
      07-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #16
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Most car companies use an independant service such as AutoVIN to do the end of lease inspection. I actually am returning my wife's sh*t box Passat Wagon in early August and had the inspection this morning. My advice: be REALLY REALLY nice to the inspector as they have a lot of discretion as to what they can ding you for. My wife had curb rash on 3 rims, one of tires had part of the rubber missing, she had horrible scratches all over her roof (ask Picus - he tried to buff them out) and her interior looked like some frat kids were partying in it for a year. I shmoozed this guy for 30 minutes and was super nice and he waived EVERYTHING (including the tire that he originally said had to be replaced). I am shocked that I'm going to get my security deposit back when I return this crap mobile.
lol!! please give us tips on how to do that too
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
flyer333
GSS CORP.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90/E93

If you are going to buyout the car do you still have to do the inspection?

Don't teach a pig how to read, it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #18
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer333 View Post
If you are going to buyout the car do you still have to do the inspection?
why would you?
      07-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
what about curb rush underneath front bumper? i scraped it on the curb one time :/
I got away with mine I only got dinged for curb rash on one rim (which was pretty bad to be fair). At the end he asked me if I knew of any other damage, it must have just slipped my mindm
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

I just had my lease end inspection performed and was quite suprised to see $700 worth of damages reported.

My car is nearly flawless, with only 2 minor curb rashes and some scuffing underneath the front bumper. I find the end of lease guide quite vague, as it uses terminology such as "minor scuffs" (for the wheels) ... but who determines what is considered minor? Online (ownsercircle.bmw.ca) it says that bumper scuffs are acceptable, but that is something they charged me $450 for.

Is there a process that one can go through to dispute the inspection findings? My previous lease returns all had much more significant damage (including significant curb rash), and I have never had any end of lease charges.

To top it off, I am 20k UNDER my mileage limit.

Any ideas on how I can perhaps try and get the charges reduced?
Appreciate 0