E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Can OEM alarm be self-installed in my car?

08-03-2009, 04:51 AM   #1
T335i
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Can OEM alarm be self-installed in my car?

Hello all,

I do realize that there are already several alarm related posts, but still some unanswered questions.

I got myself a '07 E92 335i a few months ago, love the car, just need an alarm. Now, my car is not pre-wired, already looked at the instructions, lot of work, but do-able.
Big issue is that the interior roof liner(is that the correct word for that?) needs replacement, because my car only has the interior light, not the preparation for the ultrasonic module. And replacing the whole liner is expensive.
Now, is it possible to cut my original liner so that the module and the plastic cover fit?? and will the attachment points for the module be there?

thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I believe that you will be able to cut the headlining and install the module. You might have to fashion some form of mounting point, but that won't be difficult to do.

You should contact a member called SoYank, who had the OEM alarm retrofitted in his US-spec car - he'll be able to give you all the relevant information
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
T335i
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Ok, I'll do that.. just have to make sure that all is possible before I cut my liner in pieces!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Don't forget that there's a hell of a lot of coding to be done as well, which you'll need to get done at a BMW dealer. If you get the install wrong, and they can't code the car, they'll still charge you for the wasted time, at probably €150 per hour labour or something silly like that!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
T335i
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Good point, I do know coding has to be done, but if it is possible i like to do the install myself, BMW ask a good €1600/£1360 to do the complete install, lot of money, but maybe trying do do it myself is just a little to much!
By the way, dont understand why anyone would order a car without the alarm...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

I think that's the wrong question....

The question should be why doesn't the manufacturer sell the car with an alarm as standard, like almost every other car manufacturer in the world ???!!!!

To be honest, I'd only do the install yourself if you are absolutely sure you are competent enough to do it without making a mistake. If you screw up the headliner, that's a new one straight away, at your own cost. If BMW do it, if it goes wrong, they fix it. Agree a fixed price with them - I'm sure they can be bargained down a little bit. Then if it were me, I'd shove it their way and let them do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Does anybody take any notice when a car alarm goes off tho?

Seems like a lot of money to spend when there are some excellent, and a LOT cheaper aftermarket alarms - a tracker is 'only' about £350 and may get you a discount on the insurance also
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I believe that you will be able to cut the headlining and install the module. You might have to fashion some form of mounting point, but that won't be difficult to do.

You should contact a member called SoYank, who had the OEM alarm retrofitted in his US-spec car - he'll be able to give you all the relevant information
The difference between T335i's car and mine is mine was prewired for the alarm. The "retrofit" was simply an installation of the three components and attaching them to the wires (bonnet switch, sonic module in the headliner, alarm module in the wheelwell). The coding is about £100. As for T335i's car I couldn't fathom what it would cost nor whether €1600 was a fair price even if it included the parts. BTW, my headliner doesn't look like the one in the OP photograph. Here's mine.
Attached Images

Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Surely UK spec cars have an alarm fitted as standard?
      08-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
T335i
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

That plastic cover in front of the rear pax light module is what I dont have, and is the reason why the headliner has to be replaced. It is an awful lot of money, but it is nicely integrated, most likely better than an aftermarket system.
Still the question remains how effective an alarm really is. For sure it is really difficult to steal the car without the 'key', Guess an alarm just protects against someone stealing stuff out of the car....
Other question: How can I check if bmw is able to track/trace my car using mobile phone signals? I do have a phone connection integrated in my car, a sharkfin on my roof, but no nav. Is the phone connection enough?

Thanks,
By the way, totaly agree that these cars should come with an factory alarm standard!
Appreciate 0