E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > looking for exhaust.

08-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
peopleontheradio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

looking for exhaust.

i am currently looking for an exhaust for my 335. and really dont know what i want. So many to choose from. I want dual exit not quad. I would like Ti but am open to stainless suggestions. I want somethign that sounds really good. not raspy. more of a deep tone. Anyways i need your guys helping finding what exhaust i should purchase. I would also like big tips to fill the bumper cut outs. I am currently looking at hks..jic..encore innovation??

thanks in advance.
-mikey
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Hi Mikey,

There are a lot of options out there, you really need to narrow it down by material, budget and whether you want a muffler or full cat back system. We are running the AA system on Jon's 335 and are happy with the sound and power output. This is a full cat back system with a dual stainless steel setup for the rear. If you are after quad, Remus makes an excellent muffler replacement with quad tips that fits the 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

I've seen people with ae exhaust are pretty happy too
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Hi Mikey,

There are a lot of options out there, you really need to narrow it down by material, budget and whether you want a muffler or full cat back system. We are running the AA system on Jon's 335 and are happy with the sound and power output. This is a full cat back system with a dual stainless steel setup for the rear. If you are after quad, Remus makes an excellent muffler replacement with quad tips that fits the 335.
hey mikey dont go w/ either of these.

AA customer service isn't that great, i had to deal w/ them to help l4w pick up a USED AA exhaust from them and they couldn't even ship it out in a timely manner. nick apparently u didn't read hes not lookin for quads

i guess u could go for AE's exhaust or hit up l4w for his encore exhaust, its very similar to my exhaust note if that helps, and i kno u've heard my arqray quads

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:02 AM   #5
peopleontheradio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
hey mikey dont go w/ either of these.

AA customer service isn't that great, i had to deal w/ them to help l4w pick up a USED AA exhaust from them and they couldn't even ship it out in a timely manner. nick apparently u didn't read hes not lookin for quads

i guess u could go for AE's exhaust or hit up l4w for his encore exhaust, its very similar to my exhaust note if that helps, and i kno u've heard my arqray quads
ya i dont plan on going with aa at all. and yes your arqrays sound so good. ill look more into the encore for sure. i am kinda contemplating trying a single exit but still not sure..what do you think about it if it was done right?? not sure how it would look either. thanks john
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
jon@karbonwerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

hey mikey - based on your criteria, it sounds like hks is the exhaust you're looking for
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@karbonwerke View Post
hey mikey - based on your criteria, it sounds like hks is the exhaust you're looking for
I have to agree. They make a TI tip exhaust if you are interested too. Bimmerworld has both I believe and great customer service. Here is a review of the HKS exhaust:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290928
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleontheradio View Post
ya i dont plan on going with aa at all. and yes your arqrays sound so good. ill look more into the encore for sure. i am kinda contemplating trying a single exit but still not sure..what do you think about it if it was done right?? not sure how it would look either. thanks john
single unit is askin to be flamed by everyone mikey. it would be pretty sick that someone would do it besides like a track wttc car or somethin, but stick w/ the dual look

hks is nice, but for the price, i dont find it'll be worth it for u. i've said this to my friend b4 that i'd like to listen to wat i paid for u kno and u dont get that w/ the hks.

u got pm.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
single unit is askin to be flamed by everyone mikey. it would be pretty sick that someone would do it besides like a track wttc car or somethin, but stick w/ the dual look

hks is nice, but for the price, i dont find it'll be worth it for u. i've said this to my friend b4 that i'd like to listen to wat i paid for u kno and u dont get that w/ the hks.

u got pm.
Are you kidding me? Have you listened to the sound clips? This is a completely catless exhaust, independently dyno'd at the most horsepower, smooth and deep at idle, and strong/throaty at WOT. If you think you don't hear this exhaust then you are not listening to the clips I posted. It is just not raspy, doesn't drone, and not a fart can. In fact Grassroots already did the sound testing for you...

Peak DB Directly from the Grassroots article:

Stock - 95 DB
BMP Supersprint (axle-back) - 96 DB
BMP Supersprint (full system) - 98 DB
UUC Corsa RSC335 - 97 DB
Borla - 97 DB
Autobahn Exotics - 97 DB
BimmerWorld HKS - 98 DB

HKS simply mastered a smooth/deep idle with a deep/throaty WOT exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you listened to the sound clips? This is a completely catless exhaust, independently dyno'd at the most horsepower, smooth and deep at idle, and strong/throaty at WOT. If you think you don't hear this exhaust then you are not listening to the clips I posted. It is just not raspy, doesn't drone, and not a fart can. In fact Grassroots already did the sound testing for you...

Stock - 95 DB
UUC Corsa RSC335 - 97 DB
Borla - 97 DB
Autobahn Exotics - 97 DB
BimmerWorld HKS - 98 DB

i hav 3 friends w/ this exhaust one e90, two e92. it is NOT that loud. i dont need a youtube sound clip to kno wat it sounds like

sorry, but i think u're tripping. its a quality piece, looks great and bolts on perfectly, but loud and agressive.....? it is NOT

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Stock - 95 DB
UUC Corsa RSC335 - 97 DB
Borla - 97 DB
Autobahn Exotics - 97 DB
BimmerWorld HKS - 98 DB

I'd have to agree with ra2fanatic. Im not doubting the exhaust quality/construction, not doubting the power gains, but i've heard this exhaust on 3 different cars and it is downright quiet, even at WOT. Dont get me wrong, the exhaust still sounds good and has quite a distinct sound, but the fact is its still really quiet. If thats what you are looking for then more power to you, but i, like ra2fanatic, also like a bit more sound out of my exhausts. And i dont need online sounds clips or magazine articles to tell me what i've personally heard in person. i can make the distinction between quiet and loud pretty well thank you very much.
      08-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i hav 3 friends w/ this exhaust one e90, two e92. it is NOT that loud. i dont need a youtube sound clip to kno wat it sounds like

sorry, but i think u're tripping. its a quality piece, looks great and bolts on perfectly, but loud and agressive.....? it is NOT
I am not saying in anyway that it is loud. I am simply saying it is smooth and deep at idle, and deep/throaty at WOT. If it is quiet, then please explain to me how it tested at a higher DB than the AE exhaust? I am really not trying to be difficult, but there are facts out there from independent testing that distinctly shows something different. It is aggressive at WOT period.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I'd have to agree with ra2fanatic. Im not doubting the exhaust quality/construction, not doubting the power gains, but i've heard this exhaust on 3 different cars and it is downright quiet, even at WOT. Dont get me wrong, the exhaust still sounds good and has quite a distinct sound, but the fact is its still really quiet. If thats what you are looking for then more power to you, but i, like ra2fanatic, also like a bit more sound out of my exhausts. And i dont need online sounds clips or magazine articles to tell me what i've personally heard in person. i can make the distinction between quiet and loud pretty well thank you very much.
Ok. It appears your ears are more accurate than sound level measuring equipment. I guess dyno's also should be thrown out because we have "butt dynos".

I don't mind anyone choosing anything they like, however I do take offense to people spreading misinformation about other products. Clearly the DB tests tell the story.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

You can't go wrong with bastuck, just love the deep tone of it with my ar dp's...

this is with 2nd cat delete and magnaflow x-pipe

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #15
jon@karbonwerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am not saying in anyway that it is loud. I am simply saying it is smooth and deep at idle, and deep/throaty at WOT. If it is quiet, then please explain to me how it tested at a higher DB than the AE exhaust? I am really not trying to be difficult, but there are facts out there from independent testing that distinctly shows something different. It is aggressive at WOT period.
Quote:
Ok. It appears your ears are more accurate than sound level measuring equipment. I guess dyno's also should be thrown out because we have "butt dynos".

I don't mind anyone choosing anything they like, however I do take offense to people spreading misinformation about other products. Clearly the DB tests tell the story.
Relax guys, just seems like there is some miscommunication going on here.

FBIS, I don't think anyone is disputing the accuracy of sound level measuring equipment nor the independent testing done by Grassroots. What is deemed "loud" will differ from one person to the next...it is a subjective judgment based on the individual's perception. For the record, I consider both the HKS and AE exhausts to be on the quiet side when compared to many other aftermarket exhausts I've listened to.

Given the information by the OP, the HKS exhaust does appear to be the best fit. However, his description of sound does not address db levels...so it seems the whole sound level debate is useless here unless the OP gives more specific information regarding what he's looking for sound-wise.

Back to the topic...Mikey, maybe try checking out offerings from Dixis or Arqray if you feel the HKS is too quiet for your tastes. Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #16
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Relax guys, just seems like there is some miscommunication going on here.

FBIS, I don't think anyone is disputing the accuracy of sound level measuring equipment nor the independent testing done by Grassroots. What is deemed "loud" will differ from one person to the next...it is a subjective judgment based on the individual's perception. For the record, I consider both the HKS and AE exhausts to be on the quiet side when compared to many other aftermarket exhausts I've listened to.

Given the information by the OP, the HKS exhaust does appear to be the best fit. However, his description of sound does not address db levels...so it seems the whole sound level debate is useless here unless the OP gives more specific information regarding what he's looking for sound-wise.

Back to the topic...Mikey, maybe try checking out offerings from Dixis or Arqray if you feel the HKS is too quiet for your tastes. Hope that helps
Jon, I respect what you are saying, but so much misinformation is spread. I am just passionate about making sure these hard working companies are not misrepresented. AE has been touted for having the right "loudness" and I am just saying HKS is almost identical in DB. There is a big difference between quiet and just the right sound. I hope you can understand that.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #17
jon@karbonwerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Jon, I respect what you are saying, but so much misinformation is spread. I am just passionate about making sure these hard working companies are not misrepresented. AE has been touted for having the right "loudness" and I am just saying HKS is almost identical in DB. There is a big difference between quiet and just the right sound. I hope you can understand that.
I understand your position, but again - "the right sound" is subjective. It will differ from one person to the next...hopefully you can live with the fact that what you consider to be the right sound might not be what someone else considers to be right for them.

If it's any consolation, I am quite fond of the HKS exhaust myself. The build quality is solid, and I like that it is not as loud as others such as the Eisenmann or Vishnu/Harmann Motive. Of course, there are people who feel those are not loud enough, and have pursued even louder alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #18
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I understand your position, but again - "the right sound" is subjective. It will differ from one person to the next...hopefully you can live with the fact that what you consider to be the right sound might not be what someone else considers to be right for them.

If it's any consolation, I am quite fond of the HKS exhaust myself. The build quality is solid, and I like that it is not as loud as others such as the Eisenmann or Vishnu/Harmann Motive. Of course, there are people who feel those are not loud enough, and have pursued even louder alternatives.
I 100% agree with you. I am not disputing "right sound". I am disputing the statement "i'd like to listen to wat i paid for u kno and u dont get that w/ the hks". In fact you do get that with the HKS.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #19
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:

Im spreading misinformation? Im sorry if i dont agree with you and wont let you force your opinion onto me. Hate to break it to you, but just because you deem this exhaust to sound so great doesnt make it the end all be all. You may think it sounds perfect and aggressive, but i, as well as ra2fanatic and plenty of other socal guys who've heard this exhaust first hand, and are not going off some decibel test from a magazine, all agree that this exhaust is quiet.

Does that make me more right then you? No, just as you have your own opinion, that is my opinion. Sound, just as everything else, is subjective. No need to get so defensive just because someone doesnt agree with you.

Quote:
And I hope you can understand that just because what you deem is quiet or loud might not be what others feel. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
      08-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Im spreading misinformation? Im sorry if i dont agree with you and wont let you force your opinion onto me. Hate to break it to you, but just because you deem this exhaust to sound so great doesnt make it the end all be all. You may think it sounds perfect and aggressive, but i, as well as ra2fanatic and plenty of other socal guys who've heard this exhaust first hand, and are not going off some decibel test from a magazine, all agree that this exhaust is quiet.

Does that make me more right then you? No, thats just my opinion, just as you have your own opinion. Sound, just as everything else, is subjective. No need to get so defensive just because someone doesnt agree with you.

And I hope you can understand that just because what you deem is quiet or loud might not be what others feel. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
I apologize if I came across aggressive. That was really not my intention.

Let me just reiterate my point. This exhaust tested slightly louder than the AE exhaust, so from a volume standpoint they are similar.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
I apologize if I came across aggressive. That was really not my intention.

Let me just reiterate my point. This exhaust tested slightly louder than the AE exhaust, so from a volume standpoint they are similar.
i respect that. And i apologize if i came off as arrogant. I was merely trying to give the OP my opinion.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
      08-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #22
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i respect that. And i apologize if i came off as arrogant. I was merely trying to give the OP my opinion.

Lets just agree to disagree
Sounds good! Regardless we have a lot of great options now for our car and it gets better everyday!
Appreciate 0